“paid too much”

The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angel Fire
Baton Rouge, La.
Reviewed March 23, 2005

we stayed at the resort Mar. 5th thru 10th and paid $219 per night; It may be worth it for a great deal, but it is definitely not worth the full price. Being so close to the slopes is a great thing and the slopes were nice. We normally ski in Colorado, and it is still better than Angel Fire. However, if I could get a great deal like they had in Feb., then I would ski at Angel Fire again. I might get a condo next time. There are also not many choices of places to eat. I've never been to a resort where the resturant is only open for brekfast.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2005

We stayed at the Angel Fire Resort in early February. The hotel is in pretty bad shape, not all that clean and very run down. I reserved a non-smoking room and was given a smoking room. Not thrilling after the long car drive. We were able to switch our room to a non-smoking one. Apparently the room was non-smoking but perhaps the previous occupants had a pet because the next day I had itchy bites all over my legs.

Despite that, we did get a good package at a cheap price, and the slopes were absolutely outstanding. I should have paid more attention to the reviews on this website and looked into getting a condo rather than staying in the hotel. We will definitely return to Angel Fire, but we will not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 7, 2005

We went to Angel Fire NM Feb 3-7. It was great snow, great place. The hotel was not world class, but we did not pay world class prices. Plus our deal was free ski passes for 3 days and breakfast free as well.
I did not see any rude desk people or any rude Resort people at all, so I do not know what some of the reviewers were talking about. If you want even better accomodations go to the condos. If you want a great family vacation at reasonable ski resort prices this is where to go. If you are looking for ritzy ski resorts go to Park City or Aspen or Vail.

23  Thank Tcoylesq
Reviewed February 5, 2005

I have not ever stayed in the Angel Fire Resort Hotel, but this past summer I did walk through the hotel. I would agree that parts of it do look a little run down. I think Angel Fire is a great place for a family vacation (winter or summer). If you are planning on visiting, consider one of the condominiums that are just as close to the slopes as the Angel Fire Resort Hotel. The website for one condo which is directtly across the street from the Resort Hotel can be found at ---. Pictures of the condo included above.

You will also need to be careful when selecting a condo, because many of them are also fairly run down. Most of the complexes are kept in good shape, but sometimes the individual owners don't keep everything as nice as you might want.

24  Thank keith60
Forney, Texas
Reviewed January 16, 2005

Just returned from a long week-end with family and had a wonderful
time at Angel Fire! I was so worried about the trip after reading
the bad reviews from past travelers so here is my spin on the trip.

Angel Fire is a family place and priced accordingly. Yes the building
is old but rooms clean and yes the reservationist are somewhat lacking in skills in their job.
You should call SEVERAL times before your arrival date to check and
RE-CHECK your reservations.
The SMALL town of Angel Fire is just that SMALL and I mean SMALL! However if your going with your family and tired as we were after a fun day on the slopes you won't mind the fact that the town closes up
at 10:00 or earlier.
The day care and ski school were EXCELLENT and smiles were always on the faces of my 2, 4, and 6 year old grandchildren at the end of each day. (Maybe that's why we all had a wonderful time?)

If your looking for a "VAIL" then DON'T GO TO ANGEL FIRE!

If your looking for a family atmosphere, affordable and
slower pace ski resort then ANGEL FIRE is an excellent choice.

Happy Grandmother from Texas

• Stayed: January 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed November 6, 2004

The town Angel Fire is a sleepy little village with no nightlife (most restaurants close at 10pm or so) but is great for families. Angel Fire Resort (AFR) is the name of the hotel at the base of the ski area. The problem is that the hotel is extremely run-down, and the front desk is indifferent at best, and hostile at worst. The support personnel (housekeeping, wait staff in restaurant) are very friendly. Unfortunately no one else who works for the resort is. I have seen children who come to the front desk in their bathing suits to ask for towels ignored for 10 minutes while they stood there shivering (the desk is by the front doors). During the week that I stayed, I often saw front desk personnel arguing with guests. I heard them deny certain promotions until the guests showed them the ads. I also heard them refuse to give a father and son the "Two for Tuesday" special, where you get 2 lift tickets for the price of 1, because the son was not an adult, even though the website didn't say the second person had to be an adult. My kids were at the ski school, but I thought that was very deceptive.

The rooms are incredibly shabby. I know it wasn't just ours because you can see in the other rooms when they are cleaned. Our room lacked the basics like pans to cook with (we had two small pots--think Campbell soup can size--and no skillet, large saucepan or cookie sheet in the kitchen). We called the front desk 5 times before going up there in person, when we were told there was not a spare pot in the hotel. Plumbing problems occurred daily. You can hear every step the people above you take, and it sounds like the roof is going to cave in on you. This is very frustrating at 2am. They advertised having a game room, but when my kids tried to go, it was closed. The hot tub had a disgusting film and looked like it had not been cleaned in months.

On the good side, there is a great restaurant in town called the Pizza Stop; either order your pizza to go or go early, or you have to wait an hour or more. Angel Fire is much better than Ruidoso, with that awful drive up the mountain every day, or Red River, where the skiing is not too good.

Skiing at Angel Fire is great when there's snow. There is something for every ability, and I felt safe with my kids skiing a little ahead. However, I recommend that you look at staying somewhere else in town, or you will be disappointed. Yes, the hotel was "affordable," but there comes a point where it's better to pay a little more and have decent accomodations.

• Stayed: January 2005
24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2004

We just returned from a weekend in Angel Fire and
were impressed with the beauty of the area and the number of things to do. It might not be as slick as Aspen or St. Moritz but you're not paying those
prices either.

Econo Lodge
#3 of 4 in Eagle Nest
The Historic Taos Inn
Resort Properties of Angel Fire

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!