“Excellent Service, Good location, property” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gateway Hotel Church Road

The Gateway Hotel Church Road
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Coonoor
Bangalore
“Excellent Service, Good location, property”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

One of the best experiences in terms of service. Staff was very responsive, courteous and accommodating. The property itself is very nice in terms of location and grounds although a little smaller than we expected. It is a converted historical building that was part of a church previously, so it comes with some charm and some quirks. Apparently most of the rooms do not have windows in the bedroom, but some of them have a ventilator type window near the ceiling. We asked to move rooms because the safe wasn't working plus we preferred one with a little bit of light in the bedroom and the request was immediately accommodated. suggestion: Perhaps if rooms could be fitted with sunroof windows within the constraints of the architecture it would be nicer.

The grounds are very pretty and there is a nice little children's park, plus games etc to keep the kids engaged. We didn't try any of the evening activities. They arranged for a packed snack/breakfast at 4:30 AM one day as we were leaving for a trip early - that was nice.

Wellness center - yoga instructor was a little presumptuous/overbearing in offering more advice than one ought to without knowing a client over a longer term. Suggestion: This activity should stick to playing it safe and being a generic session rather than jump into offering remedies and cures for issues that one should not presume to understand in a 15 minute conversation.

Both my wife and me tried a massage - mine was excellent. My wife wasn't that satisfied with hers.

The food was good and relatively healthy and light compared to the kind of excessively rich, greasy spreads one normally sees in such hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MuraliDharan, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Church Road, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Sir,

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Coonoor.

Thank you for giving us your feedback through Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us during the recent visit to Coonoor. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay and services. I have noted your feedback regarding the overbearing behaviour of the Yoga instructor and your wife's dissatisfaction with the massage. I will take up your feedback with the Yoga instructor today with a warning and ensure such behavioral lapses from him will not recur. I will also take up your feedback with the lady masseur. We will certainly address your suggestions regarding the sunroof windows during the course of the product upgradation.

Sir, we strive to maintain high standards of product and service and feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us meet the standards through continuous improvement and I thank you for the same.

Looking forward to your continued patronage of The Gateway Hotel Coonoor and assuring you of our best attention and services at all times

Muralidharan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at Taj Gateway in Coonoor and it was really a great experience! The staff was friendly; room was clean, comfortable..the property was well maintained...One of the memorable part was the fire place. Both of us were fascinated to experience this and it was very nice.
The room service was good and food was great although expensive...
The ayurveda centre was bidisappointing....
The lunch buffet was also great and the sous chef came and spoke to us as well. We also saw some kitchen garden in the facility which could be the reason for the freshness of the veggies.
But the lunch on the last day was disappointing...We had actually checked out and went around in Coonoor for sight seeing...Based on previous experience, we came back to Taj before heading back...the buffet spread for some reason was not as endearing as the previous day...
Another point is a few signage's directing to the hotel will help as we had to struggle but luckily Google Map helped us!!
However it was a good experience and would love to go back...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MuraliDharan, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Church Road, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Ms. Swathi,

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Coonoor.

Thank you for giving us your feedback through Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us during the recent visit to Coonoor. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay and services. I have noted your feedback regarding the wellness centre and the lunch experience on the day of your departure. I deeply regret the inconvenience caused and promise corrective measures will be initiated in the concerned areas. Your kind words of appreciation for the services were shared with the team.

Ms. Swathi, we strive to maintain high standards of product and service and feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us meet the standards through continuous improvement and I thank you for the same.

Bangalore, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We visited The Gateway early this month for a lunch after I got a cold response when I wanted to book a room a few days before that ... I was told this is the best property in town so I thought though we decided not to stay here, we can have a lunch. Apart from the security guard who was so sweet and helpful at the time of parking the rest of the staff were so cold and unwelcoming. At first the we were given a cold welcome at the restaurant and then there was no real enthusiasm to serve which is very unlike Taj group. Then the food came and I asked for a spoon. I was pointed to the serving spoon and was not given a spoon for which I will never forget this Taj hotel in my life. That is the height of stinginess that even the roadside cart does not do. Further the food seemed to have some green fungus like thing on the naan which my wife felt was from the spinach dish we ordered and may be the steward mishandled the food. Totally unprofessional and unlike Taj. The billing took years and over all after spending a bomb, I left with no tip for the steward as I was so so upset with the service. I strongly recommend other properties in Coonoor that are much better. This property is a total disgrace to the Taj brand name and if Taj has not done already, they should withdraw their association with this property. From Reservation to the lunch, expect the cold behavior and untidiness of the staff. Of course I know the property owners could care less as the property will run full just because of the Taj association but that is not what the Taj brand has been about.. The Taj brand has meant " wonderful quality" but not this property. very sad...

Room Tip: i did not take a room because the staff did their best not to sell a room to me... very poor sales.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MuraliDharan, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Church Road, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Sir,

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Coonoor.

Thank you for giving us your feedback through Trip Advisor regarding the poor experience you had with the reservations staff and again at our restaurant when you visited for lunch recently. I am quite perturbed and embarrassed to know that we repeatedly did not live unto your expectations. Such indifferent attitude by the staff are certainly not acceptable by any standards. I have taken this up with the concerned department staff and managers to ensure such lapses do not recur. Kindly accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences caused. I request you to not hold this against our overall standards of service and allow us another opportunity to serve you better. Please contact me at murali.dharan@tajhotels.com for any of your future requirements and I will personally take care.

Kochi (Cochin), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Cool place, the hotel as well as the climate.good and great luxury huge rooms.a sit out, wooden flooring,great interiors, excellent toilets with king size bath tubs.you can really relax outside in the lowness outside your room with a good cup of hot nigiri tea in the evening with fog all around you.
Good food made by excellent chefs to the taste you want.great fresh cut vegetables and fruits of the hill station.great view of the hills. Good privacy with great silence. A good fire place in the room to keep you warm, what more....well....I really felt bad when I left the place

Room Tip: Try the deluxe room, loan facing.where there is a private sit out with roses all around you.lot of p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MuraliDharan, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Church Road, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Mr. Haryasees,

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Coonoor.

Thank you for giving us your feedback through Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us during the recent visit to Coonoor. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay and services. Your kind words of appreciation for the services rendered were shared with the team.

Mr. Haryasees, we strive to maintain high standards of product and service and feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us meet the standards through continuous improvement and I thank you for the same.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed at the hotel last week for a night, with wife and baby. As we arrived, the check in was smooth and we were led to the room. As I had an infant baby, I asked if some baby food is available, and they quickly made some khichdi for the baby.
The staff is very helpful and the service is excellent. Had lunch and dinner at GAD.
The food at GAD is amazing and we were happy to dine there.
The room quality and housekeeping standards were very good.
There is also a fireplace in the room which was lit for us in the evening.
Staff was always ready to help.
While we were checking out, we found that we couldn't find wife's gold chain. Had seen the baby play with it early morning. Searched the entire room and couldn't find it.
On being informed about it, the Manager Mr. Muralitharan (Excellent Manager) was very forthcoming and helped us to find it, although we had lost all hopes. It had fallen in a gap in the wooden flooring. The flooring had to be broken open, which was done without any hesitation.

No words will be sufficient to thank the excellent service by the staff.
I will always stay here when Im in the Nilgiris.

Thank you Team Gateway Coonoor. (Personal thanks to the Manager Mr. Muralitharan and Stephen- for helping us find the Gold chain)

Room Tip: All the cottage rooms seemed good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MuraliDharan, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Church Road, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Mr. Muhammed Anas,

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Coonoor.

Thank you for giving us your feedback through Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us during the recent visit to Coonoor. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay and services. All of us were every excited and glad when we managed to retrieve your lost gold chain. Your kind words of appreciation for the services rendered were shared with the team.

Mr. Anas, we strive to maintain high standards of product and service and feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us meet the standards through continuous improvement and I thank you for the same.

Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Excellent food. 3 of us in our group expressed disappointment about not getting a steak and the chef came by and said he would have it for us the next day. True to his word the next day for lunch the Chef had prepared a delicious tenderloin just for us.

The buildings used to be part of a priory and the conversion has been done well with an old world feel and very modern amenities. The shower was by far the best feature, good force and quick reponse to temperature change. Spacious bathrooms.

We enjoyed our stay here completely, very attentive and pleasant staff an excellent breakfast spread, a-la-carte did not disappoint.

Room Tip: Soda (carbonated water) is ridiculously overpriced Rs. 120/- for a bottle that costs Rs. 15/-.. Wif...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MuraliDharan, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Church Road, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Mr.Joseph,

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Coonoor.

Thank you for giving us your feedback through Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us during the recent visit to Coonoor. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the stay and services. Your kind words of appreciation for the services rendered were shared with the entire team.

Mr.Joseph, we strive to maintain high standards of product and service and feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us meet the standards through continuous improvement and I thank you for the same.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed at this property last Oct with my family. It was a fantastic experience. The property is a restored heritage hotel. The rooms are so spacious that you feel like you are staying in a bungalow! The setting is very serene and it is a joy to unwind by just sitting on their lawns enjoying the cool evening breeze. Overall a highly recommended place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MuraliDharan, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Church Road, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Mr.Gautam Rao,

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Coonoor.

Mr.Gautam Rao, we strive to maintain high standards of product and service and feedback such as yours go a long way in helping us meet the standards through continuous improvement and I thank you for the same.

Muralidharan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coonoor
Sunvalley Homestay
Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty
Orchid Square Boutique Hotel
Accord Highland Hotel Ooty
Ooty - Fern Hill, A Sterling Holidays Resort

Been to The Gateway Hotel Church Road? Share your experiences!