“cozy stay in udaipur” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #62 of 248 Udaipur B&B and Inns
Kathmandu
“cozy stay in udaipur”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Our cozy little room was very neat, clean and comfortable. It was one of the best value places we have stayed in. There is no fuss and the management is very smooth and efficient. There is also a free pickup from the train station. The rooftop offers a nice view of the city palace and the city, however the food is okay. The hotel is tucked away and yet is walking distance to the City palace and the other sights as well. This place offers a very pleasant ambiance.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

On first impressions, this is a lovely place. Clean, nicely decorated, with good rooftop restaurant and you can see the palace walls from the top. Saying that, we never received a warm welcome. The staff seemed to be grumpy and bored. The food was good but no service with a smile.
We were in room 205 (i think) and it was directly in front of reception (next to the computer room), this was noisy with the comings and goings at reception. This was annoying and disturbing to sleep early in the morning. To add to thia, we visited in late November during wedding and festival season, so the noise from partying and fireworks was constant making it difficult to sleep, this didn't help being located right behind the palace. It was a cheap room, good for budget travellers, but on hindsight we would have preferred to stay on the other side of the lake where it was quieter and more chill.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have stayed in Kumbha Palace six times now and each time I settled for at least four weeks. Recently I returned to Kumbha Palace with my family and everybody enjoyed the calmness of the place, the caring staff, the nice rooms, the lovely garden and last but not least, the delicious food that is served in the roof top restaurant. It is the most wonderful place we have ever had and all of us long for returning one day. In return for the low price you pay for the rooms, the staff offers you an invaluable ‘home sweet home’ in India.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We know that this is a budget option but here's why we disliked this place so much.

Most of it is copied and pasted from emails that passed bewteen us and the owner after we left in disgust. We had planned to stay several nights plus a further 2 nights at the ranch where my wife was to celebrate her birthday by going riding.

All the owner could say about our complaints was that the hotel is 'old' (by the way, that's not an excuse for filthy) and the dogs are 'not ours'. (another poor excuse).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. On our arrival at around 10.00PM the man on reception looked unclean, untidy and was not at all interested in our grumbles about the hard and lumpy mattress and the standard of cleaning.

4. 2 dogs kept us awake all night. At least one of them is caged and belongs to a neighbour. They are not wild dogs so something could be done.

3. There is little sound proofing between rooms. I did hear the lady next door break wind in the morning and I expect I kept her awake all night with my snoring.(my wife has tried many things to stop this!). We could also hear the dog walking in the rooftop restaurant the following morning before we left.

4. I know the hotel is old but that is not an excuse for poor cleaning. I wrote clean me on the outside of the bathroom door...perhaps it's still there.

5. The hotel may be old but the mattresses don't have to be old, lumpy and thin.

6. On our arrival my wife wanted towels but had to search the hotel to find any staff. They were too busy watching TV to answer the reception bell.

7. The reason we chose not to go to the ranch is that this hotel was a poor reflection of quality and gave us no confidence that we would get value for money.

8. We did ask on a number of occasions by email how much the horse riding was but we were not told. On arrival we read that 2.5hrs is 1200R's. We took a 1.5 day camel safari in Jaisalmer overnight for 1050R's including 3 meals.

9. The beer is far too expensive for a 'budget' guesthouse. 150R's plus 10% service charge. (service from some grubby individual who would look at home in the slums of Victorian London)

We paid 550R's for our one night at Kumbha P. (I refuse to call it a palace). If it had not been late we would have looked elsewhere immediately.

We found a room with balcony, with lake view, with lovely thick mattress, with hot water 24hrs and we cannot hear the lady next door making noises in the bathroom in the morning as we did in Kumbha P. Price 600R's/night at Hanuman Ghat near the footbridge

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
kumbhapalace, Manager at Hotel Kumbha Palace, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all my apologies for your disappointment in our hotel
I must say that in the 20 years I have been running my hotel I have never had these kind of comments, Our hotel has been visited by thousands of satisfied travelers who find our hotel clean, friendly and peaceful.

I also have to say that I have never had any customers shouting at me and not giving me any opportunity to do anything about their complaints. I sure would have talked with you, changed your room or upgraded your room but simply did not get the chance.

We do clean our rooms well, I am sorry our boys might have forgotten to wipe the bathroom door, but this can happen. I am going to check more often. The bathrooms are old, but definitely clean,

About the dogs: as I told you, these are not our dogs. We do have a very quiet sweet dog who sleeps with someone in a room and doesn’t bark in the night, If I get more complaints I will certainly talk to our neighbours,

Normally I would have given you the room on arrival, but I had to leave for an emergency that evening. Our cook, who does not speak much English, gave your room. He even told me the next morning that you night want to change the room. Our staff was not watching TV by the way, because there is no television in our hotel. It was late evening, the end of their working day, probably they were preparing to close the restaurant.

Matresses are being replaced at the moment. Some rooms have still old ones, most people don’t mind, As I mentioned before I would have happily changed your room if I would have had the chance.

About the price of horse-riding: All prices are stated clearly on our website, Never compare horses with camels. Horses are 10x more expensive(to buy and to keep) than camels. They need specialized guides, care and food, We are looking after our horses very very well. Our horse-safaris have become very popular and one of the main reasons for this is that our horses are very well cared for.

Francine Jain, manager
Yangshuo County, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is a nice hostel with a beautiful garden and a roof top restaurant. The dutch owner is very friendly and helpul, but she is the only one! The staff is just horrible! We avoided eating in the restaurant because the service was so terrible. It is a shame though, if the staff was friendlyer I would recommend this place.
We allways had a hot shower, but the internet didn't work when we were there.

Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Interesting location, well known to autorickshaw drivers, up a steep alley set back from the main road. Garden is at foot of Palace Walls. Excellent location for visiting temple and palace, yet set back enough to be relatively pieceful at night
We arrived un Udaipur on the sleper train from Delhi, and were delighted that we could book in immediately (at 8am)! Rooms are small- medium sized (we staid 203), with a wet-room style shower (typical for India). Small roll of toilet paper and soap is provided. Hot water is only available during the day, as it is solar heated. Very Eco Friendly. Clean, comfortable bed.

Restaurant terrace is amazing! definitely worth a visit for breakfast and dinner! Very cheap, home cooked food, both western and Indian (including beans on toast for < 100RS). Great freshly squeezed juice for only 50R. Great views over multi-coloured city.

Hotel staff are freindly. The owner is Dutch, and is often there in the morning. Answered all my questions, and gives good travel tips. When we were there all their horses were away at the Camel show, but they set us up with another company no problem. Very friendly and honest.

It is easy to walk around Udaipur, both the palace, temples and we even walked to the cable car (not worth taking: walk up even if you are not very fit. You have to climb 1/2 the mountain before getting in the car, and the temple at the top of the hills is very unimpressive!)

There are a lot of tourist stalls in Udaipur, selling very similar items particularly scalves, clothes, leather bags and goods, and hand painted minitures. Shop around for the best quality and price!

Definitely worth visiting. A great escape. The lake is beautiful

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Beverley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

For the price this is a brilliant place, it has a lovely garden and a rooftop restaurant with reasonable food. Francine can organise anything. We stayed for 5 nights. My only quibble is the staff look glum.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family