“Homely experience with nice views”
Review of Sunvalley Homestay

Sunvalley Homestay
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Coonoor
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We visited Coonoor during Mar 2013 and stayed at SunValley homestay. Here is a gist of our experience.

Very friendly staff, gave us a good deal when I mailed them couple of weeks in advance to make reservation. The access road is in a very bad condition and one of the hotel staff met us at a convenient point after Coonoor railway station and guided us.
The rooms are neat and comfy, with great views from the balcony. The food deserves a special mention. The breakfast is complimentary and is very tasty. The guests invariably fill up to the brim. The dinner too was good, but need to be informed in advance (by 5pm).
The staff are friendly and help you chalk out an itinerary. One of them suggested a view point in Non such estate which is not well known but is really beautiful and nothing like the normal tea estate view. It offers a heavenly view of beautiful carpet covered hills. Make sure you visit it. I will try and upload the pictures in a separate review of Coonoor.
The staff also arrange for a pickup/drop in case you are not visiting by your own vehicle.

What impressed me the most was the service minded approach of the stop with a glad to be of help attitude.

All in all a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: The view and service more than makes up for the bad condition of the access road, but then it is not...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Rainbow_Smiles99
sunvalleyhomestay, Owner at Sunvalley Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

A big thank you for your time to feedback about Sunvallley.

We are in the process on continuous improvement, as we learn on the way and try to fix as many things as possible by us.

The approach road is getting improved and on its way concreting for some stretch and inconvenience caused during your visit is highly regretted.

There are newer reviews for Sunvalley Homestay

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I drove from Bangalore with my family on the early morning of April 11th... zoomed along the Mysore-Bandipur-Ooty highway. I should not call the Bandipur-Ooty road as highway, but it was a steep uphill climb. My Hyundai Verna had to run in either 1st/2nd gear for most part of this uphill route; took 7 hours to reach Coonoor (including 1 hour break). There is another longer (very long) but better route to Ooty from Bandipur via Mudumalai and Gudalur. This is the route which people mostly take to reach Ooty. I chose to take the steep climb of only 26 KM rather than taking the 90 KM longer and better route! We took the longer route during our return journey to Bangalore.

I stayed at Sunvalley Homestay for 3 nights during second week of April '13 with my family. I had read the reviews about this property before choosing this place. I had been to Ooty multiple times before, and I was looking for a different experience this time and not stay in the crowded (and dirty) Ooty again.

Apparently, choosing this property was a mixed bag experience. The rooms were comfortable, big and clean. Bathroom was clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the food was awesome. The management should take care of few little things to make the stay more memorable. There were tons of Houseflies inside the room and the dining hall which kind of spoiled our holiday. The moment you open the balcony doors, the houseflies completely swamp the room. The staff had tried their best to reduce this menace, however this was the most annoying factor. There is electricity problem, and there is absolutely no backup power here. The approach to this property wasn't good; however it was getting better since concrete was being laid on the roads during our visit.

The property is situated in an excellent location with a backdrop of lush tea gardens and mountains. We leisurely walked up and down for miles all along the tea gardens; very refreshing indeed. Take an early morning walk down the tea garden, climb up the mountains at the back; if you are an avid bird watcher, I'm pretty sure that you would not be disappointed.

The pricing was slightly on the higher side since it was inclusive of only bed and breakfast (unlike the other home-stays I had been to). They have an elaborate menu for lunch and dinner, all prepared based on the prior order. The staff was very courteous, food and service was top class. This is a better place to stay than getting lost inside the commercialized Ooty. We visited nice tourist spots around Coonoor, visited the High Field Tea factory (and bought couple of varieties of tea powder). Ooty is about 30 to 40 minutes driving distance, so commutation is not a problem.

Room Tip: Take the rooms on the first floor overlooking the tea gardens. They have rooms with 2 Queen beds, su...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank ecjog

Many thanks for your time taken to respond about our property.

As I mentioned earlier to many guests in the past we are improving on every items our guests has given priority and suggested improvements. Road stretch is getting better.

We have installed power backup this season..in fact 2 days back. It was an investment when power cuts or power outage in Coonoor / Nilgiri is seldom. So we did not felt the need and hoping to have this could be tolerated by our guest if it happens once in while, as the temperature is fine mostly and you don't really need a fan or Aircon etc.

Anyway after many feedback and learning the tolerance of people we decided to make this investment which will add a little more burden on the guest bill.

But we learned people do expect most perfect ambience and facilities when they are enjoying their well planned fine relaxing holiday.
On housefly issue, we try to keep them away from inside the rooms or other resort common areas ( as we have nets in room), but as lots of green surrounding resort we cannot eliminate them totally during certain seasons, when then multiply in hours.
we are doing a research to see what we can do to keep them away from resort entering...

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was a tough one..should I rate this place as "Very good" or "Excellent?" Eventually, I settled for Excellent. Why? Because what annoyed us paled in front of what made us go WOW.

What we liked:
---------------------
* The staff: I must thank Shyma and Dinesh for choosing such an excellent staff. I have never been made to feel so much welcome and so much at home..and I have stayed at good places before. Sharad, Anisha, Deepak, Ramiz, Michael, the lady cook with a lovely smile. Everyone in the staff was courteous and always ready to help. Our experience was great from the time we called them to book the place.

* The view from the balcony: Greenery in leaps and bounds, rolling hills, chirping birds, lavender blooms. The very sight from the balcony and the terrace was a treat for city-sore eyes.

* The breakfast: I have never eaten better appams and stew! The idlis were soft and dosas crisp. The food tasted better because it was cooked and served with love.

* The peace: good place to lose yourself. Seriously!

* The billing was honest with no hidden costs.

What we didn't like much:
-----------------------------------------------
* The way to the property: The road to the property is currently under construction and we faced a bit of trouble reaching the place. However, this is good news for people traveling later, because it means that the roads will be better soon. I must mention here that Sharad, the manager, carried my 1-year old son till the car park (about 500 mts) everyday just to give us some respite. Really appreciated this gesture.

* The houseflies: One side-effect of vegetation. But you just need to call the reception to get the problem fixed.

* No fans in the rooms: Coonoor is no longer as cool as it used to be and fans are a must especially in summers. They do provide pedestal fans on request but because my son found it very fascinating, we had to keep it turned off most of the time.

* Power cuts: May be we were unlucky, but there was no power one whole night.

Saying all this, will we go back? YES! This place has the privacy of a hotel, the ambiance of a resort, and the comfort of a home-stay.
This was one of the best places I have stayed in and I hope I am able to visit again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank silverblaze80

A big thanks for your decision to rank as Excellent on the review.

We are in total agreement with all your statements and all are very well explained and justified and truly honest I would say.

Road is bit Bad ...some stretch is getting concrete top...so getting better next time as you rightly quoted.

Houseflies we still don't know how to keep them away when guests wanted to enjoy the balcony doors fully opened and enjoy the nature / climate. they all rush in at once...So simply a tough task to keep them outside resort boundary...but we do try to best to keep them away from rooms/ other common areas by all means...

Fans may require for 1-2 months and we do provide pedestal as we want to keep the rooms simple, so its easy to move them away rest of the months/ season...so the reason for such portable units instead of permanent.

Power cuts: Its very seldom and a privileged town/ city you can say about Nilgiri as we are excluded from this many hours power cut in Tamilnadu. But occasionally unexpected electrical problems in network or due to heavy rain/ wind we loose power.
we were studying and weighing it to see weather to have it or not, and in 2 years we learned, YES it is a must for a holiday maker as this is one of the last thing they want to see. so we have gone for it straight after your visit and had the power backup running for the resort from this week.---Sorted out.

And last but not least many tanks for mentioning about our great staff...OUR ASSET. They are the best and I take care of them and they take care of the guest as a family member. They are not professionally trained for hospitality industry or have experience in the past but they posses naturally the gift of human touch from their hearts. And that was and is our strength to get Sunvalley to this stage within 2 years. I am proud of them.

And hope to see you sometime again in a different season at Sunvalley when we are also there.
warm regards
Shyma & Dhinesh

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I would suggest this place to anyone who visits Ooty....as u would b welcomed by a group of smiling & courteous staff who will treat u as ur own..

As rightly mentioned in their website ,the rooms are facing the tea garden & the Mountains behind; that u r open to the natural beauty & the greenery - day & night....The scenic & peaceful view itself makes one connected with the mother nature that it gives a new energy & refreshment more than any other view points in the whole area...

Rooms are very well furnished...& upto the mark..

The Food...esp Breakfast served here is with so much of love & affection that there is only one word to describe it "Simply Heavenly".....The Appams & Masala dosa they serve here just melt in ur mouth...& they urge u to have more without any hesitation as if u r their own family member...

Me & my husband totally loved the experience....No whr in Oooty /Coonoor u will get such a stay...

The approach road is not good...but just dnt make it a reason for letting urself away from the refreshing experiences behind...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank amitageo

A big thank you for your time to write about sunavlley and hope to see you all in near future at Sunvalley.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Visited in the last week of March 2013.

I stayed here for 2 days along with my 2 years old daughter and wife. The location is quite isolated and a member of the staff came to pick us up at coonoor railway station. Access is a little difficult up an unmade track. It was expected as the property is located at dead end of a lane amidst tea garden.

Staff is friendly. Excellent ambiance. You can enjoy the tea plantation by sitting in the balcony. I spent an hour in the tea garden watching birds. The accommodation was clean and fresh with constant hot water. The food was delicious. I enjoyed fresh appams and stew. They did not have any fruits for the visitor who is fasting. I got disturbed by some home flies in the room.

I chose to travel in an auto to visit sims park, dolphin nose point etc. These places are nearby. Check that on the google maps.

Overall, I would recommend this place if you want a lazy holiday in Coonoor.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Machhindra

Thank you for your inspiration and very much motivating kind words about Sunvalley and staff.

Wish you many more happy holidays and hope to see you all with a different gathering of friends and relatives during a different season at Sunvalley.

Very nice to see that you have learned to enjoy and appreciate little things around you during your day to day life. Just being simple and appreciate things around you make your life wonderful is the principle we follow in our life and seeing this reflections at guest like you encourages us more to believe in it..and go forward....

Proud owners of Sunvalley

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here in a group and found this homestay very good in all aspects. The rooms are spacious and look like room of a 3 star hotel. The view from the balcony is breathtaking and you will see tea gardens till the horizon.

The entrance to the homestay is not that great and you have cross through very narrow roads till you enter a playground which is used by locals and in the edge of the hill the homestay is located.

The best part is food which is home made and with awesome taste and varieties. The quantity of some item is little questionable but rest is good. The timing is also an issue when you want to party late as the food will not be available late in the night.

Overall we had a blast and i recommend this property to all who want a beautiful location, good food and nice scenic rooms.

Room Tip: Take rooms on higher floors as the view is better than ground floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank ReprendraChauhan
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The view from the rooms is just fantastic...looks straight out onto the tea plantations. The rooms are really top notch, considering the price. They can easily charge more and no one would mind (but i hope they don't :-) ) The staff is very friendly and helpful. Oh and the food - I have stayed in Bangalore for over 3 years and never had such good south Indian food. Whatever you do, do NOT miss the breakfast...its too good. Overall one fantastic experience. The only downside - you might not want to leave the homestay at all to go to the touristy places :-)

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank AyanGhosh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coonoor
Teanest
Teanest
#3 of 12 in Coonoor
The Gateway Hotel Church Road
Accord Highland Hotel Ooty
Accord Highland Hotel Ooty
#1 of 85 in Ooty (Udhagamandalam)
Neemrana's - Wallwood Garden
Orchid Square Boutique Hotel
Hotel Vivek
Hotel Vivek
#9 of 12 in Coonoor

Been to Sunvalley Homestay? Share your experiences!