“Fabulous! We put in into practice back home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Indian Spice Box

Indian Spice Box
Ranked #20 of 86 Shopping in Udaipur
Brisbane
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fabulous! We put in into practice back home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Writing this review after hosting a Indian dinner party with friends last night! It took over 2 hours to clean up but the food was a hit!! Thanks Shakti!!!
We returned from India a few days ago and did the Spice Box cooking class in Udaipur last week.
On the morning of the cooking class we read the review below and almost cancelled. SO, SO glad we didn't! (Please don't let it bother you ... personally I think that girl and her boy must have gotten sick off something else they ate!)
Shakti was a great teacher. The others in our class were about an hour late so we were lucky in that we got extra time to chat with him and learn about Indian life. Definitely one of the highlight chats of our trip!
A tongue-in-cheek man, it was a funny class and easy to learn. You take turns being hands on and instructions are easy to follow. It was great to be able to learn how to cook Indian in an Indian way not the western way in which we normally eat it.
On return back to Australia we were super excited to go to the local Indian grocery store. We actually knew what everything was and it was easy to get everything we needed to re-create the dishes we had learnt to cook - at home.
In the class you learn how to cook a few dishes, but the great thing is that you learn how to create so many dishes off those. We followed what we had learnt and did a few spin off's from them and they really were great. I think that is the truth of how good a cooking class is ... We have done many overseas and in Australia (paying up to $250 per person per class and in spotless 5 star Miele kitchens), but I have to say that this is the class where we have actually come home and cooked everything that we have learnt!
Our only regret is that we didn't stock up on more spices at the shop. And that we can't run down the road to ask to learn more!
We would have been happy to pay extra for a class for just us two to do so.

Visited November 2013

Washington, DC
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beware of Cooking Class”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We took a cooking class here last night and unfortunately, my partner and I got violently ill the day afterwards. I've worked in restaurants before and this facility has a hygeine issue that they should improve for future classes. Here are some examples: the instructor did not request that anyone wash their hands before handling the food; when I asked to wash my hands, I was led to a sink filled with dirty dishes and handed a grimy bar of soap; the instructor used a bottle of water that he was drinking from to make chai; the restroom facilities were pretty bad and again, there was no handwashing station before returning to cook the food. I get that this is India, but if you are going to take a cooking class, it should be clean. Looking back, I wish I had listened to my instincts and left the class after seeing the facilities. The owner is a very nice and entertaining instructor and could greatly improve his business (and insure the safety of his customers) by making a few changes.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank pinkpower128
uk
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The Indian food I cook in the UK is so much better now!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Spice Box was recommended by my son's friend who had done a session here. It was the main reason that I travelled to Udaipur. Shakti is the owner/teacher and is excellent. (I was a cookery teacher in the Uk) There are other cookery schools but this one is the oldest. The session lasts for about three hours and is part demonstration and part doing it yourself. I learnt so much in those 3 hours. At the end you eat all the food! All the recipes are given to you on printed sheets. I have been cooking 'Indian' food for 40 years in the UK but now my Indian food at home has a different dimention - more depths of flavour and you'll see what I mean when you do the course. The course costs about RS750 - see lonley planet. The sessions run at different times according to when there's demand, there's no set time. Shakti is not good at answering emails but he is brilliant at sharing his enthusiasm for food. Give it a try.

Visited March 2012