“Good View, but no hospitality”

Jagat Niwas Palace Hotel
Ranked #17 of 177 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on 7 & 8th of Aug in Raj room (room no 109).

Pros:
Clean and neat rooms
Excellent view of lake pichola, taj lake palace from the rooms
Prompt service

Cons:

They don’t know the term hospitality I guess, when we arrived at the hotel, forget about the grand welcome with drink, the person at the reception ( I think ALI Hussian) is looking at me and just nodded his head with an expression why are you here? Same was repeated for all the two days. The service is prompt but missing the much needed personnel touch. I think we are the only Indians in the hotel and the behavior by the staff made me think that they least expected darker skin.

Though the room offers great views, it’s from the closed windows sitting on jharookas. I felt like I was missing something with the very experience of enjoying the lake watching. if it’s an open/balcony types and if the cool breeze from the lake touches it’s a different feeling, which I missed I guess.

They got a roof top restaurant but they said its closed because of rain, but I could notice few whites are served there, Not sure what’s their problem. After all, we too pay so much money for the room and tips for service.

Food is damn expensive for the variety & quality.

For those traveling with kids, there are few mosquitoes due to the property adjacent to the lake. So please bring along mosquito repellent cream such as odomous.

Overall not so great experience for the price I paid.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,440)

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Great location of this heritage hotel with a nice patio and a lovely decoration.

Rooms are not big but they are clean and new.

The restaurant offers a good view but when you say 'non spicy, no hot' meal they say ok but they bring it anyway. We took thedishes back and we had no poblem.

Is a nice place to stay very close to the city palace!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at the hotel during my visit last year and was very pleased with it.It is a heritage style hotel showing the old world charm.The rooms are different sizes, mine was big and clean.It was elegantly decorated with hand paintings on the wall . The beds were clean and comfortable.The bathroom was also clean .The location of the hotel is great with magnificient views. Sitting at the bay window you can truely enjoy the beauty of the "city of lakes". The roof top restaurant is par excellence,it also provided many menu choices. The food was awesome and resonably priced.I had all my meals at the roof top watching the spectacular views. The service was excellent and the staff was friendly and prompt. The hotel is centrally located providing the convenience for walking around to shop and explore. I would highly recommend the hotel. If you want to get value for the money book ahead to get a lake facing room.

Room Tip: Book ahead to get a lake view room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We booked Jagat for 4 nights but didn't stay......The location is great, the vies are magnificent, the management very understanding.
I was really looking forward to this hotel but unfortunately had been staying at the Tridents at other locations ( I know more expensive )
I had booked the most expensive room at the Jagat Niwas Palace is was clean, and of course in the Rajasthan tradition the views from the room were to die for but then we looked around the 20inch tube TV with no English Channels the bathroom shower said you had to switch it on 20 mins before showering, then wait 20 mins for the next one.
We walked around the grounds the temp was about 38 degrees there is nowhere to sit or relax except for the restaurant which while we were wandering had about 6 staff just waiting to be of restaurant assistance.
I had not even thought of a pool before booking but on our arrival in India we soon realized it was essential, if you sight see in the morning have lunch then back to your hotel because its way to hot to keep on wandering and shopping there is nowhere for you to go except to your room, or the restaurant/bar with waiters hovering constantly.
Now if your a couple and are happy to read, relax, sleep you'll be fine its beautiful. But I was travelling with my 25yr old son so a pool, tv, lounge area were a must ( Spoilt)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Brats
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed this hotel during my leisure trip of Rajasthan in Dec last year. The hotel is located in the lal ghat area which is good place to be in Udaipur especially for tourists. This hotel has got a very good view of the Lake Pichola from some of the rooms and from the rooftop restaurant. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. The restaurant food is very expensive and taste is not that great and actually you end up paying for the view from the restaurant. The areas where this hotel lacks is mainly on the customer service side and behaviour of the staff. I felt that the staff was mainly interested to please the overseas guests and not much bothered about Indian guests.
Overall it was a good stay but could have been better if the customer service was good.

Room Tip: Lake facing rooms are worth the money
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BangaloreNawab
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were at Jagat Niwas on the 8th and 9th of july 2013.A very nice lake side hotel.Nicely done rooms with rajasthani architecture.Specially the view from their rooms and the restaurent is mesmerising.
One wont regret staying at this horel for sure.three thums up to jagat niwas !!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 9, 2013

3 star hotel with a 7 star restaurant,An evening in the restaurant with your loved ones is the thing you really look forward. If you are reaching Udaipur by train bus or flight then this is a place to stay. just 4 step away from the temple and 10 steps from the city place.Staffs are very organised and well behaved especially the Manager .Mr. Bhatnager if I remember it correctly.

Haan the only thing to look forward Tea Rs. 65 per cup.But of course its good.

Hope hotel management will review the tea pricing after my review.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family