“Heaven”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 167 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We deliberately chose to stay here for our anniversary. What a good choice. Service is exemplary - all staff were friendly and obliging the whole time.Our room was large and comfortable We chose to eat in the Terrace restaurant for our anniversary - expensive but well worth it., Superb views over the lake and the palace.We were slap bang in the wedding season so we were treated to several firework displays from the weddings. For our anniversary we were given a lovely iced cake and sweets. My wife was given a beautifully decorated sun umbrella and a ribbon was draped over the bed reading 'congratulations'. We also ate in the 'International restaurant where they have some very romantic alcoves looking out on to the lake. They provide excellent entertainment at 6.30 each evening. This place is worth every superlative in the book

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,151)

Reviewed December 11, 2012

From the moment we were greeted on the jetty, we realised that our stay would be special.
Staff made it their business to ensure every wish was anticipated. We had 4 superb meals in different restaurants and the waiters were attentive & then blended into the background. Waiters suggested choices to compliment ours. The food was delicious. On one occasion the waiter did not charge us for the rice as we had eaten so little of it! Breakfasts in the beautifully designed central garden surrounded by fountains & attractive plants were an experience not to be rushed.
Watching Divali festivities from the roof top restaurant was an experience we will not forget.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2012

If you are wondering if it's worth upgrading your stay in Udaipur to stay at the Lake Palace, we would say an emphatic 'yes'. It really is one of those once in a lifetime experiences. We were fortunate to be there for Dewali so there was a brilliant view of all the fireworks from a lake point vantage but also the hotel provided a traditional Hindu observance in the courtyard followed by sparklers on the main arrival deck. Even without these special touches we would have loved it. Our room, while not especially large, was on the roof of the hotel, well worth the 2 flights of stairs and had a huge and largely empty terrace at the other end of which the rose petals were strewn on arriving guests. The service was faultless and it was special to stay in the world's only island hotel, a fact provided by the staff which we cannot and do not wish to dispute!

Room Tip: Just by chance we were, I think, in room 253 which was right on the top with very few other rooms an...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I only review places / Hotels where I believe some attention is needed, sometimes it's a flaw or sometimes getting the truth out of certain places but here I am writing about something I believe every human must encounter once in their life time, and if possible right now with the current staff.

You see it started with me planning my wife's birthday, and for right or wrong her previous birthday was made extra special by the staff at the Rambagh Palace, Jaipur. A hotel that belongs to the same group, and she just wanted to go back there, now a risk I took and thought I will try this, and believe me it's like the risk best taken.

This isn't a hotel, this is a place where people working there create your dreams, it's like you pass a command and it's granted, there is nothing they say a no for, has some of the world's best people working, I cannot name enough but think of this when was the last time you meet a chef casually, and you say you like the Vietnamese Pho' and he says ok you will get it for your lunch?

This place the Chef (Rahul K) Made that happen, there was not a single meal we had from the menu, he took every wish and made it happen, and paired us with some of the best servers in the world, and no he does not work for you because it's his job, he does it from the heart, a big difference.

Seriously Meet Rahul, He can make your stay Magical.

The Butlers, Front Desk, all are amazing and for some reason we were upgraded to what is perhaps the best room there, we had a Jacuzzi protruding out into the lake in a Glass cubicle which at a touch of a button could get frosted (Something like the Prada Store in Soho, NYC)

There are so many things to do in this hotel, believe me usually I recommend you book a higher category room but here even if you could not get that it won't be much of an issue as there is just way too much to do outside the room, They have a Spa Boat! It's Magical, and don't skip it, just like their brochure says, Most Spa's ask you to walk in, Here you sail to your Spa, and the Boat is amazingly equipped. (One Suggestion try do it before Sunset)

I wrote an email to the hotel thanking them for all, and I repeat a line which I mentioned there, they say a picture describes a 1000 words, but believe me even a 1000 pictures will not be enough to describe this place.

Go Stay there!

Any Negatives?

Not really and none that will bother you but if one had to be really picky, they have an annoying entrance but I suppose that will not be so annoying for most as you would arrive in the Hotel Car.

They have one of the world's worst head chef, the guy is full of ego and lacks the kind of people you expect to meet at such places, and I've met bigger and Michilen Rated chefs in my life for anyone wanting to know what standards am I comparing him to. But again it wont matter for your stay he hardly needs to be met, and for anything about the meals the other Chefs will do it all.

This is nothing to do with this property but high time Taj moves away from Forest Essentials, if they want to portray luxury this is the last part that shows the opposite.

Room Tip: Ask for the Lake view room, and if possible ask for #121.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Our entire stay was a dream and we are still dreaming of it. I was celebrating a big birthday and the whole Hotel team made everything to make it a real big day. We have got an upgrade to a fantastic suite. The complete setting, the room, the service, the food and especially the very attentive, warmhearted and charming staff were superb! I have been to many luxury hotels, especially in the middle east. But I never ever felt as pampered as here on this paradise island. It was thoroughly an enjoyable, fantastic and unforgetable stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The best stay ever! Like a dream! Lovely staf, beautifull rooms and the best vieuw ever from the bedroom! I had a surprise for my partner and the hotel did arrange everything perfect! They even provided a airport transfer while we had provided it to! So went with 2 cars to the airport!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Welcome to a worl of luxury. We arrived at 8am and were given a room by 10am which was greatly appreciated. While waiting we were offered a complimentary brekkie. The staff speak very good English. You can freely take the boat back to the city. A dancing and musical show was on at 6pm. The pool area is very nice with view over the city palace. You are in the middle of the lake and found we had an amazing view all over the city. It was a moment of peace and treat.... Which has a very high price.

• Stayed: November 2012