“Feel like a Maharajah!”

Ranked #12 of 157 Hotels in Udaipur
Sydney, Australia
“Feel like a Maharajah!”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with our 2 teenagers. Amazing views, great rooms, excellent food and majestic service. Vinod Rathore and his team in the dining room managed all our fussy requirements with a smile. This is a great hotel to chill out after the long drives between major cities in Rajasthan.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ashwin R
Bhaskaran T, General Manager at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur, responded to this review, February 9, 2014

Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and ratings on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that not only did we live up to your expectations, but exceeded it. Your comments and ratings will help us keep our spirits high and strive harder to provide seamless and intuitive service.

I have discussed your feedback in detail in an appropriate forum. The entire team Joins me in thanking you for your kind words and we look forward to have you staying with us soon.

Bhaskaran. T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Noida, India
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The hotel is located very well and has very nice view of the Fateh Sagar lake. The suite palace room is also very nice. However, I had significant issues with the service. First, the hotel pickup did not show up. They arranged for an alternative pick-up after 3-4 phone calls. What was surprising was that there was no apology when we reached the hotel.

We were there for the new years party at the hotel. The party was outside and heating was done using wood. There were tears in my and my family eyes due to wood smoke for good one-and-half hours after which we decided to leave the party. I asked to speak to the hotel manager; however, I got no response. Felt really cheated with the party - I was charged 17,000 rupees for that useless party.

The food quality at the restaurants is average.

The water pressure in the showers is low. I complained about it but was not addressed.

I am a non smoker. However, there was significant smoke smell in my room from one of the smoking rooms. The staff tried to correct it - but could not.

Inspite of all these issues, the hotel management never cared to talk to me.

The hotel is really overpriced for its service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pawan G
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Friendly staff, very nice view (lake side rooms). Indian style breakfast. Rooms should be mantained better. There is no wi-fi in the room and the wi-fi in the lobby is extra charged. No swimming pool and no spa. Should improve for a 5 stars lux hotel.

Room Tip: Lake view room on 2.nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

Thank you for your feedback and ratings on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that not only did we live up to your expectations, but exceeded it. Your comments and ratings will help us keep our spirits high and strive harder to provide seamless and intuitive service.

Much as we desire to have a world class pool and spa, we are still awaiting a few sanctions from the competent government authorities.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I live in India, so I'm somewhat used to the frustrations presented by the Indian idea of customer service, but the Lalit Laxmi had it down to a science. Yes, the hotel grounds are quite beautiful, but the rooms themselves are nothing too exciting. Upon arrival, we were impressed by the dancing horse, but after getting into the room and finding out about the excessive charges for the Internet use and the fact that only one device could be connected, we definitely got off on the wrong foot. From there, things only got worse. The dinner we had in the buffet was decent at best and we were floored to see what we had been charged. After that, we went back to our room and tried to order some sodas that never got delivered. I called down to let them know I wasn't pleased, and the managers response was, "We'll see you at breakfast." I responded with, "And I will see you on Trip Advisor." Well, that was the wrong thing to say because the next morning at breakfast everybody in the entire restaurant was groveling and hovering all over me trying to apologize. It was beyond annoying. Another very irritating aspect of our stay was laundry service. We sent our laundry down without looking at the prices first (which was our mistake), and boy did we pay for that (literally). Our charges came to over $60 for really very few clothing items. What a rip off! When we went to check out, after two nights there, our bill was over $200. We couldn't believe it. They also tried to charge us over $30 each for a breakfast that we had already paid for. Nice try. If you're considering staying here, think again...unless you like getting nickeled and dimed. Oh, and my favorite part, they ask for guest feedback on iPad when people check out. As I was checking out, they could tell I was very annoyed with my stay, and the woman at the desk didn't ask me to fill out the electronic feedback form. I asked her why she wasn't asking me to, and she lied and said that it was being used. Anyway, I got it and let them know how I felt. I don't think anything will change though. You just can't fix stupid.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bjk127
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is a lovely hotel overlooking the Fateh Sagar lake, on a hillock. Maintained beautifully, the old mini palace is quite charming on the inside and outside. It does have more of a boutique hotel feel than the other five star chain hotels, which makes it quite a lovely experience. The staff are friendly and very courteous and helpful. Rooms are spacious too. Ours faced the lake and it was simply lovely to wake up to the view of the lake and watch the waters and life from the roomy bay window.
There is a basic play area for kids.
The food is priced high, but if you're a tourist in Udaipur, you will mostly be spending the day outside and eating out as well.

Room Tip: As the hotel is built along the lake, there are rooms that face the lake and one row that face the r...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AnuGummaraju

San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Be warned if you stay overnight during the holiday season. Hotel charges 7000 rupies (about $115 US) for mandatory dinner. This was fine print in the confirmation and required when I arrived. Mandatory dinner is outside so you can freeze while they take your money; plus loud music is blasted.

The rooms are barely an upgrade from the 3 star hotel where I paid 80% less the night before in Jodhpur. There is no heat in the room and only one blanket which is even more unpleasant after freezing outside for dinner.

The rooms are not sound proof. You can hear the echoing of everyone walking and talking down the hallway, and opening and closing their doors. Sleep quality is poor.

Internet is only for one device. You must buy a separate plan for every device you want to connect to the Internet.

Yes it is pretty overlooking the lake but that is all it has going for it. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank GHamp23
Earth City, Missouri
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Lalit Laxmi Vilas is located on top of a hill overlooking the Udaipur valley. The properly is an extremely well maintained palatial building, which used to serve as a guest house for colonial British officers. The walls, floors, paintings and decorations are all marvellous. There's even a massive 24ct gold painting in one of the presidential suites.

That said, we stayed in a valley view room. It was a little misty and cold when we visited, so the view and the climate was beautiful. One can stroll around the estate where the hotel is situated and soak it all in, in the beautiful gardens.

The staff are nice and happy to help, but it somehow felt that they weren't very well trained, especially when compared to the staff at the Trident in Jaipur where we had stayed the day prior. The food is good, but nothing to rave about.

Overall, an amazing property in an amazing location.

Room Tip: Ask for the valley view room on a higher floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple