“value for money”

Hotel Northgate
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Madurai
“value for money”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

excellent hotel at an affordable rate.. situated at the centre of madurai... courteous service..
neat rooms ..afresh..
buffet break fast could have been better..overall quality of food should improve...
no fitness centre..
but , truly it's value for money

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
JoeDominicRichard, Manager at Hotel Northgate, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in North Gate. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
At the same time, we have paid close attention to all your comments. I assure you that we will do all we can to improve the matters you have brought to our attention. In the hope that your next stay with us will exceed all your expectations.

+91 9840888450

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a night on 21-Mar. I booked the hotel because of 24 hrs checkout policy and prices are quite affordable. Convenient for me as I was driving back to Bangalore from Kanyakumari and wanted to stop at Madurai to visit Meenakshi Temple. Booked a Deluxe room through AGODA.
Upon arrival I was given a standard room instead of deluxe. Not sure how they can make that mistake when its clearly written in voucher about the room type. Anyways when I entered the room it didn't take much time for me to realise that this is not the room I booked. I approached front desk and they accepted their mistake and shifted me to Deluxe room. Front desk seems to be inexperienced.
Deluxe room is quite big and overall stay was comfortable.Housekeeping staff is also very very prompt and helpful. Appreciate it.
Buffet breakfast was good but dinner was okay and not very tasty.
Again the inexperience of front desk came into highlight when they called me at 1:00 PM on 22nd to say that I have already crossed my 24 hrs checkout time. I reminded them that my arrival was at 2:45 PM and then they accepted the same.
Overall stay was good except for some stupid mistakes by Front office staff. Wish they can be more careful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
JoeDominicRichard, Manager at Hotel Northgate, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including places of improvement. Please accept my most sincere apologies on the disappointment that you had to face during your visit.
I have taken the time to personally discuss this incident with the hotel team members, ensuring the team members focus on providing memorable experiences for all guests staying at our hotel. The team and I hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, the hotel will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again.

Operations Manager.
+919840888450
Chennai
Reviewed March 24, 2013

For the price, this is hands down the best hotel in Madurai. Front-desk staff were unfailingly kind and helpful all hours of the day and night and the room was lovely and clean. I am not a business traveler but was still treated like a VIP. Thanks a ton.

Room Tip: I stayed in standard room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
JoeDominicRichard, Manager at Hotel Northgate, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay in North Gate. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey.
We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in the future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had booked the hotel through online and we got a fairly good price. However, this did not make ANY difference to the service we got - on all levels! It was absolutely outstanding- and always so friendly and attentive. Two people were even over and above the rest of the fabulous staff: Mona at the front desk gave us every help possible and followed up on things she had organized for us - extremely competent and a lovely, intelligent, efficient young woman as well.And every morning for breakfast we were treated like royalty by asuntha the gentle in the Restaurant; she was absolutely supported in his efforts to make everybody feel special by the rest of the staff in the restaurant, but she gave us the best and most attentive and considerate service we have ever had.We can strongly recommend a this hotel if you want to spoil yourself for a few days. We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, and we would love to go back some day

• Stayed March 2013

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

It was my first night back in India and after a long journey found myself hurtling through town from the airport in a new car. The driver's method was hand firmly on the horn and head straight into the oncoming traffic, I'd forgotten about that aspect of Indian city life, so the calm smiling faces at Northgate reception were just what this lone traveller needed. The fourth four room was spacious and spotless and if the bathroom was not exactly five star,(shower and top light not working; instead the standard bucket system and hot water tap) I reminded myself that this is a mid range hotel in a tropical climate. Linen was changed every day and the service could not be faulted. South Indian breakfast was fantastic, though you can opt for the sweet white bread, boiled eggs and jam option; why bother? All my queries, even the possibly daft, jet-lagged ones , were answered fully and with patience, and it made all the difference to what (it evolved) could have been two fraught days at the start if my South Indian journey. It was an autorickshaw ride away from the main temple and centre of town, but within walking distance of Madurai's other highlight, the Ghandi memorial museum. There's a roof top restaurant with a good choice of food at reasonable prices, and if you're so inclined, it's one of the few places in town serving meat.

Room Tip: A back room (like mine) might be more peaceful, but there's a large courtyard between the front...
1 Thank Judy M
Reviewed March 9, 2013

hi Travellers , we had choosed our Budget hotels through trip advisors , had noted this Hotel was Ranked in 4th , Mainly tariff suites our Budget , we had a Warm Welcome on arrival , They had given Nice Rooms to stay. Rooms are Decent with Well Maintained. Complimentary Breakfast Buffet had decent Speads alond with continental Dishes, I need to thank particularly a person who escorted me the Rooms , he briefed the facility in Excellent way. He advised to take Dinner in Roof Top . we find very peace there to Enjoyed our Dinner .

Definitely we will come back again to Enjoy our Holiday...

Room Tip: Choose 3rd or 4th Floor Rooms to have quiet stay , since we stayed those floors
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MARIE369
JoeDominicRichard, Manager at Hotel Northgate, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your very kind words in trip advisor following your stay at Hotel North Gate, Madurai. I was delighted that we met your expectations and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Operations Manager.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were very impressed by the excellent staff, from the front desk, housekeeping staff, & especially the room service/ breakfast staff. The food choices & quality are exceptional.
The management are clearly focused on customer service & we commend them on such a great team we come again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
JoeDominicRichard, Manager at Hotel Northgate, responded to this review, February 19, 2013