“Has potential”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My friend and I here came for dinner based on a recommendation from Lonely Planet, and we were a little disappointed. We sat outside on the second floor, and the atmosphere was pretty good (great view of the stars once it it dark, and we were the only ones there for a long time!) although there could have been a little more lighting. We got chai, which was standard, and for dinner I got eggplant ravioli and my friend got gnocchi. Both were decidedly average; we ended up switching at the end because we liked the other's dish better. We got fried bananas for dessert, which was the most tasty part of the meal. Overall, Savage Garden was decent, but I think there are probably a lot better places to eat, especially if you're only in Udaipur for a few days.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had Italian food a few times in India, needing a break from the spicy food we had been trying otherwise. By far, this was the best Italian food we had! The restaurant is clean, the service is good, the atmosphere and decor charming. It can be a little hard to find, so if you get lost, just ask a local on the street.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My Partner and I really enjoyed our dinner of non Indian and non spicy Mediterranean food, but finding the restaurant was not easy and at night a little creepy location... but worth the effort.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

It was easy to find this restaurant which was near the footbridge. There were signs everywhere pointing the hungry wanderer in the right direction. The restaurant has a quiet and relaxing atmosphere. We ordered the bruschetta, a fish dish (forgot the name but I have posted a picture of it here) and spinach ravioli. The bruschetta was very good...crunchy and fresh. The fish was tasty. But the spinach ravioli could have used more flavor. Overall, a wonderful respite from the hustle and bustle of Udaipur with good food.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Visited Savage Garden after reading several reviews on Tripadvisor. The place is off the main thoroughfare, down a lane close to Gangaur Ghat. But everyone knows of the place, so directions are easy to get. We are greeted warmly by the German proprietor, who is very helpful in offering suggestions from the slightly sparse menu. We make our choices, and wait - but not for very long - for our food to arrive. The only irritant is the somewhat persistent presence of flies on this winter afternoon. The food arrives and our group of seven has contrasting responses. The vegetarian pasta is very good as is the special Awadhi chicken that has come highly recommended. The rest of the food is good, without being spectacular. Sadly, Savage Garden does not serve alcohol (not even beer or wine) and the proprietor explains this is because of the prohibitive cost of a liquor licence. This is a pity; one would expect a tourist-friendly state like Rajasthan to be more accommodating. Overall, this has been a good experience, and I will definitely visit this place if I am in Udaipur again.

1  Thank editorindisguise