Ranthambore National Park
and up
2-Day Ranthambore National Park Tour From Jaipur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This wildlife sanctuary is famous for its population of tigers, a 1000-year-old fort and a rich diversity of flora and fauna.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We loved everything about it - the wildlife and scenery were spectacular and the guides were very knowledgeable.

2  Thank SheenaJenningsDash
Write a ReviewReviews (3,956)
All reviews
in 65 reviews
"flora and fauna"
in 63 reviews

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Morning drive in a Canter in zone 1 was very average. No Tiger and not much else to see since a small zone without much water.
Afternoon drive was a different story. Zone 4 is big, with lots of water and seeing a Tiger made it great. Allegedly it was Machali, made famous by the BBC documentaries. And there was plenty of other wildlife too. The standards plus mongoose and crocodile and plenty of birds.
We wanted to take a jeep safari, but we're glad we ended up on a canter.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was travelling around india and this was the third national park I visited. The management of this park is dismal. This was the first time that I have ever felt totally "ripped off" and this was despite having a great encouter with a tiger. I have visited close to 20 national parks across 7 countries and never felt like this before.

The park is devided in to 9 zones. The only zones worthwhile visiting are 2-5 (I suspect zone 1 may also be ok). Although it is possible to see tiger in any of the zones, just as one is likely to see one cross the main road! I believe zones 7-9 are really still under "development" i.e. getting rid of the villages and setting up water-holes to attract animals.

I had booked 4 safaris and paid a fair amount for an exclusive Gypsy as I am a keen wild life photographer.

I was allocated zone 6 for the first safari. Most of this zone is hard rocks until you arrive at the river. However this is the very end of the zone and you are lucky to see some deer around that area. It was the shortest safari I've ever done and we had a rest break of 15 minutes on a safari that was not even 2 hours.

After that experience I thought things could only get better. But no, I was assigned zone 8 for the second safari. This one was a even shorter zone and one spent most of the time driving through village avoiding goats, sheep and buffalo. I paid INR 400/- extra for taking in a video but didn't need to take a camera or video cam out of the bag - we saw absolutely nothing!

After those two experiences I advised my travel agent that unless I was assigned zones 2- 5. I wasn't going to waste my time, even though I forfeited my money. I was obviously assigned one of the horror zones again, as they didn't turn up to pick me up at the usual time in the morning. However around 7:00pm they sent a vehicle to pick me up and I was put on another jeep with another guest (forget the exclusive safari!) and sent to zone 2 - they had obviously managed to negotiate something due to a cancellation. Zone 2 is a beautiful jungle and is worth the travel - we did have a great tiger encounter too.

On the fourth safari, we were once again assigned zone 6. So, we decided not to waste our time. Instead we toured the fort - which was quite interesting.

My tips -

1. If you are a wild life enthusiast, avoid this park unless you are a celebrity, politician or know how to handle the corrupt buracracy. Otherwise invest your money in going to less commercial parks such as Bandhavgarh. If you are not and simply want to squeeze in a "jungle" experience with some chance of spotting a tiger, during your golden triangle tour - then go for it.

2. Spend as little as possible and get on a canter. It appears that the canters get the premium zones. Which is probably fair, since they carry more passengers. So your best chance to see a tiger is on a canter. However, it would be nice if that is well communicated. Exclusive Gypsies - give it a miss.

Unlike in some of the other parks where there are clearly better zones, the prices are identicle for all zones. There is so much demand for this park that the management do not need to be customer oriented (the other parks I visited were a lot more customer focussed). Most of their clientele would not know the difference anyway as they are tourists squeezing in a jungle safari.

This is one of the smallest parks with the largest number of zones. I was not surprised to read some of the other reviews about the drivers having a nap mid safari - they just have no where to go. In Kanha, the morning safari is almost 5 hours, and there is plenty of places to go.

I pity the poor guides who keep trying to convince you that there are animals in the other zones. They are customer facing, the buracrats are not.

So, my advice to wild life enthusiast is to avoid this park, like the plague! A great asset, poorly managed.

2  Thank CockeyedObserver
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We went to Zone 1 and were told of 60% chance to spot the tiger. We were really lucky that a tiger named Sultan came very close (5mts) to our canter. That was the most thrilling experience. Other than that we didn't spot anything else. The roads are really really bad and we were in the back seats of the our 20 seater vehicle. We booked online in much advance but the Gypsy (personal Jeep) were sold out. I felt there is a cartel running this safari and if you can pay more than you might be able to get a Gypsy. When we spotted the tiger the Gypsy driver could really drive close to the tiger and come back. It was scary but very thrilling. Try to book in a good hotel which can arrange the safari otherwise you would have to go to the forest office to get the allotment of your canter and make the payment.

3  Thank Ranjan M