“Wow, I was Surprised”

The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angel Fire
Reviewed February 4, 2010

I came back to Angel Fire for the first time in years, since I was in college. I'm blown away by the changes since the last time I was there. Used to be a sleepy little town with a fun mountain and no nightlife. Now it's got a fancy steakhouse, a wine bar with martini specials, night skiing and the hotel has been renovated. The mountain is still as fun as I remember. Could still use more hot tubs and a bigger pool, but I understand the new country club will have that when it opens in Summer. Someone is doing the right things there. I'll be back for golf.

1  Thank Reddirtmusicfan

Reviewed February 3, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a most wonderful get away to Angel Fire Resort in New Mexico. We were not aware when we booked our trip, in September, that we would have the pleasure of attending one of their annual events, the Powder Keg Winter Festival. What a great surprise, we were expecting a relaxing ski vacation and ended up dancing every night to some fantastic music in multipal locations. The food was great at all locations and their signature restaurant was as good as it gets. They have a wine/martini bar that could have been located in any metropolitan city in the world. Good job keep it up and what a value.

Reviewed January 23, 2010

Not worth the money! Guest services are too lazy to write down directions, bathroom / room were in poor conditions, just not on par with what other resorts are offering for the same price. Parking was terrible w/no preference to paying customers over weekend skiers. I'd come back to ski this mountain and eat at some of the local restaurants - but I'd never waist my money to stay at this place again.
Worse staff seen to date!

1  Thank Benomatic
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We stayed in a two room suite (one studio with kitchen, one bedroom, two baths) over a long weekend. These beds were the most uncomfortable I had ever tried to sleep on and one was broken and hung down from the middle so that your feet were several inches lower than your head. Someone put a "Beware of bedbugs" notice under our door the first night. The carpets were very, very dirty and stained and I didn't want my grandchildren walking barefoot on them. They gave us one very small bar of soap (facial size) for the entire 3 nights and when we asked for more, they said they were out of soap!! The only maid service was fresh towels and they did give us all we needed. This is the only hotel on the mountain and they tend to act like they don't care how they treat you. When we checked out, they tried to bill us $50.00 more than the reservation on line price. Beware of this resort!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2010

This was our 2nd time to Angel Fire Resort, we heard stories, some good, some bad. This resort has spent a lot of money on updating. The old buffet from last year is now a very hot wine bar. If your there on a Friday be sure to hit Martini Night in the wine bar, although it seems everyone in town makes it there too so it's packed but lots of fun. We had dinner in the remodeled dining room and the food was as good as I have had and we travel extensively. They say they have new management and a new Chef. It's obvious!! Service was good and everyone who worked there seemed like they wanted to be there. A new pizzeria with killer pizza makes you feel like your in Italy with the decor & all. We skii'd our first time night skiing, what a blast, if nothing else, you have to go for that. If you haven't been there since summer you need to see this place now. Rooms need a little $ put into them but they are tons nicer than last year and the whole place seems really clean. It seems that they are classing it up as fast as they can and money is not an object. I will definitely go back, can't wait to see more changes

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank merlot123
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We (me, wife, two children ages 8, 10) had never skied before, so I was looking for a mid-priced ski vacation traveling from central Texas. I had checked the more expensive Colorado trip options, but didn't want to spend too much on our first ski trip in case we hated it. I chose Angel Fire because a friend had recommended it, though the online reviews were not great. So I arrived at the resort with low expectations.

Overall, I would give the resort high marks primarily because the skiing experience was great and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly, which matter when you know zero about skiing. Compared with more expensive options, I thought I got what I paid for. (I've stayed at many 4- and 5-star hotels, so I like nice stays. But this hotel is fine for what you are going to do, which is get out and ski. It felt 3-star, but with a 4-star staff.)

The good: very large room with lots of space for clothes and gear, which is great considering the large amount of down time (recovery!) you need in the room. The bed was fine. Has a mini-fridge for your own food. Free internet. Easy to ski from start to end with super-helpful staff to get you on the slopes. The instructors for my wife and me and two children were superb. The skiing was fantastic for beginners.

The bad: the room was too dark, so it was hard to find things. The food was sub-par (pizza buffet for lunch, very weak breakfast buffet, and the upscale dinner experience was very disappointing--I waited 30 minutes for a cold steak). The entertainment options for non-skiers did not look great and Taos, a 30-minute fairly dangerous drive, is boring unless you like gazing at second-rate paintings of pensive pseudo-American Indians. (Go to Angel Fire to ski only or you will be disappointed!) The indoor pool is very small--really just for little kids to splash around in.

Suggestions if you go here: 1) bring a lot of your own food (cereal, fruit, etc.), so you're eating out less time. Eat at the Sunset Grill (we gave up on the hotel and ate there every day), which is right next to the hotel. It has all the basics (breakfast, pasta, burgers, salads), but the plus is that they make food right, service is great and the prices are fine. Also: it's right next to the lifts. You'll open a tab there, I'm sure. 2) ask for a room away from noise areas. We had a room facing the pool and it was noisy on some nights until 10pm. (But then again, we got the last room available for Christmas week.)

Bottom line: if what you want to do is learn how to ski and have a blast doing it, this is the right place to start. If you are the "They don't make the beds as well as they did at The Plaza, darling" type, go to Colorado.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2009

This place has reaally changed for the better and kept prices reasonable. Great accomodations and restaurant/bar offerings in the resort. Snow, snow, snow! Skiing and snowboarding rentals and storage. Slopes are fit for all levels of skiers and boarders. Great food on the mountain. too!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
#3 of 4 in Eagle Nest
Alpine Village Suites
Alpine Village Suites
#2 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!