“Don't even think about it”
Review of Sugam Hotel

Sugam Hotel
Sugam Hotel
Ranked #81 of 100 Hotels in Coimbatore
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here for two days and one night, last week i.e. 28 & 29th May, 2013 on a business trip. My experience was horrible.

The room service was pathetic. A bottle of water ordered at 8 am in the morning turned up only at around 10.30 pm that too after 4-5 reminders. The tap in the wash basin was not working which was repaired only on the second day. Stayed in Deluxe Room but it was not worth the money. Morning complimentary breakfast was namesake and pathetic. No pantry means you need to venture out for lunch/dinner. Rooms were not cleaned on a daily basis.

Overall, had a terrible experience. Think twice before entering this hotel.

Room Tip: Take my advice - "Don't stay here"
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Half_Demon

Reviewed May 21, 2013

we visited coimbatore in mid april. as it was a short notice trip we didnt make reservations. we had stayed in a neighbouring property last time and there were no rooms available for the day so we checked in sugam (biggest mistake).
on checking in the hotel reception staff knew little english. we asked for rents...and after all discounts and taxes we were told @1500 for a non ac room (for the first day) and @1880 for ac room for next 4 days. on the first day night, we were told the ac room was available, and we could check in there instead of non ac room at no extra charge.
the next few days we were woken up at 6.40 am fm our sleep for a bed tea/coffee (which was charged although breakfast was included in the package). also this hotel has no restaurant !!! the food is outsourced from a nearby eatery. breakfast is good but very small portions and limited !
the stay was alright the service was ok the rooms were clean although not extraordinary.
on day 2 of our stay we found out that the geyser was not working in our room. so we had to take turns and go to nearby room to have a bath...extremly stupid but no other option as no other ac rooms were vacant
the shoch came on the final day when we saw a bill of 7500 for 3 days....by no calculation would it come to that amount. on asking the front desk they said the rates told to us on check in were wrong. so we called the receptionist who had checked us in, he accepted his mistake but now the bill could not be made as what was told to us.
also we were shocked to see that our morning coffee was charged. on fighting for the same, they accepted their mistake and revoked the charge.
we were ready to pay the bill as per the actual tariff (morre than what was told to us at check in) but we then realised, that even at ac room rates on the tariff card, the tariff charged was much higher. so to collect money they told us that they had made us stay in suite room and not just ac room (something we had not asked for and were not aware of). also when we saw the other suite room of the hotel it was much bigger and better than what we had stayed in.
the hotel guys were determined to charge us the money and the manager was rude, inefficient, not willing to accept the hotels mistake. we ended up paying the whole sum (extra 3400/-) than what we had calculated during checkin.
for less cost there is hotel right next door which has amazing service and nice people and not thugs like these. the hotel is a black spot on the name of hospitality in coimbatore.
please beware and do not go to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank docrajiv
Reviewed April 21, 2013

we stayed for 3 days at this hotel. it was a sudden trip to kovai so we enquired the rates , found it ok and then checked in. first the good points in this place.

good points.
rooms r comfy, location is best as u can shop, eat and connect to nearby places. a lot of shops r around on this road, so shopping for the whole family can be done here. also the best food courts r on this road, annapoorna hotel, agarwal sweets, chips shops, fruits, juice and icecream parlour, pizza huts, and many more. the complimentary breakfast is tasty but limited.staff r courteous, but u need to know tamil to speak to them.if not some humorous moments r sure.

needs improvement in these areas.
the ac's dont work properly in some rooms, all thro the 3 days of our stay the ac was not repaired and we had to make do with the fan. when we go out in the morn and give the key at the counter for getting the room service it is not done. then when we r bck at the room it is cleaned after we pay some money to the cleaners.
the breakfast though good is very limited which might not fill some stomachs.
THE WORST PART WHICH NEEDS TO BE STOPPED SOON IS ------THEY CALL U AT 6.30 IN THE MORN AND ASK U IF U WANT BED COFFEE OR TEA..........WHICH IS NOT COMPLIMENTARY. Y DO THEY DISTURB PEOPLE AT THAT HOUR WHEN NOT TOLD TO DO SO.
?
OUR FRIEND WHO WAS WOKEN UP ON ONE SUCH DAY WAS VERY IRRITATED AT THIS .

if the owner of this hotel is reading this .....plx make some necessary changes in ur hotel sir, it will help u in the long run and bring in more money and also earn u enough regular tourists.

Room Tip: do chk the rooms before u chk in.......chk if ac is working, dont pay too much adv also.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bujji16
Reviewed August 16, 2012

nice hotel to stay......recently renovated.service is very goodand the staffs are very kind and gently...Maintance is very good........absolutely very worthed for the rate......the property is centrally located and very useful for shopping.....

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank goodstay879
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I recently stayed couple of nights @Sugam hotel. It was a last minute trip so didnt do much research beforehand. And what a terrible experience it was.
On the first night, I get into the room to find a coakroach. I get moved to the room next door. I was staying on the 4th floor the whole time.
Then in the middle of the night, they ring me saying I've filled in the wrong form, and I need to come down to reception with my passport. This being a rude awakening I shout at them for waking me up for such a trivial thing and that it can wait until the morning. Nope, they keep ringing me until I eventually go see them. They keep my passport for 2 days.
On the 2nd night, I was told I need to pay a cash advance, and upon checkin out would get a refund. After much arguing about this unusual process, I eventually give in and on the day of the check out, instead of a refund, I'm asked for even more money, due to an "admin mistake".
Their staff are terrible, unprofessional, with absolutely no idea of customer service. They speak no english at all, not even at basic level and are the least helpful employees I have encountered in a long time. One of them even followed me into my room one evening as I was coming back and asked me for a tip, even though he had done absolutely nothing to deserve it. I gave him 10INR out of sympathy in the end, only for him to throw it back in my face and asking for me. I told him to go take a hike.
This is one of the worst hotels I've stayed in - avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank toffy m
Reviewed December 15, 2009

A good cheap place to stay. The hotel is old. But the maintenance is good. The breakfast is excellent

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cosmoherbs