“clean and great value room”
Review of Hotel Mewar Inn

Hotel Mewar Inn
Ranked #14 of 202 Specialty Lodging in Udaipur
Denpasar, Indonesia
“clean and great value room”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The room where i stayed was clean, comfortable, and so far it was the best value for money in its price range.
It is far from the tourist area, but transportation is not an issue. Many tuk-tuks just across the road and it doesn't cost much.
They have internet service, but the connection was very slow.
It has a rooftop restaurant, nice place to sit around. Ordered a noodle soup, very disappointing. Served in a very small bowl, hardly anything in it.
Overall, i was happy with my stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Chernihiv
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We really enjoyed staying at Mewar Inn this November. The owner was VERY CARING. He's definitely one of those few Indian hotel owners who are 100% client oriented. He picked us up at the bus stand early in the morning, allowed us to use a different room free of charge before we could actually check-in and use our room.
Although not all of his boys speak and understand English, they are very cheerful (unlike the personnel in other hotels) and helpful!
The restaurant there is also quite good.

Cons:
1. Although we were told that the hotel was only 10 minutes away from the lake, it actually takes about 40-50 minutes to get to the center on foot :)
2. It's quite cold in the rooms.
3. Here we were recommended a hotel in Jaipur, which was our next stop, but it was one of the worst places ever. In case you ask the owner for the same piece of advice, do not go to Jwala Niketan in Jaipur if he recommends it.

Other than that, it is a great place and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, who's looking for nice service at a decent price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank StasIvashchenko
New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I recently stayed three nights at the Mewar Inn in Udaipur. It is a budget traveler's dream. I discovered it here on tripadvisor and after reading all of your reviews called the Inn where I spoke with the owner, Mahendra, who offered me the same excellent price so many of you have been given - Rs 250 per night. Additionally, he offered to pick me up at the railway station. In the six years I've been in India that's only the second time that has ever happened. The other time I was planning to stay 10 weeks in the hotel where I got such incredible service. The Mewar is clean and there is plenty of hot water. I wouldn't recommend anybody's going to Udaipur in August as I did. The weather is blazing hot. My little room had a good overhead fan but there was very little circulation so it was not comfortable to sleep at night. The crowning surprise of this visit though was that on the day I was to check out my train wasn't until 6 in the evening. When I asked Mahendra when the check-out time was, he wanted to know when my train was, then offered that I could just stay in my room without additional charge until it was time to catch the train. His two workers are also very nice young men who do everything they can to make one's stay there comfortable. I didn't eat there so I can't really critique their food. The Inn is several kilometers from the tourist scenes in Udaipur and dealing with the rapacious rickshaw wallahs there is not fun, but I finally was able to find a wallah or two who would make the journey to the city palace, etc. for 50 to 70 rupees a trip. I actually didn't mind coming home to a quiet location that was removed from the tourist hubbub and the price was so reasonable that the charges for rickshaws could be forgiven.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Daya108
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We picked up a leaflet for this place in Mumbai. The prices seemed to good to be true. Rs192 for a "diamond deluxe" room?!

Upon arrival in a prepaid auto from the train station we were shown the room. It was the largest hotel room we had seen in 3 months travelling around India. And the price was indeed Rs192 a night. Wow.

Our onward journey was a night bus to Jaisalmer. Our host not only allowed us to stay in the room until 2100 at no extra cost, but gave us dinner on the house to send us on our way.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Mewar Inn to anyone visiting Udaipur on a backpacker's budget.

Oh, and there's free wifi too.

Room Tip: The diamond deluxe rooms are great. There are also a couple of good value AC rooms that have 32"...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cpome7
Udaipur, India
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The Mewar Inn is probably the best value hotel I have stayed at in India. The massive rooms upstairs come with hot water 24/7, television, big comfy beds and tehere is a lovely roof terrace housing the Osho restaurant. The staff are helpful, friendly and cheerful. It is a little way out of City centre but 60 rupees in tuk tuk or 30 minute stroll and you are in the middle of it all. It is a great place to chillout with other travellers. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms 21 upwards are the best value.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lionontouragain
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Myself and my partner were recommended Mewar Inn by a restaurant owner in Jaisalmer and I can now say (after my second visit) that this is our favourite guesthouse in India. Everything the owner and staff could have done to make our trip comfortable and enjoyable they did, and then more.

Arriving in Udaipur at 4.30am after a long haul bus journey it was a pleasure to be greeted by the hotels owner instead of trying to negotiate a rickshaw in my semi conscious state. We were then shown to our room which was clean, spacious and homely and beyond reasonably priced. In Dehli and other major cities it is possible to pay 3 times what we did here for a room that doesn't even approach this standard. In addition there is a lovely open rooftop which was a peaceful place to have a little breakfast or to read in the shade on a boiling hot day.

The staff also helped with finding affordable accommodation in Mt. Abu and Mumbai for us and were only to happy to help with any of our other queries.

The only possible downside I could see is that it is located a short distance from the main strip near the Palace but we actually preferred this as it afforded us more space and quiet and made for a nice walk home at the end of the night, seeing streets and places that you normally wouldn't. If you don't want to walk or take one of the bikes on offer in the city it is a short 5-60 rupee rickshaw ride to the lake.

I couldn't reccommend this hotel enough to anyone, it really did make our two visits to Udaipur special.....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple