“Dream Hotel”

The Oberoi Vanyavilas
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Sawai Madhopur
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Honestly, I don't know where to start when it comes to reviewing the Oberoi Vanyavilas hotel in Sawai Madhopur, India (next to Ranthambore National Park). I have now stayed at three different Oberoi hotels in India and without hesitation these are the nicest and most well run hotels in the world. The lengths that they go to to ensure that their guests are comfortable and happy is above and beyond anything I have ever experienced. The best way I can put it is that if you want to treat yourself in life, stay at an Oberoi, specifically Vanyavilas. Ratna (the general manager) is superb and her team made us feel as though we were guests in their personal home. The hotel itself is so luxurious you feel as though you are living in a dream. We stayed for 5 nights and I practically had to be dragged away on our departure. The location to the entrance of the Ranthambore national park was very close and we were lucky enough to see tigers every day on our jungle drive. As a side note, May was definitely a great time to visit these tigers as the warm weather leads them to water holes more ofter. Zone 2 was our lucky zone while we were there and were able to spot many tigers including a mom and her older cub and male tiger. Photographing tigers in the wild is also by far the most memorable wildlife experience I have had and that tops safaris throughout Africa and Asia. I definitely recommend the "gypsy" jeeps (6 seaters) over the canters but it is true that the zone matters more than the vehicle. Also, remember to tip your driver and naturalist (approx. 200 rupees for each is recommended) as they work very hard to keep their passengers happy!

Back to Vanyavilas - the tents are SO glorious and each one is private and secluded on the property. As these are tents you will hear the sounds of the "jungle" around you but the hotel is kind enough to supply earplugs in case you are a light sleeper :) I actually loved the sounds of the animals and environment and was never bothered while trying to sleep. Each night we would return to little surprised left by the house keeping staff. Furthermore, Ratna and her team were eager to arrange wonderful activities throughout our stay including an elephant bath (do NOT miss!), cooking class with the head and sous chef, private yoga lessons, private dinners in the gardens, and the list goes on and on. The food at the hotel is amazing and as Sawai Madhopur is a very small city, we had every meal at the hotel but they change their menus daily with all organic and local ingredients and we never grew tired of the food. Every member of the staff is SO friendly and thoughtful and do more for their guests than any hotel I have stayed at. One thing that really sets the Oberoi hotels apart is that it doesn't matter if you are in the most affordable or most expensive room, they treat everyone with the same respect and friendliness that you deserve.

I have no personal ties to Oberoi corporation/hotels and write this review with utmost sincerity and honesty based on the WONDERFUL stays we have had at these hotels. If you go to India, you MUST stay at these hotels as your view of hotel accommodations will forever be changed. U.S. hotels could learn so much from an Oberoi and you will not be disappointed when you choose to stay at one. India is such a beautiful country and the Oberois are the finest hotels you will ever stay at, I PROMISE!!!

Room Tip: We were in tent 101 which was close to the lobby and a short walk which was definitely welcomed duri...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kirby R
VanyavilasOberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very beautiful and detailed review on the Trip Advisor.

A stay in a luxury tent at The Oberoi Vanyavilas is definitely unique - it brings you close to the nature without compromising on luxury and comfort. Relaxing ambiance paired with personalized yet unobtrusive service is what we have always aimed to offer to all our guests.

We are very happy to know that our facilities, activities and services met your expectations and made your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you for your very kind comments for the team. I have personally conveyed your compliments to the team, and they are extremely delighted to hear that their efforts have been so well appreciated. Please do let us know in case you would need any recipes, my Chef would be delighted to send it to you.

Hope you are carrying on the Yoga. My Team really enjoyed organizing the activities and being part of them with you.

We are really delighted that you were able to see the tiger too and look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits and assure you the best of the Oberoi hospitality forever.

Best regards

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We recently stayed for three nights..we have visited many Oberoi hotels worldwide and are
Repeat visitors to Oberoi properties..this property Is visually stunning and the gardens are
Seriously magnificent..The tents are luxurious,fabulous full bathrooms and the housekeeping
Staff just wonderful..gorgeous pillows bed linen and lovely treats left everyday..
The spa is also excellent ,spotless professional and so inexspensive for the treatments..
We also found the staff in the dining room helpful professional and lots of fun..
So that's the positive..The food however needs work.we found it very hit and miss..and compared to udavillas and Jaipur properties there is no comparison..I feel reviews should be honest..just being honest readers..and yes I know ingredients and access change menus..
We saw magnificent tigers and the game drives professional informative the park is so beautiful
And well worth a visit..be prepared to be patient for tigers..they are elusive and we had taken four
Drives before we saw the tigers..so lucky so grateful to the guide..
To anyone that loves gardens this is the hotel for you..you can take a guided tour of the garden
And come away inspired ..and of course the tigers.
I would return because the housekeeping spa and dining employees are fabulous..I found the front
Desk staff aloof and at times unhelpful.

Room Tip: All the tents are lovely each unique due to the enormous grounds..but the tents with proximity To s...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank frantrav
VanyavilasOberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your detailed review on the Trip Advisor.

A stay in a luxury tent at The Oberoi Vanyavilas is definitely unique - it brings you close to the nature without compromising on luxury and comfort. I am glad to know that our facilities, activities and services met your expectations and made your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

I have personally shared your feedback with our team of Chefs and the Front desk team. Please accept our very sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations and we will definitely work towards improving our food and front desk services.

However, I am really glad that our Spa, Restaurant and Housekeeping teams will make you visit us again!

All of us look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Wow - and what a tent! This is like no tent you will ever have stayed in, marble bath, four poster bed, day beds, private garden etc etc. This is an absolutely out of world experience. The grounds are magnificent and reflect the passion and enthusiasm of Manoj, the Head Horticulturist, who's wealth of knowledge was second to none and who's pleasure it was to escort us around his domain. Many thanks to Ratna, the wonderful Manageress, who showed such passion for her resort, personal attention to her guests and shone as a beacon in an otherwise very male dominated position. Everyone goes to Ranthambhore for the tigers, which we saw, but to complete your wildlife adventure spend some time here walking the grounds and soaking up all Vanyavillas has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jaki007

Thank you so much for your beautiful review on the Trip Advisor.

I have personally conveyed your wonderful words of appreciation to Manoj. Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration and encourage us to achieve even higher standards.

My team and I eagerly look forward to welcoming you back soon again for another memorable experience.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

in the midst of thick foilage, flowers, one finds the luxury oaisis, the Oberois Vanyavilas.
amasing property, true Oberoi style. The staff were very informatic about their resort and the tents were really comfortable.one can have their meal in the dining hall or under the mango trees in thje open where one gets to see the beauti,ful birds the peacocks dancing.
very good food and beverage department.
the property has been maintained very well.
keep it up

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your beautiful review on the Trip Advisor.

We are very happy to learn that your visit to our property was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you, met your expectations.

We thank you for your positive feedback about our team (especially food and beverage), services and the hotel. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration and encourage us to achieve even higher standards.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon again

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Thanks a lot Team Vanyavilas for hosting us for past few days. For my family this has resulted in lasting memories and a re-affirmation of the excellent service brand Oberoi is !!!

Dear Ratna, Manjari specially wanted to thank you for the wonderful experience she had. And Nandini has promptly re-named two of her toy elephants as Mala and Lakshmi. Also introduced a small Sheru (with a rajasthani Pagri) in our home jungle collection.

We would surely love to be back sometime soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gaurav S
VanyavilasOberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your beautiful review on the Trip Advisor.

I am so glad that Manjari and Nandini also enjoyed their stay with us. I have loved the name “Sheru” they have given to the our little tiger friend and we shall too now have him addressed by the same name.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of you and your families’ continued visits and assure you the best of the Oberoi hospitality.

Best regards

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed here while visiting the tigers nearby, and had fabulous sightings. Lovely accommodations in an intimate setting, delicious food, and extremely attentive staff. Highly recommended and would go back in a heartbeat. Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your beautiful review on the Trip Advisor.

We are happy to learn that your visit to our property was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you, met your expectations.

We thank you for your positive feedback about the hotel. Your generous indication of our performance will be a source of inspiration to our staff and encourage us to achieve even higher standards. We are indeed delighted that you did have good tiger sightings as well.

My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon again

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Incredible hotel. Some of the best staff imagineable.

The rooms were so beautiful and luxurious. The food and wine was excellent.

Its a fantastic hotel, I would go back in a flash if I could. Really lovely hotel with world class staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
VanyavilasOberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Vanyavilas, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your beautiful review on the Trip Advisor.

Relaxing ambiance paired with personalized yet unobtrusive service is what we always aim to offer to all our guests.

Thank you for your kind comments about my team. I have personally conveyed your compliments to my team and they are extremely delighted to hear that their efforts have been so well appreciated.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon again.