“Fantastic find. Brilliant horsemanship”
Review of Krishna Ranch

and 1 more site!
Krishna Ranch
Ranked #9 of 257 Udaipur B&B and Inns
“Fantastic find. Brilliant horsemanship”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Mother and daughter, both of us ride and have horses at home. Impressed from start to finish. The horses (and dogs!) were in cracking condition. Dinesh is a particularly empathic, understanding and knowledgeable horseman, who bought out the best out of the horses who were impeccably mannered, yet had spark and humour to them. They tether the horses, but let them loose individually during the day. No worse or better than stabling at home. We learned more about nutrition and feeding then we ever did at pony club or from vets in the UK. The food and accommodation is basic but wholesome. Would suggest more adventurous/ advance riders do a 2-3day trek, the 1day ride is more of a sightseeing on horseback affair, and although interesting it is a little less challenging.

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My friend and I (we're both Americans in our 20's) stayed at the Taj Lake Palace for one night, and then got picked up the next day at noon by a driver from Krishna Ranch. We were brought to a stunning yet modest ranch where we met the incredibly kind owner, Dinesh. We settled in in our cabin/room, which was much nicer than images show (hot shower, large bedroom, etc)... We then went horseback riding and enjoyed a late (DELICIOUS) lunch overlooking a gorgeous lake/mountain. The horseback riding was a blast -- I personally hadn't ridden since I was a young child, so they put me on a beginner's horse who behaved exceptionally well. When the ride was done, we got back and showered, then enjoyed a campfire outside. We also heard music and found out that it was from a nearby wedding, so we went with one of the ranch employees (in our pajamas!) and crashed the wedding, which was also a blast. Finally, we came back, went to bed, and woke up to an incredible view and breakfast, and finally were brought back into Udaipur by a rickshaw driver. Overall, Krishna Ranch was an absolute delight and showed another side to India that I am so happy I saw. I CANNOT recommend this experience enough for anyone going to Udaipur for at least 2 days.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ewess90
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We, mother and daughter, stayed for two days at the Ranch and enjoyed each and every minute there. Although we didn't go on horse-riding we fully appreciated being with all the animals. It was absolute peace and we felt very much at home. The price is very reasonable and the food healthy and very delicious. Here we got the best yoghurt since a long time and were treated with the local speciality Dal Bati. In the morning and in the afternoon we went for long beautiful walks (by our own - the countryside is totally safe). It's really a place to relax that we recommend to every traveller who wants to experience something different from the noisy citylife. We want to say thank you to Dinesh, Francine and Narani and all the nice cheerful boys who spoiled us with their smile.
We would be happy to come back!
Rosmarie and Christine Hunziker

Room Tip: All cottages are very nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rosemary188113
BC
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I just finished reading the previous review "A conflicting experience for animal lovers" regarding Krishna Ranch and found this review upsetting and highly unfair, so before commenting on someone else's opinion I'll start with a bit of my own background.
I'm a senior (69) and this was my 5th time to India and I just returned back home to Vancouver, Canada after travelling for two months in Rajasthan, Although I've ridden horses on a few occasions in the past, it's been several years since the last opportunity to ride, so I made the decision to spend one week at Krishna Ranch in order to prepare for the 10 day Udaipur to Pushkar Horse Safari.
I'm not entirely clear on the length of time the two persons from the UK, who's review I'm referring to, spent at the Ranch, but find it remarkable that the two dogs at the Ranch are referred to by their names "Lucky" and "Julie", yet, Narani, the only female employee at the Ranch, a very kind, conscientious and hardworking woman, who lives at the ranch with her husband and in charge of guests comforts, is referred to so impersonally as "a female employee".
Although I've been to 60+ countries, I've never travelled to the British Isles, so I can't comment on animal welfare or farm practises in the UK, but as far as the care and attention given the animals at Krishna Ranch, they are far superior to many farms and ranches I've observed in different parts of the world and that certainly applies to North America as well.
Krishna Ranch is not a five star hotel so don't even contemplate going if that's expected. On the other hand, if you like the idea of experiencing rural life in India, then go horseback riding, do a safari or just stay at one of the fine cottages at this working ranch and enjoy observing Narani and the other help as they go about performing their daily duties.
In conclusion, I personally recommend anyone with even the slightest sense of adventure to experience Krishna Ranch. Just go for it, you'll enjoy.
Thank you Francine & Dinesh for this wonderful, 17 day highlight of my trip to India

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Roa2
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is a difficult review to write because there were some very good aspects to my mine and my partner's stay on the ranch but we feel compelled to comment because we also found some great discrepancies with some of the claims on the website (and indeed the comments certain reviewers have made on here); and we feel we are obliged to write the review we wish we could have read, to raise some of the issues concerning the treatment of the animals on the farm.
We have allocated a rating of 'Average' to reflect the positive aspects of our stay: the ranch is located in a beautiful, unspoiled region, close enough to the city for convenience but certainly far enough away to truly feel peaceful, and the accommodation was lovely- in fact, we liked our cottage so much we immediately arranged to book in for two nights at the sister property in the city.
However, after looking around, we quickly began to feel uncomfortable with the way in which the animals were kept and the treatment they were given.
The website states that 'at the ranch [the horses] have spacious stables and a big fenced area where they can be free during the day' but during the three days we stayed this was certainly not the case: while two foals occupied the paddock, the remaining horses were tethered under their chins AND by one foot throughout the day, giving them little or no mobility. Consequently, they were clearly uncomfortable, straining at these bonds and stamping their hooves frequently; on serval occasions we also witnessed horses struggling to reach the food trough, being forced to stretch their tethered leg out behind them - employees were present at these times and did nothing to make them more comfortable.
While it was clear that the horses were well- fed and fairly healthy (excepting a nasty eye-infection one was suffering with, while still being used for rides), it seemed that they were simply there to fulfill a function and the love and respect other reviewers witnessed was not in evidence. (I must note here that Dinesh was away during our stay, leading a 10 day ride, so perhaps some things may have been different had he been present, but it was clear that the tethering by the ankles was an established practice, as there were rings put in the ground specially to facilitate this.) While the male employees did exhibit some moments of gentleness with the horses, we saw a female employee scream and shout at a horse she was trying to move, to a degree that was genuinely upsetting.
This treatment led to the horses being extremely highly-strung: they were frequently trying to kick each other and were usually unsettled, which was particularly evident when we went out for a half day ride. I was shocked that no one asked how much riding experience we had before pairing us to a horse and we had to speak up as they were planning on putting my partner (a novice) on an extremely challenging horse and me on the horse that was suitable for beginners. We arranged to switch and as soon as i mounted I was so relieved we had, as the horse I was riding was extremely difficult to manage and would have been impossible for a beginner; indeed, although I have ridden frequently in the past, I struggled throughout with him. It was clear that he was a lovely horse but entirely unsuited to being ridden by tourists with little riding knowledge on what was essentially a walking site-seeing ride; he wanted to go faster from the start (probably because he had been restrained throughout the previous 48 hours we had seen him) and it was a constant battle to keep him under control and stop him getting spooked by passing traffic, most notably, buffalo. (On a positive note, we were accompanied by two men in addition to our mounted-lead, which did mean that neither of us ever felt unsafe, though the claim that all the guides speak 'fluent English' on the website is incorrect - this was not detrimental to safety, but it was to comfort as it was impossible for us to explain more complicated requests. Dinesh's brother was kind to us during the ride though and pointed out some of the local sites and took us to see the lake.)
In addition to the horses' conditions being less than we would have hoped, we were also saddened by the treatment of the two dogs: one of these, Lucky, had given birth to a litter of puppies 20days ago, whom she was nursing, but she was so thin that we could see all of her bones. While some of this may be down to her vegetarian diet and the demands of her litter, it was clear she needed more food to compensate. The other dog, Julie, appeared in better condition but flinched and cowered every time a certain employee came anywhere near her, which led us to draw inevitably dark conclusions and neither dog was shown any affection during our time there.
The remaining animals -cows, including a ten day old calf, and goats- were tethered by their necks on short leashes which were actively dangerous (my partner had to intervene to stop two goats from potentially hanging themselves when they nearly fell off the edge of a wall while tethered). They were also on the receiving end of the female employee's angry shouts and, in the goats' case, thrashes with sticks.
While we are aware that farming methods and attitudes to animals are inevitably going to be different to what we are used to in England, it was impossible for us to not be affected by the things we saw and would certainly preclude us ever returning or recommending the ranch to others. As much of the business must come from Western tourists, I would urge the owners to consider how behavior like this is going to be perceived by guests who are very likely to be animal lovers and perhaps consider implementing stricter guidelines for their employees. The ranch genuinely has a lot to offer tourists and, as stated above, there were many aspects of our stay that were good- indeed, if the animal care could be improved, it would be wonderful but it really isn't enough to write on your website 'of course all animals are very well looked after by us and our dedicated staff' if you are not committed to putting this into practice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Leah-Kitten
krishnaranch, Owner at Krishna Ranch, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thanks for your review.

We (Dinesh and Francine, the owners) have read all remarks you made about the treatment of our animals and we are very upset about most of the commends you make. Just a few simple question from your side could have made things clear.

We truly love our animals and we do treat them very well. Our staff ,although they may shout sometimes when goats are coming into their cooking area, equally love all the animals. The goats are free all day, apart from the evenings and early mornings. Narani (the women you were talking about) has been working with us for 15 years and of course we would never keep staff which would not be nice to animals. Our dogs love her and follow her wherever she goes. She has kept new born twin goats in her house for several weeks to hand-feed them and would never harm any animal.
Our dog has given birth to puppies a few weeks ago and is a little thin. She gets special food to make her stronger and I am sure she will be fine in a few weeks when her puppies have gone. We make sure that all puppies get good homes with caring owners. The other dog, Julie is a very happy dog, friendly to everyone and loved by our staff. If you see the spirit and happiness of both dogs you can be sure they are not being mistreated by anyone.

About our horses. This part specially has affected Dinesh who truly loves his horses and is passionate about them. Dinesh was away on safari when you were there and took 5 horses with him which usually are located in the big stables. Two baby-horses and a mother with her filly were still in the stable when you were there. The 4 horses which were kept under the big tree are there because they like to be with other horses and are not happy to stay in stables. One back-leg is tied because they otherwise would get mixed up with their legs in the rope around their neck. They get lots of exercise either by going on safaris or by being free in the paddock. The paddock is being used by us to let all horses free for a few hours every day. Only horses which are going well together are being released and as our main staff was not there we decided not to use the facility for a few days to make sure that nothing would go wrong. Our horses are normally only tied up for a few hours in a day.

There was no horse having an eye-infection at all. The horse you are talking about (Bisli) was born with one eye only. You mistakenly took this for an infection. Bisli was actually saved by Dinesh a few year ago because the previous owner wanted to put her down. She became one of our most loved and best mares.
I have just spoken to the participants at the safari to Pushkar and they literally told me:’ we want to be your horses in our next life because they are being looked after so well and lovingly.”

We get a lot of good commends from other tourists about your guide (Vimal)who even have particulary asked for him when they came for a second ride. Normally Dinesh, the owner, guides the safaris but we think Vimal is very capable of doing the same. Note that Marwari horses are very spirited compared to other breeds. This makes them interesting to ride, specially for the experienced riders.

It is a pity you did not ask any questions while staying at the ranch or in writing afterwards.. We could clarify a lot of the issues you mention. I can say from my heart that we love our animals, would never harm them and we only employ staff who feel the same love for animals like we do.. This is reflected by all other reviews on this website.
Marseille, France
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My friends recommended Krishna Ranch to me. They had been on a 4 day trip with Krishna Ranch 6 months ago and loved it. Unfortunately I did not have time to do a long trip so decided to stay at the ranch and book 2 half day rides with Dinesh. It was fabulous. The horses were great:well looked after and well behaved. Dinesh is a very pleasant guide who was really proud to show the beautiful area around Krishna Ranch.
I was very lucky to witness the birth of a gorgeous filly when I was staying there. The mother and baby had a beautiful big stable, built out of natural stones.

My cottage at the ranch was spotless and spacious, The food delicious. Krishna Ranch is a very special place away from the beaten track. I would recommend it to everyone looking for nature, peace, village- life and beautiful horses.

I really hope I will be able to come back to Krishna Ranch in the near future.

Justine, France

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank justtraveling25
Ochiltree, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were picked up from the airport and taken to the ranch. The staff were very friendly and talkative. If you love horses then this is the place for you. The horses are very well catered for. Sunraj made a fire for us to sit by in the evening, lovely watching the stars and listening the the wild life and the crackle of the fire. Its a working farm and there is always something going on. Our chalet was spotless, with seats outside that we could sit and relax. We went a guided days walk with plenty of stops to see rural India. Very enjoyable and a welcome break from palaces, temples and forts.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple