“Beautiful property. Loved it!”

The Gateway Hotel Church Road
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Coonoor
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was the first time I travelled to Conoor. The Hotel had sent a Cab to Coimbatore Airport, drive was breathtakingly gorgeous with it's trademark Hairpin bends and views that were ensnaring. After this drive when we reached the Hotel, I felt like being transported into Colonial times. An expansive driveway, understatedly majestic porch and gardens teeming with greenery.

The staff was very friendly, warm, courteous and passionate about the property. Excellent food with a spectacular spread. A definite choice in Conoor, nothing comes close to this Gateway property there.

Very highly recommended. Trust me, they will treat you like royalty.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the gardens are sunny and have a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AnshumanT

Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and myself stayed for 2 nights I have no idea of price as it was part of a tour. Old style hotel and the staff were very efficient and helpful. The room we had was outstanding (overlooking badminton court), you entered into a lounge with sofa and tv, then into an office room with chairs and desk, then into the large bedroom with a massive fireplace (and tv), of the bedroom was a dressing room and a big bathroom with a bath, all with an old fashinoed wood style to them. The have no drive facilities (according to our driver).

There are plenty of facilities for children, lovely gardens and a large restaurant. Breakfast was fine but we were dissapointed with the dinners. There was only a buffet on both evenings (its too far out of town to walk anywhere else for food) and the food was plentyful and well cooked, but very bland with no flavours. Probably two of the least memorable meals we had in India and if I had had a real choice I would have eaten elsewhere on the second night. The other thing was of all the 'boutique/classic' hotels we staying in in India this one despite its age and decor had the least soul of them all.

Would we stay there again - yes but only if we had to stay in Coonor and I would probably stay in Ooty if in the area again.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the badminton courts are fantastic and have a great view but they are also li...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carju1
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was lucky to choose the Gateway Hotel coonoor,this vacation ( I work on a cruise line)..to be honest this is one of the best hotels i ever been.. excellent staff.. beautiful property.. the staff will make you feel so special especially with " Certainly yes Sir"..beautiful room ..love the fire place.. also so well informed travel desk. Helped me with the shortest and beautiful route to Munnar.
Looking forward to spend next vacation with this Great Hotel.. Only thing I would suggest is need more signs from Coonoor to reach the hotel..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chirayil22
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had gone to cocoon or on a business trip. The hotel was booked by the company. While we approached the property, it looked like a very ordinary one. But lemme admit that the moment we reached the reception my perception had taken a 180 degree turn. I was really amazed to see the layout of the Hotel looking so stunning in white colour and streaks of dark maroon. The yellow church looked so robust next to the hotel.

I stayed in room no 109 and my colleague stayed in 104. Both the rooms were majestic in colonial style. The furniture is ethnic and keeping the place and the colonial style of building appeared to be perfect.

The linen and toiletries were perfect with a lot of emphasis paid on cleanliness.

The lawns were well maintained. I could also see the sparrows, which have more or less become extinct in places like Delhi.

The restaurant is good with very efficient service. I must say that 'hot idlis' and 'Fillet of Fish' were my favourites and really good. I will also recommend 'Dal Tadka' and 'Roti'. 'Chocolate combo' is a must in dessert.

However, I feel that the menu can have some more variety.

The room service was excellent.

Overall an excellent experience.

Room Tip: Choose rooms from 101 to 110
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ATUL_K506
Reviewed August 8, 2012

An oldfahioned, charming English-style manor house transformed into a hotel in a green garden. We were professionally welcomed by a real gentlemen-receptionist with cmprehensible (!) English. The appartment we have rent consisted of 4 rooms, including one with chimney and open fire. You feel like a Maharadja!-The dinner in the restaurant was surprising: Although quite crowded we got an excellent, speedy service by nice young men. Food was also very good8 A place which we fully can recommend, particularly because of the really professional style of the reception!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wolfgang s
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were on our honeymoon trip and was looking specifically for a taj property in the hills. We ended our tour with an exceptional & pleasant memories. Service, food, location and the attitude of all the staffs was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Our choice was between two taj properties - one in Ooty and the other in Coonoor. We picked the Coonoor property which was a mistake. We spent a weekend here this summer and the rooms were average. The bathrooms are better than the Taj property in Ooty.

Our biggest issue was with the service and the quality of food at the restaurant which were both below average. In contrast the restaurant at the Savoy (taj Ooty) is a million times better.

If you are looking for a 4 or 5 star in the nilgiris, this is not it. In hindsight we should have stayed at the Savoy or Fernhill palace.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Goa2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coonoor
Sunvalley Homestay
Sunvalley Homestay
#1 of 12 in Coonoor
Teanest
Teanest
#3 of 12 in Coonoor
Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty
Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty
#4 of 85 in Ooty (Udhagamandalam)
Neemrana's - Wallwood Garden
Accord Highland Hotel Ooty
Accord Highland Hotel Ooty
#2 of 85 in Ooty (Udhagamandalam)
Orchid Square Boutique Hotel

Been to The Gateway Hotel Church Road? Share your experiences!