“Nice as usual!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angel Fire
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
“Nice as usual!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Always love staying here and the surrounding area is so beautiful. Make sure, especially if you are disabled that the front desk steers you to the correct elevator or you will end up walking the entire property to get to your room.

Room Tip: The "Grill" has great sandwiches you can pick up and take to your room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ruth P
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing information about your visit with the on-line community!

We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate constructive feedback, which helps us reach higher goals.

I do hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

Joe Kendall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Fayetteville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I will admit I was a little skeptical after reading some reviews, but was pleasantly surprised at our entire experience.
PROS:
Rooms. We did request an upgraded room and it was great. Our room faced the west and we had a picture-perfect view every morning of the mountains, including Wheeler Peak. We did not have a balcony, and from what we can tell, our balcony was replaced with extra space in our room, which was so nice to have. Our room had a mini fridge and we purchased our own small microwave to bring along. I highly recommend doing that if your room does not come with one. It saved us a lot of time and $! I was nervous about the paper-thin walls that several mentioned, but we did not experience this at all. We could hear the people above us walking (infrequently) but never heard any talking.
Location. You can exit the resort on the 2nd floor and be at the base of the mountain in less than 5 minutes (I advise wearing other shoes and changing into ski boots once you conquer the MANY stairs). All services (lift tickets, rentals, etc are very compact and in close proximity to each other and the base of the mountain)
Staff. We had the best experience with the staff from front desk clerks to the housekeeping staff. They were so accommodating to us and went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed.
Skiing. It was March, so all things considered, it was perfect. We had sunny skies and high temps in the 40s. Icy conditions gave way to slushy ones in the afternoons but overall the conditions were good. Ski school for the littler ones was all day. All children have a GPS system and you can see where they are and where they have been. We had a lot of fun tubing one evening as well. Remember lots of quarters if you wish to utilize the lockers/ski storage at the base.
CONS:
Rooms could use more lighting. Also, one day our room wasn't serviced until almost 5:00, and by that time the lifts were closed and we were ready to relax, so we just exchanged trash and towels and that was it. Pricey food...but it is a resort, so you have to keep that in mind! We did not eat at any of the hotel restaurants (see my other reviews on where we did eat) except for the one at the top of the Chile Express. (Hamburger was $9, Double was $14 and they tasted average; sodas $2, water $2.50). Pool and hot tub were too small for the size of the resort. But those are all minor things in my opinion.
OVERALL:
It was a great experience and we will definitely go back again. Everyone was sad to leave, and that was a sign of an excellent time. This is not a luxury resort, but who needs extensive resort luxuries when you are there to ski? It was cozy and comfortable and well worth the price.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a renovated room and get one facing west!
4 Thank RazorMama
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Sorry for my delay in responding to you!

I appreciate your positive and constructive feedback, as well as, you sharing hints with the on-line community.

Here's to hoping you return again during the ski season or try the summer/fall season for a different experience!

Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here for Spring Break and it was a super location. The room was huge (we had paid extra for the newly refurbished ones) We had two queen beds a small table with one chair (?), a fireplace and balcony which they had not refurbished at all it was disgusting and when you opened the door it smelled of hotdogs (it was an internal balcony???). We also heard a noise like generator kick in in the early hours of the morning which was loud and annoying. I would suggest the hotel get better lighting as the room being so big was super dark. There was no microwave yet we did have a fridge (would have liked both and there was certainly the space for it!!) We ate both at the Pizza restaurant (expensive and the pizza was OK) and Chiantis which did a great meal with super service. The wifi was terrible and we could not get on the internet most nights as there was 'too many users' which was highly annoying.

Room Tip: One that has been refurbished and if you are at the back of the hotel not near the generator or air...
1 Thank Sharron M
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate constructive feedback, which helps us achieve our goals.

I do hope that you come back and visit us again.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We loved this hotel and especially the little cafe downstairs. Our room was HUGE...very nice and very clean and comfy. The hotel itself was wonderful, but the skiing was pretty bad. A lot of ice and ground showing through. We had to go to Taos one day just so we could actually ski...If you are going to ski in March (Spring Break), you might want to look elsewhere than Angel Fire.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with the on-line community. It is great to read that you enjoyed your visit; the rooms and the Coffee House. Spring Skiing is an interesting time of the year!

I do hope that you will come back and visit us again.

Happy and Safe Travels,
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

As grandparents we brought 3 grandchildren...and after a day of lessons we were all able to navigate the lifts and bunny trail. The Children's Ski School was worth EVERY penny. The rooms are large. New had a roll away in ours and still had plenty of room. Make sure you get an upgraded room and if possible one with an enclosed patio. We fixed simple meals in our room & the kids ate at the table on the patio. Beds are comfortable, big flat screen tv, microwave, and refrigerator. Plenty of room to store ski gear and VERY close to the lifts and slopes. One night we ate at Chianti's in the Lodge ... They serve very good pizza. The resort cafe serves Starbucks coffee and simple breakfast and lunch items. It would have been nice to have better room lighting and more dryers on the floors for wet ski and swim attire. All the staff were friendly and helpful. During peak season parking is difficult and WIFI limited and SLOW! But overall...we will come again!

Room Tip: Ask for upgraded room facing slope and a patio.
1 Thank Texasskipper
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the on-line community. It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback. Based on your description, it sounds like you were in an Executive room, which is one of our largest and also offers a microwave as there are limited rooms with microwaves.

It is great to see that you will be returning!

Take care and Happy Travels,
Joseph Kendall
Fay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Angel Fire Resort is very, very convenient to the ski mountain. The rooms are nice and clean. They are geared toward the outdoor and cabin look. My only complaint is that there is not enought lighting in the rooms. Especially over the vanity. The hotel has good food and usually some kind of entertainment at night. Can't get any closer to the mountain. Walk up a few stairs and you are at the base of the mountain. We stay there every year and will continue to go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicki I
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

Baton Rouge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

-- Package --
My wife and I went to Angelfire Resort this past January for four nights. We booked a special offer that the resort had going at the time: check in on Sun or Mon and stay at least three nights to get lift tickets included and a reduced room rate. All together I think the package was about $700. I figured that was pretty good for skiing and room included. Lift tickets are usually $66 at that time, so eight of those is worth $528 if you look at it that way.

-- Arrival --
We flew in from Dallas into Albuquerque airport. Flight was about 2 hours. Got a little fwd compact and drove about 3 hours to resort. The last 0.5-1 hour was through the mountains for sure. Before that, it's mostly flat. We didn't have any trouble, but the tiny engine didn't really like the uphills that much.

We arrived at 2:00pm, and the room was ready. They told me that they couldn't guarantee that this would be the case. We rented skis and boots at the shop in the parking lot for $30 per day per person. We had enough time on the first day to quickly change and get out on the slopes for about 1.5 hours. This was a good first day for us. Lifts shut down at 4pm.

-- Accommodations --
Having read other reviews, I was a bit worried about the hotel. The pictures were not all that informative. We weren't blown away by the accommodations, but nothing was terrible. Our room was spacious. The bed was fine. There was a place in the bathroom to store our ski apparel. There was a balcony that overlooked the parking lot and valley beyond. The "fireplace" turned out to be a heater with simulated fire. i was hoping for some gas logs, but whatever. We spent a lot of time in the room at night, since it was about 4 degrees outside. So it was fine overall.

Our neighbors were in the habit of slamming doors as they got up at about 6 every morning. The walls might be a little thin. It sounded like they were in our room.

-- Food --
The food options were pretty limited. At any given time, we only found one restaurant open. The food is nothing to write home about, but there are some tasty dishes. We ate mostly in the Legends grill, as it was the only option at night. We never tried the country club, as you have leave the hotel to get there. I think there is a shuttle. The Village Haus at the foot of the slope is not as good. But if you're hungry after skiing, you can find something. You might want to stick to their sandwiches. Burgers were ok. They were out of things pretty often.

We never ate at the top of the Chile Express lift, but there is a place.

-- Skiing --
We both had a great time skiing. This mountain is great for beginners and intermediates. There are some glades (expert slopes with scattered trees) and some blacks (expert slopes) for the more adventurous. Most of these weren't open when we were there, but we couldn't have done them anyway. The long green on the ridge line, Headin' Home, is very slow. So it's not much fun for a better beginner. My wife enjoyed it, though, since she doesn't like to go too fast. She got tired of doing the lower slopes over and over. There is only one real green slope besides the bunny that is accessible without riding the big lift.

The back side of the mountain was great fun for me. On our second day, we'd had over a foot of snow in the previous 48 hours, and there was a lot of powder. I'd never had conditions like that before, and I had a blast. There are many blue slopes, and a fair number of greens as well, especially on the back side. I could handle probably half the blues on the mountain by the time we left. The others were too hard. I've been skiing three times now, and I'm reasonably athletic. Haven't taken any lessons, though.

-- Service --
The front desk was pretty terrible, honestly. When we first arrived, I stood there for at least five minutes while people who apparently weren't actually working the desk passed back and forth. They looked at me, but no one said a word. No, "We'll be with you in a moment," nothing. Eventually, a woman finally came back and checked us in. I was excited to ask her if she thought that we could make it out to the slopes with enough time to ski. Lift tickets for the day were included in the package. She was very apathetic. It wasn't a great first impression.

Elsewhere, however, people were very nice. In the restaurants, the staff are pleasant and friendly. We had a very nice discussion with two members of the cleaning staff whom we interrupted cleaning our room when we came back in the middle of the day. They were both very nice.

-- Overall --
I would go back to Angelfire. My wife and I don't have to stay in a finest resorts. We're there to ski. We got a good price, and we had a great time skiing. Yes the food could have been a little better, but we've had worse for sure. Of course food and drinks are expensive... it's a resort after all. Overall, we had a good time, and I'd recommend it to someone who wants to ski on a budget. I think the whole trip came in under $2500 for the two of us with airfare and rental car booked through Priceline.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill B
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to share you experience! I look forward to sharing your feedback with the venues you have mentioned. We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate constructive feedback, which helps us achieve our goals. I hope that you will make another trip to the Angel Fire and stay with us here in the Lodge.

Joseph Kendall
#1 of 8 in Red River
Alpine Village Suites
Alpine Village Suites
#2 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!