“Inefficient and very basic”

The Little Prince Heritage Home
Ranked #23 of 250 Udaipur B&B and Inns
“Inefficient and very basic”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Sadly the worst hotel we stayed in during our 26 night stay in India. Uncomfortable beds with rock hard pillows. No bed sheets provided just an unclean blanket which we reluctantly used because the room was freezing (we stayed at the beginning of January). Only one towel provided which did not look very clean. If the price was cheaper then it would have been ok but for 3000 INR it was expensive for how basic it was. We stayed in much nicer accommodation for 400 rupees less per night in other parts of Rajhastan. Lack of service was apparent, an example is we arranged an airport transfer on our last day. It was early morning, 5am and when we checked out, we were told to walk 5 minutes down the road and then wait?! Luckily we went back to ask the guy to show us because the taxi was not there and it took 20 minutes and several phone calls to the driver 'via' a friend to get the taxi to show up.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This place is a real treat, amazing value for money and the rooms are delightful. All of the rooms are different, with hand painted features and decoration throughout. The water is hot, the food is decent and the staff here are lovely. There is a nice roof terrace with great views out over the lake which is a great place to just relax and enjoy looking out over the city and the lake...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dizzle-Bizzle
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Out of all the hotels we stayed at in India, this was by far the most relaxing. It's not a full service hotel, but that just means there isn't room service or a telephone in your room. Which c'mon, you can live without! Everything was well kept up, modestly but tastefully decorated, and clean. You'll definitely enjoy their rooftop restaurant area, where there are bed-type lounge seats and free wifi. You might even catch a glimpse of some monkeys on the nearby buildings from up there! The location was good. There are nice little shops around and it's just on the edge of the touristy area. You'll definitely be able to walk everywhere you want to go in Udaipur. What made this place more than just good was the guest house managers. They were helpful and kind, but left you alone when you needed it. They weren't the least bit pushy and were completely understanding of what visitors experience while traveling. If you're reading this and you are currently in India or have been here in the past, you'll totally get why this is important. This hotel was my favorite during my 2 week trip!

2 Thank Sarah E
Jyvaskyla, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was the best hotel we stayed in India. We spent 5 nights. The staff was really friendly and helpful. We already miss them, especially the chef Manu. I was sick and he even ordered the fruits I wanted when he was doing the order for the restaurant. These guys are really something you don't usually meet in India.

The hotel was clean and very nice. The room was a bit dark but it didn't really bother. Hotel restaurant has a view to the lake and food is good and fresh. Really lovely place even for a longer stay. Highly recommend.

2 Thank tilliainen
Speyer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed 12 nights in the Little Prince Heritage Hotel and I enjoyed my stay with the Little Prince Crew. The rooms are clean and comfortabel. The food is good and the cook cares for his customer. Three young professionals manage the hotel since four month. They are friendly and helpful. And that is the point. They are helpful, when you need it. They did not push you doing that and doing this. No roundtrip-offer, no sightseeing taxi, no special lassi, no buying offers. But when I want a new bedsheet or towel, it was done in two minutes. When I want to have breakfast it cames fast and well done.
I had to write a book, that was the reason to stay 12 days in Udaipur. The relaxed atmosphär and the possibilty to hang around for hours at the rooftop restaurant without getting disturbed, made my work going fast. I recommend the Little Prince Hotel as a good midclass hotel with reasonable prices.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank digitaletiefe_com
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I will forever feel a touch of guilt that on the day that I arrived at The Little Prince. I had been led on a wild goose chase around Udaipur dropped in the wrong place by a taxi from the airport, lugging heavy bags, walking, jogging, then a short trip in a Rickshaw to the wrong Little Prince (a restaurant) and then carried kindly on the back of a stranger's motorcycle to the Little Prince Heritage Home, luggage dangling from my shoulders. I arrive slightly out of sorts. Eddie and Manu instantly put me at ease. There was some confusion over my room, but it was quickly resolved, and once I caught my breath, the warmth and charm of the place started to sink in. It is an old house just above the Hanuman Ghat in Udaipur (which is really the most beautiful location in the city, with views of the Lake Palace and the City Palace, lakes and mountains and gorgeous architecture in every direction.) The 6 guest rooms are on the 1st and 2nd floors, each with its own bathroom, some rooms have TV and AC, the whole place has free Wifi, and the 3rd floor is the big open space where everyone just hangs out. Manu is in the kitchen, and when he comes out he'll talk your ear off after he's surprised you with some culinary creation or a hat glass of masala chai. Eddie is the dreamy manager and I am sorry that I don't remember the names of the others, because they made me and the other guests totally feel as if the place were our home and we were all just hanging out. I am a contributing editor for Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel Magazine, so I have stayed in some cheap places that were total dumps, and I have stayed in places that cost very little but were clean and nice and comfortable. I've reviewed 5 star places, and I've reviewed places with no stars at all. For the tiny price you pay for The Little Prince, you get a very cozy and personal experience.

Room Tip: The room the call the "Maharajah's Suite" has a cool little sitting alcove full of pil...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Hobartypoo
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this "guest house" about 3 weeks ago. Once we arrived we were greeted with a smile right off the bat. The foyer was a little dark and sketchy, but then again the main guest house was towards the top of the building. We also arrived very very early, I believe it was like 6am. Once hiking it up to the 3rd floor everything changes. The paintings on the walls, the stylish carved doors with heavy duty locks, and the wall decor all quickly giving you a feeling your in a small palace. The host tp singh didn't even think twice to ask for our reservations at 1st. He actually told us to rest up and we would take care of the reservations later that evening. Honestly it doesn't get more accommodating then this. On to the room.. we booked the Maharaja suite in advance online. The size of this room was perfect for 2 people and possibly a 3rd if you had someone else with you. The bed was a queen size with clean sheets and two pillows. There was a sitting area overlooking the streets with plenty of windows. The seating area was a chase style nook with plenty of room to stretch and take in the sights & sounds this beautiful area has to offer. Their was a 20" flat screen TV on the wall as well as decent cable channels AND yes there is no fee for WiFi either.(be sure to ask for the password) The bathroom wasn't too big, but then again after traveling India they all seem to be around the same size. You have a shower area enough to shower almost two people and a western style toilet. ..which was a huge plus for me. The lighting in the bathroom can use some work, but over all this suite is worth the price hands down. The kitchen/lounge area is on the 4th floor which overlooks the whole town. The lounge area is super peaceful to just unwind after battling the street markets. The menu offers a great breakfast as well as good dinner choices. The staff goes above and beyond to help you with your journey while your there in Udaipur. If you need to know which streets are safe to walk, good shops,prices, places to eat, markets for food, sight seeing.. you name it they are always around to help. This place is truly a hidden gem for the service, staff, and overall experience. We stayed for 3 nights and would gladly go back next time were in the area. Coming from the United States, this was a great place to stay and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Book the Maharajia suite...pennies more to upgrade!
2 Thank Ruben H