“Really cheap rooms, great staff.”

Devi Vilas Guest House
Ranked #60 of 283 Udaipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Our room was 300 rupees, but he brought the price down to 250 which was nice of him. Manu is the guys name. Really nice fellow, he helps out his friend with the guesthouse. No one is ever downstairs manning the desk though, so if you want to speak to anyone, you have to climb to the rooftop where they will be.
Our room was perfect for what we wanted, a bit small, but we paid next to nothing! Beds are comfortable, ther was a toilet and shower in the room. The rooftop is amazing to hang out on during the day. Stunning view. And they serve food up there.

Downsides are the rooms need a proper clean. The hot water wasn't usually hot water, and our shower head was broken, so it was just a thick stream of water. All of this didn't really bother us, as the staff, views on the rooftop and location make up for it!
It's located in the centre of old Udaipur, very cool area. Great restaurants around, street food...
Worth more than you pay anyway.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank georjax

Reviewed December 6, 2013

The guest house is situated close to the lake, the palace and main tourist street. It has a nico view over the lake from the restaurant at the top. I stayed 6 days there. Arvind and Mano are really friendly and helpful. I definitely recommend this guest house for budget travelers and would go there again !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nlko
Reviewed December 4, 2013

brilliant location very close to the lake, fantastic views of the lake and palace from the rooftop restaurant. the staff were very friendly and helpful to us. the room was clean and tidy and contained everything we needed. we ate at a restaurant owned by the same people who own the hotel ans was led there by one of the guys from reception, lovely food but can't remember the name. a nice cheap well positioned place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank chnnang
Reviewed December 1, 2013

So I arrived in Udaipur at the end of my India trip with only 400 rs and a train ticket to Delhi in my pocket. I said to the staff (Manu, I think his name was) that I need a room for the night, but I could only pay you 150 rs. I couldn't afford to pay any more. The rest of my money had to go to bread and water and transport to Delhi Airport where I slept for the last night of my trip.

Manu was kind enough to give me a bed in the staff dorm room where he slept for my asking price of 150 rs. A double room in the guesthouse is 300rs. The room was adequate with a hot shower and western style toilet. It even had a view of the lake and palace. Manu slept in another bed in the same room as me. Despite my unvoiced concerns about having my property disappear, nothing went missing.

To top everything off, Manu prepared me roti in the evening and a cup of tea in the morning all for free. They understood the stupid situation that I was in and still allowed me to stay with them. I cannot be more thankful for the kindness and empathy displayed by Manu and the staff at Devi Vilas towards me. If you are looking for a cheap, clean room with super nice staff, then take a taxi straight to Devi Vilas.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank geelongexpat
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel is right on the lake, with great views, near lots of cafes, restaurants and shops. I arrived not feeling well and the Manager Manu couldn't do enough for me. The food is good and reasonably priced. They are very friendly and the owner, Arvind even took me on his motor bike to the train station early one morning to get a train ticket.
Both Arvind and Manu cannot do enough for you, nothing is too much trouble and after 5 very relaxing days I shall be sad to leave here. If you arrive by train Tuk Tuk 60rp and bus about 80rp.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lisa O
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We just stopped in for a cold drink after a hot busy day sightseeing. Prices very reasonable, very friendly chef, lovely view of lakefront. I'd come here again. Udaipur is a lovely city although the shopkeepers are a bit more pushy than Jodphur - not this place though.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank jussie77
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I really enjoyed the time that I spent at Devi Vilas. There is no better place to sit and drink chai for the evening than the rooftop restaurant. The lake view is super relaxing with everything lit up and the lights twinkling on the water. The rooms are clean and well priced and Manu will go out of his way to make sure that you have a hassle free stay. A great place to stay while you enjoy the beautiful city of Udaipur.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo