“Quality Hotel for Family Trip”

Hotel Alankar Grande
Ranked #27 of 95 Hotels in Coimbatore
Coimbatore, India
“Quality Hotel for Family Trip”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Hotel Alankar Grande is located in center of city.
Really Quality in all, Food & service is excellent.
People and parking and other thing are OK. But reaching hotel is little difficult.

All other are fine. Quality Hotel for Family Trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ckarunkumar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Chennai
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Alankar which used to be one of Coimbatore's landmark hotels over many decades has been converted into Alankar Grande some years ago. I still rememberthe multi coloured tiles and the long fish tank at the entrance from yore. Expecting the food and hospitality to be the same, I had used the hotel during my last visit and was not disappointed. The rooms were large and comfortable and catered to every single need of a business traveller. The food however, was expensive. Even the cost of the rooms was high when compared to its peers but I did have a pleasant night's stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank priyabaskar
Copenhagen
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Checked in to a nice hotel because we wanted a good nights sleep and get up early next morning to ride our motorcycles. But there was hammering and drilling going on. Loudly. After eight calls to the reception it finally stopped at 1.30am. When we asked for a partial refund next morning they were very unhelpful. It took half an hour of haggling to get 30% off. Beyond me how it's possible to stay in business with that kind of attiitude.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank CalvinConaway
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Was here last week for 3 nights while attending a conference. Hotel is well located close to heart of city within CBD, so getting to different places should be easy.
Pros
1. Clean and well maintained rooms and lobbies, in spite of the inevitable heat and dust outside due to location. Even the outside noise was well cutoff from rooms.
2.Good complimentary breakfast spread.
3. Courteous and helpful staff overall.
Cons
1.Rooms very small, atleast the standard one we stayed.(deluxe is supposed to be bigger).
2.For the cost (4K), possibly one can expect better rooms in a tier 2 city like Coimbatore.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Me and my wife decided to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary by going for a buffet dinner to the so called "biggest spread" in Coimbatore, the restaurant at the Alankar Grande. The buffet costs over Rs 650/- which is at par or even more than what the Taj Vivanta or other prominent hotels in Coimbatore charge. So we decided that if it costs more, then the food must be good, and decided to take the plunge. We went over for the buffet on the 7th of April, our Wedding anniversary. Booked a table for two well in advance as I was told that the place gets jam packed otherwise.
Our bad experiences started right from the door, the valets we very rude to people who did not use their services. They would tell you exactly how to park your car and god forbid if you made a mistake., you would get a mouthful from these valets. Finally reached the restaurant.
Me and my wife were quite shocked to read off the dishes served, they were all local tamilian dishes which one couldn't even pronounce properly, even though I am a tamilian. There was hardly any dish that sounded familiar. Now I wonder if you would believe that there was no Paneer on the menu that day except for a spring roll. My wife who is a veggie, had to take some local tamilian dish and was very disappointed. I firstly tried the kababs and bread pakora. They were ice cold. The exec chef was wandering around there, so I told him that the food was largely cold and he told me that it was due to the air conditioning. Ok.. Next asked for some butter naans, they too were cold.Now that cannot be because of the air conditioning I can safely assume. I picked up some sweet lassi, well the placard in front said so, but it turned out to be salty type. The placards had been placed wrongly. I pointed out to one of the many suited men who were wandering around.I did not take any chance to try it out again.
Overall the experience was really bad. My wife chides me even today that we managed to ruin our perfect anniversary dinner in such a lousy , manner
What i could make out is that the same restaurant serves a buffet for lunch everyday, and the food that comes out for dinner are the left overs from the lunch buffet. That explains why the food is cold, including the naans. Secondly, the uniformed and suited staff have little or no time to check the small things like placing the right placard against the right dish. They leave it to the waiters who do by routine. And finally, there is a air of arrogance in the environment which stems from the fact that "Alankar Grande boasts of the best buffet in Coimbatore and anything we do is acceptable".
This arrogance is subtly felt in the entire surroundings. Anyway, I hurried up my buffet and left the place with poor memories. I recollect Rajiv Masand. the film critic, whose movie reviews that come on CNN-IBN every week. He says, "we suffer the punishment so that we save you the trouble of going through the same." I consider myself Rajiv Masand this time . I have gone through the ordeal so that others do not. Anyway, I am happy that the myth has been broken completely. Try and avoid the buffet at Alankar Grande if possibel.. Its just not worth the huge cost.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
34 Thank sreedharvasudevan
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Went to Tiffany's for some lunch the second time today after having some good food yesterday. Surprise Surprise when I ordered the same dish, the serving was different as was the cutlery used to serve. I raised this with the Captain mentioning it was definitely not the same quality as yesterday.
He was rude and dumped another serving and said 'you could have this'. This is totally unacceptable for even a mediocre hotel...for a hotel such as Alankar Grande with high aspirations this was definitely a shocker..Looks like the managers have changed, I have been there on and off, but with this incident, this is off my foodie list !!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Salima001
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I usually stay here during my official visits and hence opted this hotel for my holiday trip.
Was shocked to see bed bugs in the room and when the person at the reception / front desk was informed about it, there was no response. This was even more shocking.
The dining room needs to freshen up as the smell of food is forever in the dining room.
good staff but not a pleasant experience this time when my family was with me.
The management must look into this issue.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family