“Had a Great Time Despite the Wear & Tear”

The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angel Fire
Texas
“Had a Great Time Despite the Wear & Tear”
Reviewed February 27, 2007

We just spent an extended weekend at AF Resort and had a very enjoyable time. The 2 Queen room was quite large and roomy, the beds were comfortably soft and cozy, plenty of hot water and free coffee. We got the dreaded room "next to the elevator" and I was at first upset, however the rooms are very well sound insulated and we didn't hear a thing. They also have a small entrance foyer for each 2 rooms, which kept the hall noise out. Yes the rooms are showing some wear & tear, especially the carpet. However, overall the place was clean and tidy.

We had a package deal thru the resort, which included lift tickets, and everything was in place and went smoothly. The staff was very courteous and when we had a problem with the TV, the maintenance guy was there almost before I could hang up the phone.

We really enjoyed the proximity to the ski slopes, which the resort had managed to keep in excellent shape. It is a bit of a hike up several flights of stairs which will leave flatlanders like us huffin' & puffin', but it still beats having to load up your car, drive to the slope, put on your gear and still have to hike up to the slope!

We didn't eat at the resort, there were some excellent eateries nearby and we like to get out a little. We recommend the Roasted Clove (excellent but very expensive), Zebadiah's Grill and Talon's Italian.

Last but not least the skiing was fantastic. We generally ski in CO, and I was a little worried that this place would be too small, but I was impressed in the layout and the snow conditions. I would definitely return.

• Liked — Location, Quiet Room, Free WIFI in Lobby, Free Coffee in Room, Comfy Beds
  • Disliked — Stained Carpet, Room Very Dark, Parking Tight
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank jaymac1500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Houston, TX
Reviewed February 18, 2007

My family and I just returned from Angel Fire, New Mexico. While the slopes were nice, it was overpriced and crowded. The workers at the resort were, for the most part, unhelpful. We booked a room in the hotel. When we arrived, we were told that we were in the condos, instead. The resort has nobody to help with baggage, so we had to walk about 1/4 a mile with our bags and ski gear. When we walked into the condo, I was astounded. The carpet was pulling apart at the seams. There was no hair dryer. The bed looked like it was over 20 years old with large sagging spots. The sheets were as scratchy as the cheap tissues provided. My daughter, who was adopted from a very poor part of Russia exclaimed, "The hotels in Russia are nicer than this one!" At $270 per night, I expected at least the quality I might find at a motel 6. I was disappointed. The food was terrible and overpriced, and there was nothing to do in the town even if we'd had transportation. There are only two lifts, and we waited almost 30 minutes every time we got back to the lift. The snow was nice, but it was not worth the price and hassle. We will not return to Angel Fire, NM.

4 Thank LGLVXN
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2007

Wife and I just finshed a week skiing at Angel Fire, NM. Best mountain we have ever skied. Stayed at the Angel Fire resort hotel. We found it to be quite nice; not extravagant, but nice. Room was large for a hotel room. Two queen size beds, a sitting area, refrig, large vanity area in bathroom, separate bathing area (shower and tub) with additional sink and vanity. Housekeeping kept room clean and well stocked with clean towels each day and maintenance was very responsive (minor drainage problem with tub). All hired help were cordial and friendly. Food at lift eatery not the best, but about average in quality and price for most ski resorts we have visited over the years. Lift tickets a little pricy, but they have the best quad lifts (chairs slow down at loading and exit stations). Makes it easier (and safer) for oldies like my wife and I to get on and off (we're mid to late 60's). All runs were wide and well groomed. Real skiing pleasure! Only thing I found strange was that the resort bills your credit card for the full amount of your proposed stay when you make reservations. Never had seen that before. All in all, a great place. We'll go back.

3 Thank ArmyColonel
Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2007

We stayed at Angel Fire Resort this past weekend. After reading some bad reviews, I was a little nervous about coming here, but my wife, son and I got checked in and quickly up to our room. We had a standard room, but it was very big, clean and had good beds and a large TV. The ski area was right out the back door, but there are a lot of steps to climb up to the slope (you may want to wear street shoes until you get there and rent a locker). I was very happy with the room and the price we paid for a hotel right next to the lift.

Food service was not very good at Angel Fire Resort. There is no restaurant open in the hotel during lunch and dinner. That's okay for skiers, but not that great for non-skiers in the family. There is a bar called the Lazy Lizard that served appetizers in the evening, but the food was really terrible and expensive. The help at this hotel was from Colombia and other places in Latin America, and while they were certainly nice and friendly, they also did not know what they were doing. They seemed to rotate jobs, which was probably fun for them but not so good for good customer service. The waitress in the bar was working the chairlifts the next day!

We had breakfast (a la carte) in the Branding Iron, and it was pretty good, but I had to speak Spanish to finally make myself understood. Again, nice kids, but they were not trained to be servers.

There was a small pool, a hot tub and a game room. This was a family resort, so there were a lot of kids running around. This is a good place for a family to come and have fun. The hotel has good wheelchair accessibility, but the access to the slopes is not accessible.

I would recommend this hotel, but plan to eat lunch and dinner on the slopes or in town.

• Liked — beds, TV, location
  • Disliked — food service
  • Tips/Secrets — plan to eat elsewhere
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank bktx1
Lake Dallas
Reviewed February 3, 2006

My family of 5 adults and 2 children just returned from a trip to Angel Fire. We stayed in a nice 2 bedroom condo close to the ski area that was reserved through the Angel Fire Resort. The only complaint I have about the condo is the hot tub on the patio had no water in it, so we were unable to use it.
The area is hurting for snow, but surprisingly the skiing was very good. There were no lines for the lifts so no waiting. We all enjoyed the Tubing Hill. That was a blast!
The Ski School was a hit with my 5-year old grandson. It was fun and he proceeded to outski the entire family.
There is absolutely no night life in Angel Fire, but we did eat at two good restaurants, The Pizza Stop and The Lazy Lizzard.
This is a small area, but was affordable and geared to families.

• Stayed January 2006
13 Thank mkroper
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 27, 2005

We just returned from our first trip to Angel Fire Resort.The resort appears old.We booked a condo through the resort.The condo was filthy.The blankets on the bed were not clean.They had other individuals private hair on them. The blinds and ceiling fans were covered with dust.The carpet was dirty & stained. The furniture was gross.The bathrooms were not clean either.Kitchen utensils not clean.I had to wash a dirty coffee pot-the filter had not been washed. Each room has its own heater-when we turned them on you could smell the dust burning off the heater coils. The furniture was old and dirty. We paid $400+ a night for a 3 bdrm condo but received a 2bdrm loft. Reservations never informed us a 2bdrm loft counted as a 3 bdrm. We could not use the loft because we have young children and did not feel it was safe to leave them in the loft at night. Therefore, we paid for a room we did not want. Ski rental staff is slow but nice - allow plenty of time before lessons to get ski boots and skis. The only positive was the ski instructors (private lessons) they were great! We were there over Christmas with small children otherwise we would have left. We did leave a day early b/c we could not continue to sleep in such filth! Also, there seems to be a complete disconnect and lack of coordination between different departments. For example, the front desk makes room and condo assignments but reservations refuses completely to discuss assignment to any particular condominium.

• Stayed December 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Coppell, Texas
Reviewed December 26, 2005

We stayed at the Angel Fire Resort Hotel for two nights, Dec. 21-23, 2005. I was very pleased with the accomodations. The room was very large, clean and well-appointed. It had a refrigerator and coffee maker, vanity outside of the bathroom and an electric faux-fireplace. Everything was in good working order. The lobby and front desk staff were nice enough. The location is outstanding for skiers. You simply step out the back door of the hotel and you're at the lifts. Perfect. Here are a couple of complaints. The restaurant is poorly managed. The waitstaff were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. They didn't seem to have any particular assigned tables, so some tables went without service for quite some time. Also, one day it's a buffet and the next it's not. Hmm. Next, the pool and hot tub hours are not convenient, 10a - 10p. The lifts open at 9a, so you pretty much have no shot at the hot tub in the morning and I see no reason to close the area at 10p. There are some rooms that open to the atrium were the pool and HT are, but I really don't see that anyone would be disturbed by those using the pool and HT. I'd like to see it changed to 7a - midnight. Something else to consider is the cancellation policy at AF Resort. Cancel within 30 days, lose one night's deposit, cancel within 14 days, forfeit 100%. I would consider this location again, but only in January or February. There simply isn't enough snow in December at AF. Only two runs were open.

• Stayed December 2005
#5 of 8 in Red River
El Monte Sagrado
El Monte Sagrado
#3 of 15 in Taos

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!