“Good addition to Coimbatore”

Vivanta by Taj - Surya
Ranked #4 of 91 Hotels in Coimbatore
Mumbai Indian
“Good addition to Coimbatore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I visited Coimbatore recently after a long gap. Earlier I used to stay at Residency only. This Taj has become a welcome addition to Coimbatore.

The staff are very good and courteous.

The rooms are really nice and quite large.

The break fast buffet was good... A home maker making crisp dosas for you is welcome one.
One thing I noticed in reception and more in resturant is the quality of blazers worn by the staff...many had the stiches opened at the back giving a very akward look.
The check out was very prompt... they were ready to offer a late check out.

Over all a wonderful experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

What I liked:
1) Predominantly, the location of the hotel. Located on the race-course and is easily approachable from anywhere in the city.
2) We were given welcome drink on arrival. Felt great.
3) Awesome reception lounge and lobby.
4) The rooms are really well designed. It feels fresh and rejuvenated.
5) People were courteous and friendly.

What I didn't like:
1) The breakfast wasn't given as complimentary.
2) They don't even offer Wi-Fi free of charge even these days. We pay so much and yet denied basic facilities.
3) They charge for whatever we consume from mini-bar. This didn't look good.

Hotels like Le Meredien and Park Plaza offer more and charge less than Taj. I felt a bit let down and wouldn't choose this in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here just a night en-route to Coonoor.

Comfortable hotel! Lovely pool on a terrace. That day there was an amazing breeze. They had arm bands or tubes that our toddler could use though.

But what was just breathtaking was the breakfast. Just fabulous. The idlis we still remember!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kotdwara, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

recently we stayed at taj vivanta at coimbatore.... the stay was excellent.... the booking was easy... staff was courteous and helpful..... and the stay was perfect..... however if you are dining at latitude.... then be prepared for a delay in serving of chappatis.... even rotis take some time.... hope they improve this.... otherwise it was an amazing stay.....

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Me and my partner came to stay here to spend time together and it was just what was needed. We only spent one night here but in that time everything was taken care of really well. The service at the Taj go the extra length to help you settle in. They have tight security almost airport style but done graciously as you don't feel inconvenienced by it.

THE WELCOME: I booked this literally a few hours before arrival and through a third-party website which can sometimes mean the extra checks before they find our booking but as soon as I arrived, they addressed me by name which shows they are very up-to-date with everything and no awkward moments. We were told to sit down an relax while a representative will come and show us to the room. We were given juice while we waited. The lobby is very grand so you do feel very at ease and feel as if you have arrived in an establishment who take care of the little details. The representative came and gave a short introduction and when we were ready, we were shown to our rooms with explanations of the restaurants and other facilities the hotel offers.

ROOM: We went for the standard room and it was more than enough. As you would expect from a high-standard hotel as the Taj, everything was immaculate. Extremely clean and neat, very spacious, very comfortable bed and everything works as it should. A lot of channels to choose from as well on TV. The bathroom was impressive, nicely laid out and a nicely powerful shower. The room has a cupboard with extras in there so whatever you need, including robes, pillows etc. Also liked the nice touch with the contact-less key which you wave over handle.

SERVICE: The service throughout the hotel was great. As I said, they go the extra mile. One thing which was amazing (albeit also a little freaky) wherever I was going the staff seemed to know who I was and would address me by name. Whether I was in the restaurant or going past the reception. This too, even when the staff changes at the desk, the new staff would even address me by name. It was nice but I don't know how they were doing it?! The really good thing was there were no pushy staff lingering or asking for tips, just pure good service to offer a service. My experience of India hotels have been quite the opposite in the past so it was nice to be in a place where I could relax and not worry about that.

RESTAURANT: Very delicious food! We went there in the evening and for breakfast (breakfast included in the booking). Both times the food was amazing. We went for the buffet and delightful salads and Indian cuisine with a few European dishes. Also dessert is included which was also nice but I wouldn't say amazing there. Had the standard Indian sweets and some nice cakes with Ice cream available upon request. The breakfast though was perfect. Everything I wanted available, from cereals, fruits, different kinds of breads and Bonne Maman jam (which happens to be my favourite). As well, all the Indian breakfasts were there including Dosa's freshly prepared there as well.

CHECKING OUT: We arrived in the evening when we checked-in so we were offered a late check-out which I think is a nice touch. As my partner had to be somewhere the next day we didn't take it. When we had to check out, we were running a bit late so when I asked if it was ok to check-out at 1pm (regular check out at 12pm), they were completely fine and relaxed about it which meant we felt relaxed from the first moment to the last.

Overall, a great experience and it gave us what we needed which was a relaxing time together. We were made to feel welcome the moment we stepped inside and the staff are extremely friendly, helpful and warm. Our only regret was we didn't get to use the swimming pool as we arrived late and didn't get up early enough the next day. The pool area looked great so next that is something we will have to explore, as well as the other restaurants, next time we go there which I think will definitely happen and I look forward to it. I hope the standard they set stays.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kolkata India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had a night stay in Taj Vivanta also known as Taj Surya. I was given an airport pickup and was pleasently surprised to see the staff waiting inside the airport. Promptly whisked off to the awaiting cab. In the hotel they recieve the guests at the entrance itself and infact there was no formality of check in. I was directly escorted to my room which was on the 6th floor. And the check in was done in the room. ( +10 for that). I was pleasently surprised by the personal touch. They even went out of the way to check availability of other hotels since the next night they were sold off. These small things do matter a lot. Had dinner in room service, which was prompt and efficient. Breakfast was nice with all the choices. Overall it was a extremely comfy stay for me

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here on a quick business trip recently. Located in one of the affluent areas, the hotel is new and nicely maintained. They have a couple of good restaurants on premise and most of the staff is new and very helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business