“Stay like an Indian Nawab in Udaipur”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lake Pichola Hotel

Lake Pichola Hotel
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Udaipur
Rajkot, India
“Stay like an Indian Nawab in Udaipur”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have been to Udaipur several times. Most of the times I have stayed in a five star hotel, away from the hurly burly city area of Udaipur. The Taj and Leela resorts were I stayed before, were indeed beautiful and luxurious. Except this time, when someone told me that if you are going to Udaipur, stay is such a way that you get the real local feel of heritage and culture of ancient Udaipur.

The experience that I had during my this trip was indeed mind blowing. In fact, I did spend not even half the amount as compared to my previous stays. But, I am not really fully satisfied by my 3 day stay at Lake Pichola Hotel, Udaipur. It was so amazing to stay there, that to fully satisfy myself, I have to go back again next season.

Lake Pichola Hotel is situated in the town area of Udaipur. To reach there, you have to pass through such narrow streets that, only a good driver can save the car without a scratch, before you reach the hotel. I was really planning to cancel my stay while my driver struggle to drive the SUV through the narrow by lanes of market area. I was really cursing my self and the person who suggested me to stay there, for being on the verge of the trip getting spoiled. Once, we reached the Hotel Lake Pichola, reception, things slowly seemed to settle. Probably it was the beautiful view of the lake that was soothing. But, the next three days gave me one of the most amazing experinces of my life.

I was told that the hotel was made out from an old Rich Nawab's house, keeping the grandeur intact. My room had a huge balcony onto the river. The balcony was of glass from top to bottom, and the arrangement was such that two person can sleep there. I slept one whole evening to night in the balcony having the scenic view of the lake pichola. The food was indeed wonderful and delicious. But, the surprise package was the fabulous restaurant on the terrace at night. It was indeed a pleasure of a life to sit on the rooftop and have my 5 course dinner as I could not take my eyes of the Grand Lake Pichola. Other facilities like Massage and Swimming pool were added advantages during the stay.

Indeed, if you wan't to live like a Nawab of Udaipur, don't forget to check into Lake Pichola Hotel.

Room Tip: If you wan't to stay in Lake Pichola Hotel, only stay in a room with the Lake view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank NischalSanghavi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Hebrew first
India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We reached Udaipur is by Train - Chetak Express at 8 am from Delhi Cantt. You do not get anything to eat on train, better carry water eatable with you. One can take auto rickshaw from Udaipur station for Rs 10/- per person to Hotel. We stayed in deluxe room facing the lake with common balcony. Hotel was an old Havali converted into Hotel. We stayed two days in Feb. We had breakfast in hotel, lunch on site seeing tours & dinner on roof top of the Hotel. We were luck to see fire work display from the top. We used the same auto for local sight see tours, speed boat rides, temples etc. You can always check for seasonal or corporate discounts. We paid by credit card, which gives discounts + miles. We left Udaipur by Chetak Express at 1600 hrs. for Delhi. We also checked with the hotel for early check in & late check-out and got mail in confirmation. However, before departure, I called the Hotel reception to re-confirm my booking to avoid any surprises on arrival in a new place. Plan well and think what can go wrong. Hope reader will find my experience usefull. In sharing we all gain.

Room Tip: Any Lake facing rooms on ground floor otherwise 1st or second floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dranishmadan
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We enjoyed 3 nights at this hotel... two in the deluxe rooms and one in the suite. The views were fantastic, and we enjoyed the sunrise each morning. The Restaurant on the roof was also great to have, and meant that we could simply rest at the hotel after a long day visiting sites. Our only complaint was that even though it was nice when we left, we were not comfortable with the hotel staff always outside our room and would have been happier just to have called them up from downstairs. We also had a great driver called Dev.

Room Tip: the suites are amazing, but the deluxe rooms are perfect
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Uitenhage, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Spent 2 nights on this property having booked a suite & a standard room just before the end of the year. The hotel is situated in the older part of town, with narrow streets leading up to its entrance.
The foyer is characterful, and staff seem willing & eager to help. Management also ensured that all our needs were attended to & met. For this, management & staff must be complimented.

Having said that, it must be noted that is not a 4 or 5 star property. The rooms are ordinary at best. The bathrooms, although basic & neat, are mediocre. The jacuzzi in the suite leaked after every shower. Towels are more off-white and hard than white & soft, and breakfast in the foyer is more of the toast & jam variety. The flasks in which hot water was served were simply not clean. The suite had more than a dozen switches, & without realising, we had inadvertently switched of the fridge in the process. Nobody educated us about the room upon entry.

However, the rooms facing the lake make for a pleasant stay, & the rooftop restaurant adds to the pleasure.
If you're looking for an exotice place to be, this is NOT it! If, however, you're on a restricted budget, need an exceptional view of the city & will put up with all the ills that India presents, then this may be an option.

On my next visit, I will have a bigger budget!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

clean, but shower is basic. good lying down balcony wit nice views.
very good location. short walk to everything.
nice rooftop area with great views , you can just relax and have a drink after a busy day.
internet doesn't work, altough they claim to have it.
breakfast was below average, but I had worse in Jaipur.
all in all, good value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

A lobby to match any luxury hotel ...and a view to make all all.. other hotel properties to run for cover ...stay at hotel lake pichola is truly a magical experience . With all the tourist attractions within a walking distance ur fun is multiplied manifold
Need to be more innovative in the breakfast menu
Staying Jan 02-05 2013

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank lalit m
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just go in knowing your stay here is about the view. The room itself, including the bathroom, are pretty basic. The balcony and view right on the lake is what makes this hotel special. Really magical in fact.

Pros:
--VIEWS, VIEWS VIEWS
--Good location close to city palace and abundant shops and restaurants all within walking distance (Udaipur is by far one of the most walkable cities in India so this is a HUGE plus)

Cons:
--Breakfast pretty limited; Not much more than tea and toast when you get down to it
--Wifi doesn't work at all except for limited times in the lobby
--Not terribly clean and extremely small
--Bathroom pretty sketch' with gross towels

The positives (views and location) definitely outweighed the negatives for us. It was nice to be in a location that allowed us to walk and explore Udaipur as well as have a view and balcony to enjoy life on the lake.

Room Tip: make sure your room has a view; otherwise you are just staying in a dump of a hotel! This place make...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple