“Great little budget hotel with a warm heart in central location”

Hotel Kumbha Palace
Ranked #75 of 285 Udaipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The hotel is up a longish alley way and has a modes unilluminatedt roadside sign so be prepared to ask if you are arriving on foot especially at night. Don't let that put you off at all. Once you make it to the reception around the back you will be pleased yo did.

The lawned garden that backs up against the retainers quarters of the palace mean that its a lovely quiet spot for the area as Bhattiyani Chohatta is a busy commuter route for the motor rickshaws and hoards of mopeds there is some audible hooting but its far enough away down the ally not to be obtrustuve at all. I slept OK with the windows open.

As other reviewers have said the rooms are basic and good value. Its a very old building so with that comes the expected 'rustic' finish. The solar water heating system as pretty efficient and I enjoyed a hot shower each day for the 4 days I was in residence even though the evening air temperature required a hoodie and leggings. Bathroom fittings could do with a couple of new washers but everything works ok.

Super laundry service - better than my machine at home.

The lads in the kitchen do a cracking breakfast offer relative to the cost and the evening meals are decent too.

The wi-fi onsite works well, they have a PC you can use if you are travelling tech-free.

Francine is an obliging host with practical advice on offer and a warm smile. Thanks to her suggestion I found a decent local Kashmiri vendor (on right next door to the hotel) to meet all my pashmina, scarf and silk cushion cover needs as gifts.

I'll point out they have an impressive dog who lives on-site. She is a friendly and gentle great dane so expect to see her at breakfast as she likes the roof terrace. as much as us humans do. She never pesters guests in my experience but is happy to accept some fuss and attention if you approach her (which I did).

I would be more than happy to return to Khumbha Palace should I find myself this way again - not least to play with the dog..

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I booked into this hotel because it is an affiliate of Krishna ranch, with whom I was to set off on a five day safari on horseback. The hotel was a marvelous place to retreat to in Udaipur, with a charming garden backing onto the City Palace wall, and a rooftop terrace restaurant for lovely breakfasts, lunches and cups of chai in the sun. The room I had was minimalist, bathroom basic, but it was a very comfortable stay, and fantastic value for money. Laundry charges are very reasonable. Francine who runs the place is a wealth of information and was so helpful to me then I was deciding how to spend my time in the city. Beyond that, she and her husband Dinesh, who runs Krishna Ranch, were so trusting and generous towards me in helping me out with a logistical problem with my funds. I'd recommend this hotel as a lovely place to be, and as a great base from which to explore Udaipur. The location couldn't be better.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sheilin T
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Staff really helpful, especially owner. Arranged a city ride with another company to fit my schedule. Food - brilliant. Amazing value for money Super place for stay very clean, good service
windows offer a good sunlight. During mid night it becomes noisy by vehicle but second night was ok. You can have a very nicelake view from the rooftop drinking the best masala tea.
The toilettre was not so good such as towels as i expected but if you asked to change you willother choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank madellamulek
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This very affordable and quiet little place is very conveniently located about five minutes walk from the town centre.

It is back from the road and is really peaceful. It even has a nice garden.

The rooms are clean, with good quality linen on the beds.

For the price you will not better it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very helpful staff who seemed genuinely concerned when my boyfriend was ill and got a Dr to come out to see him. He was always asking after him. He also organised a courier service that was cheaper than DHL for us. There were a few power cuts but that isn't their fault. Some extra protection like screens at the windows to help protect against mosquitos would be good and some air conditioning. On the whole a great stay,value for money, location and staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Overall I really liked my stay at this hotel. The location is nice, and very peaceful. The restaurant is good. The owner Francine is so helpful and kind. The dog, Roxy, is so sweet. But the thing that won me over with this hotel is the shower. The pressure was amazing and it was always hot. This hotel is a great option in Udaipur.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My stay at Kumbha Palace was great! The location is perfect. The room was very basic but with everything I needed. However hot water was hard to find and the bathrooms were in need of a serious facelift. The restaurant is absolutely fantastic! I had 3 great dinners here - the food was fresh and super tasty and very cheap! They provide day tours etc. but I found the prices a bit high and it was cheaper to organize by yourself. The hotel owner organized a massage for me (I think the place was called "Body Shop") and it was the most fantastic massage ever! If you have time, definitely do it! Overall I would definitely recommend Kumbha Palace.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo