“Talented Women”
Review of Dhonk

Dhonk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Unique stop for Ranthambhore visitors who are looking for interacting with local people who are doing craft work in the beautiful workshop facility. Dhonk is a social startup which aims at providing sustainable jobs to the ex-poachers families and village folks by giving them training in crafts and selling their produce at our fair trade store/ workshop situated at the fateh villa campus.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stopped at Dhonk as part of our tour. We met the woman that started this cooperative. She was very interesting and very pleasant. The women were very talented and it is a great place to pick up hand made items. Many of the woman there had their children along side them, and children helping children. It really was an inspiring stop. My group found many things to buy.

All reviews
"tour group"
"local village"
"ranthambore tiger"

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Very impressive work done here by theical women. Supports their livelihood and keeps the tigers safe. Educative and pro active.
Great shopping too!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

While on my trip in India, our tour group stopped at Dhonk. I was looking specifically for hand-made clothing items. I found several beautifully made shirt and skirts there. Not only that, but Dhonk actually tailors the shirts to your liking as you shop. I bought five shirts and one skirt. Four of the five shirts and the skirt needed to be tailored. It took just over half an hour for all of my things to be tailored. Fantastic! There clothing is durable and the styles are flattering and beautiful. What topped off the experience was the fact that the ladies who made the clothes are right there to help you. It was a wonderful experience and I got some great souvenirs to remember it. I highly recommend visiting Dhonk for a great buying experience with a personal touch.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a very inspiring place & wish it becomes more popular. The volunteer spent time with us explaining the purpose of the organisation: rehabilitation of the residents of tiger reserve area. These were mostly tiger poachers who have now been made aware of the tiger reserve & given alternate means of dwelling.
While the cause is noble, the handicrafts made by the villagers are ethnic & worth the money. The quality of shirts/dresses/linen was very good. The block printing on the cloth is all by hand...no machines used. We spent time on the site & observed volunteers work on the garments, handicrafts, furniture, etc.

Wish their handicrafts are available on the net.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Shopping at Dhonk- for me, was a rustically beautiful experience! Right from the time you enter until the time you leave, a lingering aroma of earth & fabric entices you. As I went across the store touching and feeling the products, I was floored by the sheer authenticity of the skillfully crafted stuff - be it the clothes, the quilts, the table runners, useful miscellaneous curios, - I loved the cloth water bottle covers available here in various colors - all this at reasonable prices.
What makes this place even more special is that it is an initiative at conserving the forest, its natural resources & the wildlife by employing local tribesmen and women to make all of the goods(and you can see them right there, at work) By doing this, the threat to the already depleting forest resources and the endangered wildlife is significantly mitigated as it provides income and livelihood to the local people who would otherwise be allured to exploit the bordering national park. A great enterprise for a great cause, I'd say! As a wildlife conservationist myself, I was very inspired.
Of course you have the option of shopping at "cooler" or more "touristy" stores- But I've visited a few of those and felt their goods were almost counterfeit, not really usable or even worth my time as most of it is easily available in cities such as Delhi, or in smaller towns and are as expensive.
Dhonk gave me the satisfaction of having picked up authentic stuff, crafted attractively yet reliable enough to be put to use. And there's nothing to match the feeling of having saved the Tigers while having had a great shopping experience !

1  Thank alwaysahippie