“A TRUE HOME AWAY FROM OUR OWN HOME.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sunvalley Homestay

Sunvalley Homestay
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Coonoor
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“A TRUE HOME AWAY FROM OUR OWN HOME.”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We got information about Sunvalley Homestay at Coonoor from tripadvisor and booked our stay from 4th June 2013 till 9th June 2013. Wow! What an experience. Though the approach road to the place is a bit of a let down, the ambeiance of the place and its surrounding is great. The cleanliness of the rooms, dining hall and the linen were realy good. The breakfast (included in the room tariff) as well as the lunch and dinner prepared on order were very tasty.

More than all these good things, the most admirable was the friendly and ever helpful nature of the staff. The manager Mr. Sharath along with his team that included Micheal, Deepak, Anisha, Jenny, Rameez and all the kitchen and housekeeping staff whome we have not named here, were just outstanding in their hospitality.

We felt as if we were with our own people during our stay at Sunvalley. Will surely visit Coonoor in future and would stay at Sunvalley Home stay for sure.

Highly recommended.

Regards,
Mrs. & Mr. Navin R. Shetty.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the building facing the tea estate have great view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank navinrshetty
sunvalleyhomestay, Owner at Sunvalley Homestay, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I’m so delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and really appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advisor – a big thank you!

We certainly understand the importance of a comfortable, restful sleep and a good breakfast to start the day during a holiday; it’s very gratifying to receive such positive feedback.

Our sunvalley family work really hard to ensure consistently excellent service and they will be very pleased with your satisfaction.

We wish you happy holidays and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sunvalley next time you’re in OOTY.

Kind regards
Shyma & Ayyavu Dhinesh
Proud owners of Sunvalley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
India
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Being a Homestay owner myself at Varanasi,i will go by reviewing this place step by step.
From the moment i sent my first email to them,response was positive and good.As my first priority i was intersted in another Homestay,recommended by my local Coonoor friend,and i had sent emails to 3 places all together,response from Sunvalley was the fastest and the best.

There are mostly good points about this place,except a few minus points.I will list first the good ones.

1.I must congratulate the owner Mr.Dhinesh,who lives in Singapore,for a well managed Homestay only with the good set of his staff,as generally where owners are not involved in the management,hospitality properties generally have lot of problems.All staff members here are good and always smiling and going extra miles in providing the service.Thanks Anisha,Michael,Deepak and your team.

2.Rooms are clean,spacious,well located facing towards the Tea Estate,which does not belongs to the Sunvalley and view from the rooms on the 1st Floor is better.Cleaning is done everyday and linen is changed as and when you ask for.Room boy,Rameez was very charming and helpful.

3.Food here,i will suggest all future guest,Breakfast is a must,as their South Indian cooking is very very good.I have been travelling down south last 30 years,and i can say their South Indian Breakfast is very tasty,Idly,Dosa, Appam all choices they serve are very tasty.Lady cooks,,who's names i do not remember,are excellent cooks,and always smiling and ready to serve by heart.Thank you very much both of you.

4.Property has WiFi access every where,but it was either not available in the rooms, or, was very slow most of the time,but,they have a computer which guest can use as well,down stairs close to the dinning area,and WiFi access is good around Front Desk as well.

5.At the Tea Estate labor and supervising staff,specially Mr.Babu is very helpful in explaining the process of Tea plantations when ever you visit the Tea Estate during morning time when work has begun.Thanks Mr.Babu for all your kind explaining.

Now few things,i did not like about the place.....

1.Most important is location,the way it is visible in the pictures,property is over looking a Tea Estate on the back of the building,but,from the front part of the building to the main town of Coonoor, Sunvalley is situated as the last building,climbing up on this road(another road does go little further up from a direction little away from Sunvalley) and than begins the Tea Estate on 02 sides of the Sunvalley towards West as well as South,but towards East and North of this property is a long almost more than 3 KM,way to the normal houses and residence of the locals ,which is little annoying,as you prefer to go to a Tea Estate place in little wilderness and peace, which is not visible,as you keep driving among the houses and homes on a narrow steep road towards the Sunvalley.

2.Approach road of last 200-300 Mt is very bad clay road,and you go through a playing field as well,which some time will give a impression to the self driven guest,as if you are going no where.This problem i think Mr.Dhinesh should look at seriously.Even though approach road issue has been mentioned by some guest already in their reviews.And as were driven every where by a local driver,so was not any problem for me.Though in Monsoon season,this approach road can be a very bad area to drive through.

3.Another most important issue that is a serious down side for Sunvalley is their North Indian, Chinease, Continental or any other type of food, except South Indian food,all their food is very very bad quality.Though freshly cooked and clean,but it seems that their male cook does not even know the basics of cooking,i feel sorry to write this for Sunvalley on this issue but i would like them to improve on this front seriously,as there in no restaurant in the vicinity of 5-6 Km from Sunvalley,and one may find it difficult to find food,if you do not like it here.We kept trying twice even after first dis-appointment,second attempt was even worse than the first.In the holiday,a guest does look for good tasty food and the way to the pocket of the guest can easily go through their stomach .Mr.Dhinesh if you are personally listening and reading this review,it is my humble suggestion,as a co Homestay owner,to improve on this front,as i am a food lover and me,my life partner and my children were very dis-appointed on this issue.

4.Another small issue i would like to point out here,(even though management had clarified this before the confirmation of my booking but i had not realized this at that time,which is my mistake), as they charge 5% of the total room bill towards the tip for their staff,which i think is not correct,as most properties do charge service charges over room service on the food,but here they charge 10% service charges on the food bill and 5% charges on the room bill,which i think is not correct,as Tips should be left to the guest wish.

I wish the team at the Sunvalley all the best for the future and will certainly recommend friends going to Coonoor to stay here despite some small issues,as it is a nice friendly place to spend time with your friends and family.

Harish Rijhwani
Homestay
Varanasi

Room Tip: All rooms are good but rooms on the 1st Flr have better view of the Tea Estate from the back balcony...
8 Thank Hasselfree
Dear Mr.Harish,

Many thanks for your patronage and all value adding feedbacks. I have taken note of everything , most of which I am aware in full depth and tackling one by one as the right opportunity comes. With authorities concerned as you know in India bit hard to move things.

other items which ever in my hand I am trying step by step one at a time to improve. Most of the items will be taken care and sorted out within next 1 year.
As you must have learned from my team, I am not a business minded person and looking for making ONLY money and live my life from it, I will definitely try to improve all areas you have mentioned.
Of course I have to balance the investment and resources as the business runs mostly on seasons and very limited guest during non-season.
I have to do a lot of marketing if I have to have a good occupancy when compared to other established hotels or resorts run by bigger groups.

I do not intend to do so as the final cost will have to born by guests and I am leaving it to develop by word of mouth and consistency in good services by my team, which had kept Sunvalley to the right momentum and growth rate so far and we all believe this is the only way it can sustain as well.

I will definitely try to visit your place if I happened to come to your side. The world is so small so I am sure we will happen to meet one day....

Life is a journey...Enjoy the drive....Wish you many more happy holidays....

Dhinesh & Shyma
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our stay in sunvalley was awesome. We booked the resort after seeing the review on trip advisor. And we were so happy that we planned to stay there. The staff are so friendly. They make you feel si comfortable. The food is awesome especially the breakfast. I loved appam and stew. That is something we never get in goa. Will surely love to go back especially to eat appam. Three cheers to the staff and to the cook.

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank Pooja Bhat
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to have your review in trip advisor and appreciation of my team and Sunvalley.

Your appreciation comes from the heart as we feel and it also reflects how open you are with the nature and the people the way they are and your acceptance to it.

Good luck with you on whatever you do and enjoy every little things around you God has created...Have the mind for it...

Life is a Journey ...Enjoy the drive......
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 8, 2013

One of teh most pleasant and wonderful places to stay in Coonoor. Avoid Ooty.
on first sight, this homestay seems a little distant and the access is a bit odd, in the sense that you have to walk all the way if no vehicle. but the staff there are always ready with their open jeep that takes u to and fro from teh main junction. am impressed with the quality of hospitality and service, right from teh reception people to the owner's mom who is a very wonderful and warm lady. Michael, Deepak, Jenny, Anisa, Ramdas,Sarath all of them are very hospitable,polite and welcoming.the best part is the view of tea garden just below the homestay, you can walk and spend the entire day amongst the garden and still not feel bored. when it rains, it does become a bit difficult to go out, but otherwise its a fantastic place. u can make this a centre and then visit coonoor and some parts of Ooty in one day. the next day cover rest of ooty and head towards mudumalai . and then the best part is Avalanchi dam and shola forest reserve, this is truly a magnificient place to see, where you can cover dense forests, shrubs, waterfall,beatiful dam and then wide open valley with a beautiful view. the breakfast at the resort is very wholesome and the herbal water they prepare is an added trip. Would I visit there again ? Yes definitely. recommended for friends and travellers? definitely yes again.

Room Tip: choose residency or homestay based on your budget, the latter being cheaper
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Tamojit2013
sunvalleyhomestay, Manager at Sunvalley Homestay, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your time to write your views in trip advisor. Having you as our first guest in our new property close to sunvalley was a great pleasure.

Sorry for whatever inconveniences caused as the property was just started rolling from 1st May, and as usual some small initial glitches expected.

But very glad to see that you had good time with your partner and enjoyed the place and services of our team.

Thanks for the appreciation shown towards everyone's service and support of sunvalley team.

Wish you many more happy holidays...

Rgds,
Sarath
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place was recommended by one of my friends who had recently been there with family. So when it came to taking a trip with my own, I thought I should check it out too.

As mentioned in their introduction, you would almost get pleasantly surprised when you see how this quaint little place is tucked away in one of the mountain corners over looking the green stretch of the tea gardens. For my own experience, it was like a holiday for my eyes, and how they could breathe in all the greenery far away from the brick & mortar of a city-life.

The rooms are all done keeping good-choice in mind, be it the attention to details from bed-sides being cushioned so that your do not hit your toe or turning the small space for bathroom into something that leaves an impression.

However while the service is quite nice, the food on the menu could be better. I would advice not to try out the "must-try" options on the menu. Although the complimentary breakfast would keep you well-fed till beyond lunch time.

People at the front desk and ones managing the place were quite warm in their approach and helpful.

My verdict is, its one of the best options in Homestay category.

4 Thank IshitaChowdhury
sunvalleyhomestay, Owner at Sunvalley Homestay, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest..
Glad to see that you had time to write a review about our homestay.

And we have taken note of your suggestion on Menu and regretfully we are sad to hear the must try items did not go well with you.

We will try to find out the reason and the choices you had with your expectations. It could have been with the order understanding we believe. We will try to correct it in future and will understand the needs of our guest prior to finalize and recommend something for them.

In general people like most of the Must try items and they appreciated...is one of the reasons we added this column on the food menu.

Anyway thanks for all the appreciation and looking forward to see you all in near future to Nilgiris again..

Many more happy holidays..
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This home stay is perched on a hill having a patchy approach road. But once you get there,
it opens up a new world of nature from its balcony. Truly part of nature and escape from the hustles and bustles of the city was an extraordinary experience. Rooms were clean and service were good.

6 Thank rmuralik76
Dear Valued guest...

Many thanks for your time to post some good words about sunvalley and we look forward seeing you with family and friends again back to sunvalley during your next visit to Nilgiris...

Best Rgds,
Sarath
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We are a group of 21 adults plus two children belonging to a group of close knit family and friends who always travel together for vacations in a group and as our group consisted of more than 8 adults/teenagers - we preferred a home stay for having all the fun without much hindrance or bossing from the hotel staff or co guests.

we therefore selected this home stay and stayed for more than 5 nights and had a wonderful experience - good stay and good food - extremely friendly staff - extremely courteous staff - very neat ambience etc.

overall our experience was good with this stay

Room Tip: all rooms are equal and good - the location is very hard to find and approach road is very steep - i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank bharathy70
Dear Guest....Many thanks for your patronage to our property and good to hear that you and your team loved our place and enjoyed to the fullest.

Being a frequent travel group of yours we were expecting very hard to make better impression for all team members and to satisfy you all with best experiences but we find your team a very friendly and non-complaining and very well disciplined / coordinated team of families with grown up kids.

Thanks for all your sweet and kind words on our staff which makes them feel proud of their job.

It is very much in need for teams like yours as our team get better spirit and energy and enthusiasm to do more for guest with feedback and responses and behaviors from family groups like yours.

Initially my team was bit worried about packing food everyday for Lunch for 20+ members and vegetarian menu. But with your cooperation they done it well and managed to keep it going for entire trip.

Some of my family was there during your visit and unfortunately me or my wife could not be there during your visit.

We r looking forward to see you all during another season at Sunvalley again and wish you u and team many more happy holidays ahead...

Dhinesh & Shyma.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coonoor
Tea Nest
Neemrana's - Wallwood Garden
Kurumba Village Resort
Kurumba Village Resort
#2 of 10 in Coonoor

Been to Sunvalley Homestay? Share your experiences!