“Overpriced and indifferent”

Hotel ESS Paradise
Unknown
“Overpriced and indifferent”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stopped in Coimbature on a leg of our trip from Ooty to Munnar. We arrived quite late the first night, around 11pm, after searching for a room for at least an hour and being told time and again that the hotel was full. ESS paradise had a room at about 935 rupees (after tax, Non AC), which was over our budget, but considering the circumstances, we took it.
Upon checking out the room, I took a peek at the sheets and looked under the pillows to make sure the the bed was properly clean and the porter immediately yelled at me for messing up the sheets. I was just ensuring I was going to get my money's worth and he scolded me like I was a child. Customer service was already deemed poor. Anyway, my wife and I were very tired so we decided the room was adequate enough. It wasn't worth the price, but we were not in any condition to keep walking the streets and searching. The bathroom was a bit dingy and the room just had an ill-favored feel to it.
Next, during my check in the guy at the counter acted the whole time like he was doing me a great favor by allowing us to stay at his hotel. He was not very friendly and did not care to make me feel welcome. I asked him for another towel and he said ok as if it was a terrible burden. The towel never came. My wife asked a porter a few minutes later and got the response "Ek aur towel: MONEY!" Its common sense that if you book two guests in a double occupancy room you give them two towels. Two guests = two towels. By the way, the first towel they gave was stained and tattered.
Anyway, the next day we planned to move on, but we heard of the strike and realized we'd be better off staying in town an extra day. We both woke up feeling a bit sick and weak - maybe from the hard day of trekking we did the day before - and we didn't have the strength to shift to a different hotel. So we stayed in and rested for most of the day and then went out for dinner in the evening.
The stay at this hotel was out of necessity and does not merit a return ever again. I do not recommend this hotel. It was worth maybe 600 rupees or so just based on cleanliness and coziness, but less considering their inept approach to customer service. We have stayed in much cleaner and friendlier places in India for much less. For this price I expected more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dhalsim282

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed May 22, 2012

this place is a little inside, need to search. there are 2 places, the old and this new one. the place is really good for a short stay, safe basement parking, clean rooms, clean bath. have a restaurant down, closes at 11pm. the tariffs is about 2500/. with breakfast. people are nice.
central AC in the entire hotel.

Room Tip: all rooms are good.