Hotel Hilltop Palace
Mahima Palace(Udaipur)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Lakend(Udaipur)
View Hotel
All reviewsrooftop barlake facingfateh sagar lakename suggestshighest pointsmall hillpanoramic viewexcellent viewenjoy the viewfront office staffbreakfast spreadquality of foodswimming pool ishot waterrooms are spacioustuk tukexcellent stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 25, 2008

My wife and i visited Udaipur stayed at the hotel for 2 nights over a weekend. The propoerty is quite decent, but the management quite sad, to say the least.
We had booked the place directly and the hotel was kind enough to accomodate my request for an early-check in and confirm a lake view (yes, one thord or half their rooms are city facing). On arrival at about 5 AM, the boy at the recption woke up to give us a city facing room assuring to trf us at abt 10 AM, post the check-outs. At 11 AM, i requetsed the reception (a different guy) for a change of room. to which they flatly refused. I blew my top and created a furor with the Manager, who finally transfrred us to a lake-facing room. The rooms were quite nice, with a pretty large balcony and a clean bath; the pool too was quite clean, though i did not see many users.
The food is avoidable though the ambience in the garden (doubling as an open air restuaraunt in the evening) is wonderful.
Overall the management was rude. Infact, i had to show a printout of the e-mail confirmation to get them to waive the breakfast charges billed.

Avoidable to say the least.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank inmumbai
Reviewed March 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilltops Palace for two nights as we were on a VJV Tour of Rajastan with a party of 14. On arrival the hotel looked pleasant enough.
The rooms were a decent size although shabby. There was a swing in the room but did nothing but get in the way!! The bathroom was grubby and in need of a refurb.
The view from the balcony was good it overlooked the lake and the terraced gardens in which people sat to eat their evening meal. However it was so dark in the garden that we couldn't read the menu let alone see what we were eating. The food was hot but the service was a little slow.

Breakfast time was a joke. There weren't enough tables to sit at. The table cloths were grubby and there was a distinct lack of cutlery and food. Most of the plates that would have contained food were empty. The staff were rude and not at all forthcoming with the simplest of requests. Everyone was complaining it was a shambles.

My husband was not feeling very well on the morning of our departure and asked the staff in the resturant if he could have some water as he wasn't well enough to eat the breakfast. They asked for the room number so that they could charge us. When my husband explained that he wasn't having any of their breakfast he just needed water they still asked for the room number. The staff started arguing with husband so he left in disgust.

When people from our tour assembled in the foyer to wait for our coach, I learnt that 4 of them had been sick during the night blaming the food. I would not stay there again. It was the worst hotel of the tour that is why I felt compelled to write my first trip advisor comments!!

• Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank LOVEDINDIA
Reviewed February 18, 2008

I had to attend a wedding and friends booked the hotel.
From the outside does not look special but rooms have A/C , your own shower, cable TV and room service. the hotel also has a lift. I stayed a week in the week I stayed did not see one cockroach or fly.
The rooms are basic but total cost for seven nights of A$220 it was a great deal.
The hotel is near to the post office and an internet cafe is 100 meters from hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Aruboy
Reviewed February 8, 2008

Set atop a hill (no, really) above Udaipur, but within easy reach of the city by tuk tuk, this hotel had great views, charming rooms (large, with a balcony, a view and a swing), pretty gardens, tranquil pool (tho it was a bit chilly), courteous and efficient service, and wonderful garlic naan bread!

• Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank judef66
Reviewed September 21, 2007

Udaipur is a beautiful city, there is so much to do and so much to admire. The city has its own magic, and I would love to go bak again, in fact, I wish I were there now. But Hilltop hotel is horrible. We arrived early in the morning, around 7. The restaurant was empty, and the food looked stale, as if it was brought from 2 nites ago. The receptionist was not welcoming at all. we had our room after 45 minutes, which is very understandable, but the biggest shock was the rooms we were assigned.

There was dust everywhere, the room seemed as if it were unoccupied for months. The bedding was dirty and falling apart, and the furniture, if any was really old, it has to go to the junk yard, and I am not exaggerating.

we asked for better rooms, and we were told that the hotel was full, and it was not true as I can tell from the restaurant.... It never got busy. By 11 oclock I went to speak to the manager, and he said the hotel is full, but he will do his best. we waited, and waited but no response, and no attention whatsoever. meanwhile two guys came trying to clean theroom. But no offence! they were the most useless cleaners I have ever seen in my life. We called the manager again, and told him we are leaving, then he said OK, I have better rooms for you. But it was too late, I lost my temper by that time, and I couldn't trust the people working there.
the hotel needs some major work and renovation, it is a pity to have in such a beautiful city, such a horrible hotel, with such bad management.

And guess what? till today I couldn't get my money back. But I left, I refused to let them spoil my beautiful holiday...

Keep your sanity, and just don't go to hilltop. (I call it now HELLTOP)There are so many other small midrange hotels in Udaipur. we stayed in Mahendra Prakash hotel. And that was a REAL DELIGHT... and a REAL TREAT. (read review)

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank wtlover