“Best tented resort in India!!”

The Oberoi Vanyavilas
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Sawai Madhopur
delhi
“Best tented resort in India!!”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Our stay in the Oberoi Vanyavilas rounded out to "50" the number of safari lodges
we have stayed in around the world most of course being in Southern Africa and Kenya.. Needless to say ,"wildlife is our passion"and being able to enjoy Ranthambhore National Reserve while staying in a luxurious tented camp just help make the experience all the better. Our guide into Ranthambhore was "Yadvendra Singh" one of the best we have had in all our safari travels bar none. Three tigers...three sloth bears!
The staff was excellent, the food was excellent, the grounds were lovely. Only thing
missing was a candle or very small light on the round table outside the tent for our evening sundowner before we went up for the 7pm wildlife naturalist talk.
The hotel/lodge is well worth the expensive to make a trip to the jungles of India
very special.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank africanbush
Oberoi_Vanyavilas, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

I write to thank-you for staying with us and for taking the time out to share your experience with others.

We have made a note of your suggestion and shall take necessary measures as it is constructive feedback directing us towards improvement.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed your time with Yadvendra and shall share your feedback with him. I am certain it will motivate him to give his best each time he goes in to the park. We hope that your wildlife experience here will bring you back soon.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed here for one night. We can't normally afford hotels like this, but one night a year we splurge and stay in a ridiculously expensive place as a treat. This is our third Oberoi. The service is typical Oberoi excellent, and the rooms (tents) are very nice. The restaurant staff were excellent, and made a special request dish for me, even though it wasn't on the menu that night. We also went to the spa, which was a great experience as always. The staff helped us to arrange alternate transportation back to Delhi when our train was canceled. The only problem we had was there was some noise, presumably coming from the main road, at night which caused us some problems sleeping.

I gave it average for the Value score, because it's super-luxurious, but also super-expensive. I'd expect to get such a place for the price we paid.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JeffCad
Oberoi_Vanyavilas, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed your short stay with us and that our team was able to add to your experience in small but meaningful manner. I shall also share your feedback with specific departments that you have highlighted so that it can motivate them further.

I regret any inconvinience that may have been caused to you due to unusually high traffic near the resort due to the cancellations of trains.

We hope that you can come back and stay with us sometime later this year espcially during the summer months when we intend to bring some great offers for our guests. I am sure that you will also have better luck in spotting of animals and the elusive tiger that you did have limited success with in your many jungle sojourns.

Thank you once again for considering Oberoi Hotels and Resorts for your stays.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2011

This hotel sets the standards for service that all hotels worldwide could learn from!
We stayed here in November for what was one of the most magnificent of stays. You really are made to feel special, by every member of staff from the chamber maids to the manager himself.
The tents are nothing short of breathtaking filled with luxury and charm.
The food is superb and Deep, the head chef, will pull out all the stops to cater for everyone of his guests.
We arrived in what should have been the dry season, to be confronted by unseasonal rains, which put pay to one of our prebooked safaris. Naturally we were disappointed by this, however Vanyavilas ensured that all of it's guests were thoroughly entertained, despite the disappointments, with demonstrations of Indian cooking, Palm readers, nature talks, videos...........Just about everything you could care to wish for.
We had booked in advance to do our safari in the Gypsy jeeps. If you are going here for the safari this is a must. Other couples we met up with had chosen to go on the 20 seat canters, spending most of their safari time picking up guests from other hotels, be warned!
Now the disappointment. All of the safaris are government run and not by Oberoi. There are only something like 30 tigers in this park. We were told that due to the rain most of the animals went into hiding. I think during the three safaris we went on we saw at best about 10 deer, 5 peacocks and a sloth bear.
What is more frustrating is the fact that you can hear over the radios, reports of other people seeing everything in different zones.
The Indian government operate a policy whereby each jeep can only go into 1 zone per safari, quite rightfully to prevent over crowding of the animals, but this is incredibly frustrating when you are sat in a jeep for three hours with nothing to see.
The guides seemed to do little to check on the location of the tigers before entering the zones and nothing in the way of tracking any animal once in the park. Leaving it all more to chance than anything else. Our guide did not enthuse us about anything that we did see and left us to do most of the wildlife spotting ourselves.
None of this however is Oberoi's fault as this is government run, but when this is very much a symbiotic relationship, perhaps Oberoi may want to lean on the goverment to invest in quality trackers and guides?
Vanyavilas is absolutely superb and we were delighted to have stayed here, naturally we were disappointed not to have seen a tiger, but there's always the next time!

1 Thank foramandmatt
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to discuss your feedback.

It is always important to know the guest perspective of things. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and as mentioned to you, will take up your feedback with your guide. I agree with you that there is much more in the park including beautiful landscape, birds and other animals and tiger should not be the only area of focus.

We look forward to having you back, maybe during the warmer period when the likelihood of inclement weather is even lesser and the tiger sightings go up a great deal.

Once again thank-you for your time and willingness to share your experience with us.

California
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Having specified "only Oberoi hotels" to the travel agent who planned our trip(due to past positive experiences), I knew that I would love the hotel, but I did have a bit of trepidation as it was a "game lodge" and it didn't sound as appealing to me. What a misconception I had! I'm glad that we stayed for three nights and I wish that we had stayed a week.

I've done a lot of traveling and this stay was one of the best experiences of my life! It's been said before, but the staff are all just outstanding. I had lovely conversations with many of them and they were all so helpful and kind....in every area....reception and managerial, food services and housekeeping. When they say Namaste, they really mean it....It's not a token greeting....and I think that spirit kind of overflows into the running of the hotel.

The tent was amazing with every amenity one could want. I loved having a patio on each end of the tent so that I could follow the shade when I wanted. I also spent a great deal of time at the pool, where the views of lily ponds and beautiful flowers were stunning, the water was warm , the umbrellas colorful providing shade and cold drinks, cool towels, suntan lotion and fruit brought without request.

I also loved the "pillow menu" (standard at all Oberoi's I believe) and lying in bed at night listening to the animal noises and looking at the tiny silver stars painted tastefully into the muted pattern on the tent ceiling.

I have to note that the food was fabulous, but I had trouble focusing on it because of the amazing primitive/naif artwork covering the walls in the dining room. Two entire walls of individual pictures were featured and I took a picture of every single one. Note...In Udaipur the same artist has painted an entire circular room with similar theme in the Oberoi.

My husband went on two jeep safaris a day and loved every minute. I went on one and, as I knew already, I'm just not a wilderness person. However, the guides were great and the animals beautiful.

I can see why this hotel was voted (I believe) best in Asia and best in the world.

Yes, it's expensive, but if you're going to India do yourself a favor and treat yourself...so worth it!

One more thing.....if you want to shop, there's a lovely women's coop nearly right outside the gates of the hotel. There are lovely, quality goods inside and I sat with the women to see what they were doing and ended up buying a beautiful restored bedcover made from old saris. It helps the locals and you get no pressure buying.

Enjoy!

2 Thank murphysmum
Oberoi_Vanyavilas, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this review, December 31, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to share the feedback on your recent stay with us.
It is heartning to know that our team which is our biggest strength was able to make your stay special and memorable.
Our kitchen team is delighted to know that you enjoyed the cuisine at the resort.
We look forward to having you back as our guest at the resort and with our other hotels around the world.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Want to enjoy a break from your routine and do something special - head for Vanyavilas, This unique property truly pampers you with the exotic luxury of its tent, great hospitality of its staff and the exclusive locale on the boundary of the Tiger Reserve made famous by Prince Charles and Rajiv Gandhi. The morning and afternoon ride in the jungle makes you fall in love with nature and converts you to shed your complacence of taking the enviornment for granted. Ofcourse, sighting the TIGER in all its glory in the jungle will etch this experience for ever in your HEART.......go for it and splurge as this exotic trip does come with a price tag.

2 Thank Aazmaa
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Give honor to whom deserves it. Normally at very good hotels perhaps you
get one or two very good persons who makes your stay special, what is
amazing about this hotel is that everybody, and I mean everybody
tries to make your stay as special as possible, my congratulations
to the staff and specially the GM, it's not easy feat to achieve this

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Vanyavilas, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that we could make your holiday a memorable one. Thank you for appreciating our team and their efforts. Guest’s delight is always our top priority and we were glad to know that we have been able to deliver on your expectations.
Your feedback has further motivated the team in providing sincere and warm services. Thank you for sparing out time for this review. We look forward to welcome you back.

Kind Regards
delhi india
Reviewed October 21, 2010

wow! we were there for 2 nights 6 adults and a 10 year old.really luxurious tents but the best part as in all oberoi properties is their service.service was outstanding.The gm is doing a great job.very friendly and helpful.another who stood out was the head chef Mr tej.he and the GM of the hotel really went out of their way to make sure we had a great holiday!they even sent us within the next two days c ouple of things my daughter left behind The spa was also excellent.truly a fantastic hotel!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Oberoi_Vanyavilas, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that our team has been able to make your stay a memorable one. I am sure they will be thrilled to receive your compliments. It is very motivating for all of us when our guests appreciate our efforts. Thank you for taking out time for this feedback. We look forward to having you back as our guests and I am certain that you will also recommend us to your friends and family members.