“Good stay but they prefer foreigners and reception could be more friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Star Residency

Star Residency
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels in Madurai
New York City, New York
“Good stay but they prefer foreigners and reception could be more friendly”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I would have given them 4 stars but for the fact that when I booked they said the rooms were full and when my friend who was a foreigner called 2 minutes later they had a room for him.

Pros: Good location, great service in the restaurant, very friendly staff. Clean rooms, internet access. Housekeeping is good.

Neg: Reception is not that friendly and that is the first contact point for any guest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank soaringtree

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is one of best business hotel in madurai.Overall the stay was comfortable mainly for business trip .On the way to Airport and main bus stand.Little bit far from main bus stand.
Ambience : Good
Food : Average
Service: Excellent

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed for a night here enroute to Thekkady. The pickup from the train station was arranged but we located the driver only after some difficulty. We had asked for an extra bed for our kids but realised that they only provide a mattress and not a fold away bed which shocked us. All four of us ended sleeping in one bed which was very uncomfortable. The breakfast buffer was however good and the selection available was also good. Room service was efficient and on time but we found that the front desk staff didnt smile very much.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank priashok
Pune
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Madurai is a temple city of South India. It is famous for Meenakshi Temple and many other temples.

We stayed at Hotel Star Residency during holi in March 2011. I was traveling with family to Rameshwaram. The hotel was reasonably priced around Rs. 3000 ($60) for one night. The hotel offered me discount on the final price as well.

I was able to see lot of foreigners in the hotel. It is a small hotel with reasonable aminities and perfect for the price charged. It is 2 kms from Meenakshi temple and other attractions are near by. Good place to stay if you wish to see the city.

The breakfast & food is limited, so I won't advise you to eat main meals here. Since the breakfast is complimentary, you can have the breakfast and rest of the meals can be eaten outside.

My overall experience was good value for great price.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Professor07
San Jose, California
Reviewed January 11, 2011

My room was on the fourth floor by indian counting or fifth floor according to the US. We had a king bed and I was pleasantly surprised that the king bed in India is exactly same size as we have in the US. In some of the other hotels we had stayed at, the king bed was 2 tiny beds pulled together.
The staff was eager to wait on you, prompt, clean and unpretentious. The bathrooms were clean! The room was spacious and comfy. The only reason my sleep rating was lowered is because some songs started playing outside the hotel very loudly, very early in the morning. Can't really fault the hotel for that, but be prepared to get out of bed early to start the touring ;) We managed to see more thanks to the early start.
Roof top restaurant was good, but had a hard time handling a crowded night. The downstairs restaurant was dull. In room dining can't be beat when traveling with kids and this hotel is quick with it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank mom22s
tamilnad,India
Reviewed November 20, 2010

I had a nice experience to stay in star residency in madurai,very courteous staffs from reception to room service-we arranged a function in their conference room and they did it to our surprise-excellent team work-we had a buffet dinner with best service ever.My thanks to their GM Mr.Raja gopal,Mr.sikkander and Ibrahim.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Imraan
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on my recent business trip to Madurai & would describe my experience at this place as excellent. This was my 1st ever trip to Madurai. Before reaching hotel I was really concerned about the quality of hotels here, but once I was at Star Residency, I felt at ease.
I stayed at a room on 3rd floor. It was good, clean & spacious with nice bed(unfortunately I was alone);). It also had a nice LCD tv. Bathroom was also in good condition. Restaurant served good food & had nice ambiance. I did enjoy the breakfast.
I have stayed in hotels in smaller towns & most of them have very low standards but this was an exception & I really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business