“Peaceful with a touch of luxury; just need to improve customer service”
Review of Heritage Madurai

Heritage Madurai
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Madurai
Sydney, Australia
“Peaceful with a touch of luxury; just need to improve customer service”
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Quite majestic; the room (that I experienced) was beautifully appointed with the cottage-like accommodation well spread throughout the extensive grounds providing for a rather peaceful stay where you were not disturbed at all by the noise of others. Given the hustle and bustle outside of Madurai, it was surprisingly quiet and peaceful. I was fortunate to have obtained a room with its own rather large plunge pool which was just magnificent ... i should have spent at least 5 days here so that I had time to go into Madurai to shop as well as luxuriate in the pool for a couple of hours each afternoon. Madurai itself was quite hot at this time of year (heat gradually building by the day) and the pool gave cool relief. I am not sure how frequently the pools were cleaned though; not sure that cleaning was a priority in this place; it just lacked that super clean, crisp edge for a hotel of its calibre. Because I was a 'solo' traveller I ate one night in the room (couldn't drag my self out and besides, the room was extremely comfortable just so beautiful and modern (particularly after some of my other hotels) with a separate lounge area, separate bedroom and huge, very modern and open bathroom with both bathroom and bedroom doors opening onto the pool.) It was on my second and last night that I went to the restaurant to eat. I was disappointed with the service; it was slow and very inhospitable; I almost felt as though I needed to apologise for asking the waiters to come to my table; to take my order and to provide me with my meal. The food was nothing to rave about; particularly their lack-lustre vegetarian menu although this was an issue most places I stayed at in Tamil Nadu. I experienced the same poor service as when I went to the restaurant when it came time to check out; they were really slow at tallying my invoice and had me waiting for what seemed a ridiculously long time. Apart from really needing to improve their customer service (training, training and more training of staff and putting in some great leaders); this was a delightfully refreshing, somewhat 'European-influenced' place to stay. I loved the room and I loved my private pool ... and finally, something I had longed for throughout India; a mini bar fridge in the room where I could keep my drinks cool! The bathroom was great and showering was always a thoroughly enjoyable event. I stayed at about 10 different places throughout Tamil Nadu and this one probably rates as one of my favourites with the pool and the bathroom getting ten out of ten. Sleep quality was excellent as well. Just need to improve customer service; and the food (particularly the vegetarian offering). The rooms were extremely spacious and appointed in a classic modern design.

Room Tip: ask for a room witha plunge pool!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank MaharaniSupreme
ManagementHeritage, General Manager at Heritage Madurai, responded to this review, June 19, 2014

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

We are happy to know that you had enjoyed your overall stay and also you pleased with facilities & ambiance.

We truly appreciate your kind feedback and look forward to welcoming you back at the resort.

Gopalakrishnan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Loxwood, West Sussex, England
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We stayed here for for 3 nights whilst travelling around Tamil Nadu. Our room, classed as a luxury villa, had a huge living area, large bedroom out onto the pool and a vast bathroom, all to a high standard.
Staff were, overall, friendly and enthusiastic.
We did not eat in the restaurant but the food in the cafe was acceptable. I would have liked an outside area for the bar but this may be a licensing restriction?
The pool looked great but we did not use it. The Spa was good.
The temples in Madurai are excellent.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IanPollington

Pune
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Heritage at Madurai for 2 days in June 2011. The entire feel of the hotel is very relaxing and ethnic, especially the way the swimming pool has been designed. The staff at the hotel are extremely courteous and sweet. Ample of food varities are available at the hotel.

The rooms are spacious and have a strong luxury feel to them.

Overall we had a wonderful experience during our stay at the hotel and we strongly recommend this place to stay for people who enjoy a luxurious yet serene stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank himir

manchester
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Our family of 5, including 3 young children spent 12 days here and could not praise it more highly. The staff were very attentive and made us feel right at home. The food was excellent and the whole experience was very good.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank danield161

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 31, 2011

fabulously constructed resort. very peaceful and quiet - difficult to believe that one is in congested, noisy madurai... fantastic food. overall, the ambience is outstanding. the small private swimming pool in each room is an added advantage... quite reasonably priced given the place and facilities (though a tad higher than other options in madurai)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anandpar

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed at the Heritage between 23rd and 26th of May 2011. Loved everything about the place - the spacious villa, the plunge pool, the food, the service...was great value for money....we are definitely going back there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pnairbangalore

Mumbai, India
Reviewed May 27, 2011

The Hotel is wonderful and you feel miles away from the hustle and bustle of the Temple Town as soon as you enter the gates. The service is wonderful and the staff very courteous. They have an inclusive breakfast which is a nice change from the usual buffet of dubious freshness, you can just order what you like and it's brought fresh to the table. They have a swimming pool which is creatively designed like a temple pool, unfortunately it was overcrowded with little kids learning how to swim so we decided to avoid it.

Room Tip: The further from the entrance the better.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family