“a niche in the nilgiris :-)”
Review of Acres Wild

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coonoor
Acres Wild
Bengaluru, India
“a niche in the nilgiris :-)”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

On the morning after our first night's stay at Acres Wild I posted the following onto my Facebook status: "nilgiri.hills coonoor.town terrace.fields mist.in.summer evening.drizzle atrium.copperplate.openfire tuscan.wine homemade.fennel.garlic.cheese farmgrown.zucchini.salad august.company(!) anecdotes.with.dinner hay.ripened.mangoes lantern.midnight.walk glowing.lonebison.eyes zzz glorious.bluemountain.sunrise sparrows.vs.caterpillars poha.n.homedairy.butter wife.off.to.cheesemaking.course a.lazy.day.beckons..."

Most of my friends who read this wanted to drop whatever they were doing and join up for the weekend... and that does sum up the experience.

Acres Wild is a venture that has taken fruit after years of the owners' pondering and yearning for a life beyond the concrete maze. It is a working farm - a living, artisanal approach to earth friendliness. The couple of guest cottages are for the fortunate tourist who wishes to nourish his or her soul in the heart of the Nilgiris. And this, far away from the maladies, but hidden quite close to the hillside midtowns of Coonoor and Ooty.

Ideally suited for a long weekend or relaxing week, and located for outbound travel from key cities in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala states into which one could fly in if coming from other states. Car / taxi recommended since the property is inside an older, larger tea estate and hence not accessible by public transport. Check with the owners in advance for any special needs, they are friendly, down-to-earth, warm hearted, and do whatever they do with passion :-)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Bangalore, India
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Acres wild is a very enchanting farmstay close to Coonoor town. Even though it is just 3kms from the bus stand, it is still quite secluded and makes for a very nice quiet stay.

We stayed in one of the rooms in the tea-garden cottage and it was nice to see a fully furnished cottage being available for us. The rooms are clean, tastefully done and have fabulous views of the hills. The kitchen is well stocked up and can be used by the guests. We found there wasn't any need to do so because of the excellent (and yet simple) food cooked by Deepak. There are a few gazebos and the highest one (near the cheese factory) offers splendid views.

We got a lovely tour of the farm and the cheese making process and the people there were very friendly. The host, Mansoor, is a very interesting person to chat with - he has varied interests and is extremely passionate about farming and ensures that the guests have a wonderful time in acres wild.

They do have a separate room with TV and a few games, but we did not even venture in that direction since there were so many other things to do. The cheese tastes wonderful and I ended up bringing a lot of it back home. I'm definitely going to visit this place again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
delhi
Reviewed July 4, 2010

acres wild is a beautiful farmhouse in coonoor straight out of a movie set. the owners mansoor and tina are terrific hosts. they let you have your space and at the same time ensure that you are comfortable. The cottage that we stayed in is tastefully decorated and has two roms with att bathrooms and a living/dining area including a well stocked kitchen. all that you eat is grown on the farm. mansoor was kind enough to show us around and give us a tour of his cheese making facility which was a novel experience. There is a room full of books , pool table and lots of indoor games which the children freaked out on. I am surely going to spend more time during my next visit . we had a lovely stay thanks to the hospitality of the owners.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Pondicherry, India
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Hi everyone. Initially i was looking for a place to learn about cheese making and eventually googled out Mansoors' Acres Wild. So i contacted him immediately and expressed my interest in learning cheese making. He said that he was working on the idea and would let me know. Just a few days later he called me back and gave me all the details about his cheese making course. Here i was reaching Acres Wild around midnight not knowing what was installed for me. Though i reached late night, Mansoor stayed up waiting for me and when i got there Mansoor showed me and my friend to our room. The first sight which stays in my head till today is when i woke up early and walked out to the porch, The view...... breathtaking. I stayed there 5 days and learnt everything about cheese making. However, it was their hospitality that stood strong more than everything else. Mr. Mansoor and his family were so nice to be around with, i started feeling like home and family around them. Eventually it turned out to be my best holiday in my life till date and i am very eager to go back there the first chance i get and relive that experience again. The rooms were great with that homely feel, the employees were very friendly ,their food was amazing. I have one thing to say to future guests. This is not a resort of any kind. So please change your mindset when u plan to go there. If you are talking about a lazy and relaxed getaway this is the place for you. Please try to switch off your mobile phones,forget Ur busy life and chill out. I guarantee you this place is a completely different experience. And when you get back, feel a new you . Thanks Mansoor,Tina,Pablo,Zyan and everyone else who made my stay there unforgettable. Will see you soon.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank montaut
auroville
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We had a great time staying in Acres Wild farm.Mansoor and Tina,the owners of the place, are wonderful people,welcoming us nicely. The view from our cottage was amazing.Our daughter and us enjoyed very much to be in an organic farm,going every day to visit the cows,goats and ducks. When it's cloudy,you can enjoy the playroom also (books,tv,games). Ideal place for a family ! We had great breakfast every morning,with excellent cheese from the Farm. And great trekking around.Transportation to organize (if you come from India ,take your car or bike),otherwise it's 3 km from the bus stand.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Pondicherry, India
Reviewed July 2, 2010

happened by chance a common friend booked a stay for me and my wife there. reached quite late in the nite...around 11 pm...Mansoor guided us to his farmstay. A lovely glass of scotch and simple yet tasty dinner later...we found our way to his cottage. Very artistically done...the cottage felt more like home...radically different from the usual riff raff of such resorts. woke up to a beautiful morning, made even more beautiful by the lingering clouds all around the mountains and valley. Sumptuous breakfast made by anand and deepak..dollops of creamy rich rosemary and garlic cheese made in the Acres wild cheese factory. The boys are really friendly and trained very well in hospitality. I was even more surprised when i discovered that there father was with the Khan family for 60 years...and after his demise his sons have filled his shoes. I guess that's what brings out the soul in their service. I was invited to stay at Mansoor's house the next day...a beautiful example of his passion for this place. we started the day with Mansoor taking us and some more guests on a tour of his farm. We saw organic farming, brick making, cheese making, Gobar gas plants, fish ponds, Goats, Ducks...the list was endless. My wife even managed to steal some incredibly tasty Jamuns...and guavas :) It's difficult to describe the next few days spent there....because I really connected with the place and Mansoor on a very different level. But if i have to sum it all up...he has an amazing pair of kids...Pablo (who has skills that go beyond what meets the eye) and the beautiful Zyna...warm and full of life. A beautiful Labrador...very friendly and loving. was fortunate to cook for them a coupla times...Generous servings of Glenfiddich and B&W kept the mood warm...as we drifted though endless hours of gratifying exchange of words from the legend self. In the end all i can say is...home is where your heart is....and i left a piece of it in his house....thank you Mansoor for letting us experience Acres wild though your mind.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
bangalore
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We cahnced upon Acres wild in a newspaper review and took a chance and we never regretted it. Initially, my teenagers were apprehensive about lack of TV, the hustle and bustle, liveried staff and multi-cuisine restaurant etc. The moment we entered the Tea Garden cottage nestled in the deep embraces of nilgiri mountains and breath taking 360 degree views, we did not need any other entertainment. Very high quality construction and well furnished. Great place to unwind, get back to nature, watch the bird life. There is a pictersque gazebo at a very high, strategic spot and it is simply breathtaking to watch clouds scud away..

We took both rooms in the Tea Garden Cottage and so, we had the entire cottage to ourselves...Food is simple, ample and good. The staff is extremely friendly, but, sharpen your Hindi to strike an easy conversation with them.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coonoor
Sunvalley Homestay
#3 of 11 in Coonoor
The Gateway Hotel Church Road
Neemrana's - Wallwood Garden
Ooty - Fern Hill, A Sterling Holidays Resort
Ooty - Fern Hill, A Sterling Hol...
#9 of 83 in Ooty (Udhagamandalam)
Kurumba Village Resort
Kurumba Village Resort
#2 of 11 in Coonoor

Been to Acres Wild? Share your experiences!