“Home from Home!”

Palace View Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Udaipur
Palace View Guest House
Ranked #122 of 248 Udaipur B&B and Inns
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Home from Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Have stayed here on 3 occassions. Always a real pleasure to stay with Ramesh and Nirmala. Their home has a reat roof-top with full view of the palace.
Good humour good food and genuinely helpful family. Highly reccomended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bronx, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

I want to spare everyone the trauma I experienced.

Do not stay with Ramesh and Nirmala at the Palace View Guest House. I was treated like a prisoner, over-charged, and degraded with personal comments.

First: the money: I had negotiated a rate of Rs150 for a single room (adjacent to their own private bedroom -- yuck) and when I check out she insisted on charging me Rs 200, knowing I would be late for my bus to Pushkar if I argued with her. They also invited me to eat with them every night (I was the only one staying there at the time, which SHOULD HAVE been a warning) so they invited me to eat with them, at no cost since it was not menu food, but true family cooking. Then, she charged me for that.

Second: the degrading treatment. I was told when to come back to the house (aka curfew, which wasn't advertied) and questioned about my whereabouts in the evening in a very inappropriate way. As a single woman travellling alone, I would often read novels in rooftop cafes, enjoying the scenery until 9pm or so. Ramesh tried to scare me by telling me about "what could happen to me" if I didn't come home earlier. Shockingly, his wife asked me if I was menstruating and if so, to stay out of the kitchen and not touch anything important! OUTRAGEOUS. She smiled, and just explained she was a Brahmin, rules are rules. Well, my dear, then you shouldn't be running a hotel for Western tourists to your city! Of course, for the 5 days I stayed in Udaipur, they consistently inquired about why I was not married and tried to sell me on the virtues of arranged marriage and introduce me to their neighbor.

There are many places to stay in Udaipur with views of the Palace, for around Rs 200-400. So not stay here unless "being part of the family" means visiting your inlaws during holidays and being picked on like you are still a teenager.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah R
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

the house was really new and the owner and his wife was so friendly and nice!
the rooms are really clean and the shared toilet also.
i think when you have the chance than stay in this guesthouse, you can`t find a better place in udaipur!! its like a little family ;))
the eating was great, i want not go outside to eat ;) and the viewing to the palace in the night was sooo great....
i want to go back when i write this text....
the only think is that he have no wifi. when he arrange this than its a perfect place to stay for a long time!

Room Tip: when its too hot than need the room in the groundfloor, because he is colder....
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Mikosz
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I didn't actually stay at the Palace View. I did, however, have a reservation. I talked to the lady on the phone before I got on the night bus from Jodhpur. I told her where I would be arriving from and which means of transport I was using, and when I expected to arrive (this based on what the owner of the Hare Krishna Guesthouse, who had sold me the bus ticket, had told me - he was the one who put me in touch with Palace View in the first place as it is run by a family member). Well, as happens so often in India, the bus was late. When I arrived at the Palace View at 5:30 am instead of 4am, my room had already been given to somebody else. If there ever was a room. In any case, I wouldn't recommend this guesthouse for people whose buses do not run on a practically Swiss schedule.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mangosorbet007
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

I am a 52 year old Australian male, solo budget traveler, who has visited India 5 times since March 1986 and the Palace View Guesthouse stands out as one of the best place I have stayed. If you are on a budget and want clean, comfortable, secure, quiet and friendly accommodation give the Palace View a look.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank sozfromoz
India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

This place has it all, 5 mins walk to city palace, 30 mins to sunset point, close to main strip. Great priced rooms, i had city palace view, ac, double bed, library, clean, couch. The family that run this guest house are brilliant. Will help with booking travel tickets, laundry, food, room service etc. You can see the palace light display from room, the roof is great too, they picked me up dropped me off at station, let me leave some heavy bags there whilst travelling in between bundi and pushkar with the thought of coming back to udaipur after. Invited me to their wedding anniversary- cant recommend this place enough, the rooom was 350 rupees- im going back, cant wait!!

Stayed February 2010, traveled solo