“Amazing, friendly homestay in a wonderful city!”

Chandra Niwas Homestay
Ranked #1 of 212 Specialty Lodging in Udaipur
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Chandra Niwas is an absolutely wonderful play to stay while visiting or working in Udaipur. I stayed here for two weeks in Jul-Aug 2011 and had the most fantastic experience. The family is accommodating and friendly, providing tips on the best things to see and helping you get there. The rooms are spacious and clean, the food fresh and delicious and the family's dog an absolute sweetheart. The area, outside the hustle and bustle of the tourist centre, gives you a much better experience of what life in India is really like.

Samvit's volunteer-run development project (DAAN) is inspiring and worth a visit, or even better, some of your time. I had a great experience helping at DAAN for a few days and learning more about life in Udaipur's villages, and how children living in impoverished situations might gain better opportunities and education.

Chandra Niwas is undoubtedly the best place to stay in Udaipur and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank nikkisyd

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Great home, great hospitality, great family and amazing volunteering experience. I just returned back to States (last night) and already missing all of this!!! I stayed in the two-bed room upstairs which was cozy and clean. I also liked the large roof top, cool place to chill in the evenings. Also I miss daily yummi Indian dishes as well as the daily chats with the family. I worked for 5 weeks for D.A.A.N foundation and found this experience to be simply "invaluable". I miss each and single kid from my classes!!! I will see if I can come back in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Irinette
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I truly have no negative comments to say about my stay with this host family.
From the moment I got there I was one of the family.
They are incredibly warm and welcoming people.
Their home was impeccably clean and tidy and the rooms were spacious.
They spoke very good English and even taught me some Hindi.
I was offered a bike which was great for getting around the town which has a great vibe..
I would just like to say thank you and would recommend anyone to stay here.
I had a blast and it was the cherry on the cake of my 6 month INdian adventure! :D

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank allyouneedislove85
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I haven't decided if it's because of Donna Chappati, the beautifully friendly family dog or this extremely warm and wonderful family that made this homestay one of the most welcomming in Udaipur, India. I stayed here for the month of May 2011, and from the first minute I stepped into the main house it was quite clear I was "one of the family" already!!! Not only are the rooms very spacious and impecibly clean, the location in excellent. I was offerred a pedal bike and found everything within 5 minutes of riding. The neighbourhood, neighbours and town are extremely safe and friendly, with everything you could quite possibly need within a 10-15 min Tuk-Tuk ride... that picks up passengers at the main road, a 3 min walk from the house. I shall be back in Sept 2011 hopefully for 2-3 months! Thank you for such a welcomming place to stay!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank sharondecouto
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I can't say enough about my experiences with the host family and this house. simply indescribable. The place is huge, it's in close proximity of stores and main roads, so finding transportation is easy. you can also walk to stores to get water, etc. The room was spacious and clean. Right in front of my room was a big patio to chill and relax. I had my own bathroom. Easy access to shower - both hot and cold water, even though you would never need hot water to shower. my room also had a cooler and a fan. oh and also wifi!
The host family is amazing. great food, friendly and affectionate host parents, a cool host brother to learn Hindi from, and a cute dog! They all speak English well, and they are also very understanding. If I go back to Udaipur, I would love to stay there again. I wouldn't want to have to find another place to stay because Chandra Niwas was far more and better than what i could possibly ask for!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank jenniferyun54
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stayed here for only a couple of weeks during an extended trip through India and Nepal and had the most incredible time. Immediately I was made to feel like a part of the family, Samvit and his family going out of there way to make me feel welcome and comfortable in their home. The rooms are clean, and of a really decent size with hot water. The home-cooked Indian meals were a big favourite – getting the chance to learn recipes and try it yourself. While staying I also got the opportunity to volunteer with Development Action Awareness Nationwide (www.daanfoundation.org) which really was amazing, the children are incredible and the work the foundation does really make a difference.

I definitely recommend staying here, I cannot fault it and without a doubt my stay here has been a massive highlight of my trip.

Room Tip: just ask, they are more than happy to help!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank sls87
Reviewed June 3, 2011

My wife and I are in the middle of a RTW trip, and wanted to include volunteering in India as a part of out trip. We had been in contact with Samvit, who runs the homestay, regarding his NGO foundation, Development Action Awareness Nationwide (www.daanfoundation.org), and were pleased to discover that this homestay would be our accomodation during our volunteer time with him. Samvit and his family have been like a family to us, and made us feel very welcome in their home. This has truly been a highlight of our trip, and I cannot recommend highly enough the Chandra Niwas homestay, or the DAAN Foundation. For more information about DAAN and the work that they do you can visit their website (above), or their facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10150097588920314). For an extremely verbose recounting of our time at Chandra Niwas in Udaipur, check out our blog (http://danandchristina.kronstal.com/posts/tag/daan).

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple