“Bhanwar Vilas is my home and Ashish Sharma is my Uncle”

Bhanwar Vilas Guest House
Ranked #1 of 260 Udaipur B&B and Inns
“Bhanwar Vilas is my home and Ashish Sharma is my Uncle”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Reasonably priced,Impeccably clean rooms, Wi-fi, hot water, AC, Communal Roof Terrace and a great atmosphere. This place has everything you want and more.

When my wife and I first arrived at Bhanwar Vilas Mr Sharma said to us "This is not a hotel, this is not a guest house. This is your home, I want you to treat it like your home" Those words could not have been more true. As we were on a tight schedule (only planning to stay for 2 nights), Mr Sharma gave us recommendations of really nice places we could visit near by - they were mostly free things to do and in a walkable distance from the hotel. On our last night in the hotel my wife and I fell very ill with the dreaded Delhi Belly (I would never have suspected the hotel food and as we hadn't eaten any food at Bhanwar Vilas I know for sure it can't have been to blame). I will skip the gory details but by 2am my wife and I had been toilet bound for 5 hours, as a result we had had no sleep were really dehydrated and had run out of drinking water. We called Mr Sharma and woke him up from a deep sleep to ask him to bring us some water not only did he do this but when he saw how ill we were he gave us a big hug, got us some homeopathic medicine and told us to stop apologising. He also canceled the rickshaw we had booked to take us to he train station the following morning, and re-organised his room bookings so that we could stay in our room another two nights to recover. He offered us more medicine and doctor if we wanted it. As we all know you feel at your most vunerable when you are ill and knowing you have someone to rely on is exactly what you need. Two days later my wife and I felt much better and were able to continue the rest of our journey around Central and North India. We also had Mr Sharma's help in re-organising the next leg of our Journey after missing the train we had originally booked to Pushka.

Every other guest we have bumped into always has a big smile on their face.

Great price, lovely rooms, fantastic amenities and a welcoming atmosphere. You don't need anything else.

Also I forgot to mention, it is in a great location, right in the center of town next to the City Palace just a six feet up a quiet side ally.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank pointsup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Udaipur, India
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Today I am sad to leave Udaipur not only because it is simply one of the most elegant cities in the whole of India, but because of the unforgettable experience my husband and I have just had at our hotel.

On the first day of our visit we arrived at Bhanwar Villas hoping that there would be a vacant room. The first thing that greeted us was the warm, loving smile upon Mr. Sharma's face, one that we would see and look forward to every day of our stay! Mr. Sharma welcomed us like family. He told us "this is not a hotel... Treat this place as you would your own home." In fact on his card Mr. Sharma calls it a "Heritage Home."

The room we stayed in was simple but truly beautiful. It was clean, air conditioned, had a indian bed spread that I want to take back home and put on my own bed, a gorgeous view across the fascinating life of indian roof tops, and was spacious with two sections separated by elegant carved arches.
On our floor we had direct access to the roof top where we spent many a night staring at the stars. The location is excellent. It's central, there are many traveller friendly places to eat. Most of all only such a lovely family could run such a relaxed, homely place to be.

On our second night my husband and I fell ill. We believe it was the dreaded Delhi belly. Anyhow, we became violently sick. That night at 2 am, after realising that we only had half a bottle of water between us and were just getting worse and worse, we decided we had to seek help and called the front desk down stairs. Mr. Sharma answered. I explained our situation (whist also apologising constantly for waking him up). He came right up to the 4th floor with a bottle of water in hand and upon seeing us completely white in the face and trembling his expression turned to sincere concern. He spoke to us with such comforting calmness that it made us both feel a little better. Then he went down stairs, collected more water, some sugar and some of his own homeopathic medicine (which we took and it helped immensely). He told us not to hesitate if we needed anything else that night and told us that we were to think of him as an uncle and even gave us a few hugs which i must say, we appreciated beyond belief!!!

Due to the illness we had to stay on at Bhanwar Villas and were worried that they wouldn't be able to keep us due to new coming guests. But Mr. Sharma, calm as ever, told us not to worry and solved our every problem.

We will never forget the kindness of this man. Mr. Sharma and his family thoroughly deserve the extra half a star on trip advisors ranking system that would give them 5 stars. Everything about their guest house is excellent, from the rooms, location, food, to the beauty and sincerity of the family who run it.

Thank you with all my heart.

Emily

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily H
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I can't praise this guest house highly enough. It is located within 2 minutes' walking distance from the Gangaur Ghat of the Pichola Lake. But that's its only USP. What is really remarkable is the service and help that you get. This is not a professional hotel but rather a family run guest house, and you will get every kind of help and valuable suggestions about what to see, where to see, how to see, when to see from Mr. Sharma. He will also arrange for trips to Kumbalgarh, Chittaurgarh, Abu etc.

The rooms and bathrooms are very clean and hygienic; food is home cooked; acs are working perfectly.

If you visit Udaipur, then you really can't chose a better place to stay than this guest house.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 1st or 2nd floors, there is no lift
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank bishwaksen
jammu
Reviewed April 25, 2013

feel like at home..want to visit the place again and again had a pleasure to stay at this place... really liked the place and hospitality of Mr. jagdish.. specially the food ... if u ever plan to visit udaipur, do stay at this place, u will never forget this experience....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Varunpatni
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The rooms were traditionally furnished. And living there felt like Royal Rajasthan's Homes. They provided us latest technologies likes Wi-Fi zone, televisions, etc. Also the food was great. The main point that it was near to all tourists sites. Specially for young tourists who travels around the world it is affordable with all good amenities. And Mr Sharma's nature is polite co-operative. He guided us properly. Thanks to Mr Sharma.[:

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2013

It was an amazing experience being in this hotel. I liked everything here. The people who working here are very kind . I stayed here for 20 days . I really enjoyed it. Thanks for all stuff and special thank to the owner of hotel

• Stayed March 2013
Nagpur, India
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The accommodation is strategically situated in the heart of the city, close by from the prime area jagdish chowk in Udaipur. it is easily accessible from all the major tourist attractions such as the palace and lake by walk. its a good option for people who want to spend their time moving around, shopping and experiencing the city in a pedestrian way. Apart from the location, the room is clean and of a basic sort, with an attached bathroom. It is also a very safe bet for girls travelling alone or in a group since the warm family stays below the lodging facility and are a very caring and helpful lot. The host is extremely friendly and resourceful - arranging for taxis and offering travel tips. However, the room is a bit small and can be shared at best by two people. Yet, the cleanliness and hospitality more than makes up for this. While I was at first skeptical, I am now convinced that this is one of the safest accommodations in a touristy city like Udaipur. Overall, it is great to stay right behind Jagdish Chowk in a typical old, heritage locality with a Rajasthani family as it lends to the experience of moving around and absorbing the city. It is definitely a good option for young, budget travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends