“Good Beginner/Intermediate Mountain. Accommodations OK”

The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angel Fire
Baton Rouge
“Good Beginner/Intermediate Mountain. Accommodations OK”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

-- Package --
My wife and I went to Angelfire Resort this past January for four nights. We booked a special offer that the resort had going at the time: check in on Sun or Mon and stay at least three nights to get lift tickets included and a reduced room rate. All together I think the package was about $700. I figured that was pretty good for skiing and room included. Lift tickets are usually $66 at that time, so eight of those is worth $528 if you look at it that way.

-- Arrival --
We flew in from Dallas into Albuquerque airport. Flight was about 2 hours. Got a little fwd compact and drove about 3 hours to resort. The last 0.5-1 hour was through the mountains for sure. Before that, it's mostly flat. We didn't have any trouble, but the tiny engine didn't really like the uphills that much.

We arrived at 2:00pm, and the room was ready. They told me that they couldn't guarantee that this would be the case. We rented skis and boots at the shop in the parking lot for $30 per day per person. We had enough time on the first day to quickly change and get out on the slopes for about 1.5 hours. This was a good first day for us. Lifts shut down at 4pm.

-- Accommodations --
Having read other reviews, I was a bit worried about the hotel. The pictures were not all that informative. We weren't blown away by the accommodations, but nothing was terrible. Our room was spacious. The bed was fine. There was a place in the bathroom to store our ski apparel. There was a balcony that overlooked the parking lot and valley beyond. The "fireplace" turned out to be a heater with simulated fire. i was hoping for some gas logs, but whatever. We spent a lot of time in the room at night, since it was about 4 degrees outside. So it was fine overall.

Our neighbors were in the habit of slamming doors as they got up at about 6 every morning. The walls might be a little thin. It sounded like they were in our room.

-- Food --
The food options were pretty limited. At any given time, we only found one restaurant open. The food is nothing to write home about, but there are some tasty dishes. We ate mostly in the Legends grill, as it was the only option at night. We never tried the country club, as you have leave the hotel to get there. I think there is a shuttle. The Village Haus at the foot of the slope is not as good. But if you're hungry after skiing, you can find something. You might want to stick to their sandwiches. Burgers were ok. They were out of things pretty often.

We never ate at the top of the Chile Express lift, but there is a place.

-- Skiing --
We both had a great time skiing. This mountain is great for beginners and intermediates. There are some glades (expert slopes with scattered trees) and some blacks (expert slopes) for the more adventurous. Most of these weren't open when we were there, but we couldn't have done them anyway. The long green on the ridge line, Headin' Home, is very slow. So it's not much fun for a better beginner. My wife enjoyed it, though, since she doesn't like to go too fast. She got tired of doing the lower slopes over and over. There is only one real green slope besides the bunny that is accessible without riding the big lift.

The back side of the mountain was great fun for me. On our second day, we'd had over a foot of snow in the previous 48 hours, and there was a lot of powder. I'd never had conditions like that before, and I had a blast. There are many blue slopes, and a fair number of greens as well, especially on the back side. I could handle probably half the blues on the mountain by the time we left. The others were too hard. I've been skiing three times now, and I'm reasonably athletic. Haven't taken any lessons, though.

-- Service --
The front desk was pretty terrible, honestly. When we first arrived, I stood there for at least five minutes while people who apparently weren't actually working the desk passed back and forth. They looked at me, but no one said a word. No, "We'll be with you in a moment," nothing. Eventually, a woman finally came back and checked us in. I was excited to ask her if she thought that we could make it out to the slopes with enough time to ski. Lift tickets for the day were included in the package. She was very apathetic. It wasn't a great first impression.

Elsewhere, however, people were very nice. In the restaurants, the staff are pleasant and friendly. We had a very nice discussion with two members of the cleaning staff whom we interrupted cleaning our room when we came back in the middle of the day. They were both very nice.

-- Overall --
I would go back to Angelfire. My wife and I don't have to stay in a finest resorts. We're there to ski. We got a good price, and we had a great time skiing. Yes the food could have been a little better, but we've had worse for sure. Of course food and drinks are expensive... it's a resort after all. Overall, we had a good time, and I'd recommend it to someone who wants to ski on a budget. I think the whole trip came in under $2500 for the two of us with airfare and rental car booked through Priceline.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill B
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to share you experience! I look forward to sharing your feedback with the venues you have mentioned. We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate constructive feedback, which helps us achieve our goals. I hope that you will make another trip to the Angel Fire and stay with us here in the Lodge.

Safe and Happy Travels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We visited Angel Fire on 02/21 thru 02/23/13. We received a room that was not yet upgraded. The only thing really wrong with the room was the restroom and it was tolerable. After dropping our things in our room we went to Legends... I have to say that was the beginning of questions regarding management. The wait staff & manager both tried to pass bottom shelf tequila as Patron. Mind you we didn't request Patron but that is how they charged us. We were charged $25 for 3 Tequila Sunrises. The next day we leave to hit the slopes. The place is so fragmented. You go one place to get your reservations another to get your equipment and yet another to go to the ski school. Finally, we are on the snow and with our group for ski lessons. After 2 hrs. our instructor advises that time is up and since I have yet to master stopping, via the wedge, I should remove my skis and walk down the mountain... Really??? Between the ski rentals and lesson I spent right at $100. I was very disappointed with our instructor and his lack of concern or professionalism. After turning in our skis we decided to grab a bite to eat. We decided to stay on the resort and visited the Village Haus restaurant. We were once again extremely disappointed with the food and service. It was disgusting. The hamburger patty was pulled out of a pan of water and put on the grill to be reheated. Mind you this burger was roughly $10.75. Needlesstosay, it was thrown in the trash. Saturday we checked out and left for home a day early. The only positive thing about the resort was the fact that they credited the last day back to my account. I might visit the resort again. Not really sure at this point. If I do, all of my dining and drinking will be done elsewhere and my expectations will be considerably lower.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a newly remodeled room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristy T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with the on-line community. We appreciate our guests sharing their thoughts and ideas, as it assists in the continuous process of change.

I will share this feedback with the venues mentioned.

Happy and Safe Travels!
Enid, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the resort for the 1st time Feb 20-24. We got lucky enough to have 10-12" of new powder that wk!! Great skiing for the short drive from Okla!!

Pros: good instructors for our 2 kids. They learned really quick after 2 days and were skiing blues with us the 3rd day! The ski staff were all great....nice to walk out and ski, even though it was up 4 flights of stairs. Hard for the little ones with their gear.

Cons: Our room didn't even have a microwave and was very dark at night even with the existing lights. I don't know if it was one that hadn't been renovated or not. There wasn't a light over by the mini fridge and coffe maker....we called in an order from Legends and said we'd just pick it up and they charged me the room service price. I just wanted to get out and walk around a bit. Guess I should've laid in bed and waited on them to deliver it. The Sampler platter had soggy fries on the bottom of my chicken strips, mozzarella sticks, OVER fried okra, and 5 of the half dozen buffalo wings that were advertised on the menu. I can't believe I even tipped the bar tender when I picked up my order. Had I known that they charged me delivery prices I would said something and not tipped but I didn't realize it till I got back to the room. We were hungry so I just ate it. I also got charged more for my pizza, which was way better than the Sampler. I won't ever eat there again if I stay there. I would've rather spend my money at Hail's BBQ down the road. I told my friends who were staying there the following week also to take the short drive and eat elsewhere even though prices at the resort weren't too bad for a resort.

The rest of stay was good though. Nice staff at the lodge. I'd definitely stay again if they make the minor changes.

• Stayed February 2013
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2013

Safe and Happy Travels
Plano, Texas
Reviewed February 27, 2013

First of all, the skiing was excellent and the scenery was beautiful. For a first time skier I found it easy to learn the sport and really enjoyed the skiing experience!

The "resort" was far from accommodating in my opinion. Here's why...

FOOD

-Bars closed too early and the bartenders were not too attentive or outgoing.

-The restaurant was an overpriced concession stand and the other places to eat at the resort always seemed closed....

-If you want a cup of coffee in the morning be prepared to wait at least 20 min because the "Starbucks" in the lobby has no clue how to move a line or take orders with any speed.

MOTEL

-The rooms were poorly lit and outdated

-On the 4th floor you have 1 door that joins together 2 rooms so be prepared for door slamming at sunrise.

-No food or drink at or around the pool

Overall, I got the sense that people who work and run this hotel have no sense of hospitality and are only concerned about getting as much money out of you as possible. The locals that work here really seem put out by the fact that they actually have to "service" the people that keep them employed.

I realize that you don't pay top dollar to stay here and overall it's a good value. So if you are into skiing all day for a good price, then this is a bargain. Just don't expect good service and atmosphere once you get off the slopes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate feedback, which helps us achieve our goals.

I do hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

dallas, texas
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Made my first trip to Angel Fire over President's Day weekend. It was a decent experience, but I most likely will not return.

The positives: Great location walking distance to the lifts. Great price compared to other ski in ski out resorts in Colorado. Enjoyed the mountain, even thought it's small. And the drive is easy coming from the Dallas area.

The negatives: This is not the luxury resort type of atmosphere that you might be expecting. It's showing its age, particularly if you're in one of the rooms that hasn't been renovated. Ours was dirty and badly in need of a facelift. (The garbage disposal didn't work, the TV was out dated, the plates were dirty, there was random junk left in the room...) The food was ok. The staff was ok. The pool area was ok. Nothing great or terrible. I will say that the staff seemed to really struggle with the basics of running a hotel. They were always out of coffee, the restaurant and bar close early, they struggled to respond to basic requests (could I see a print out of my statement?), and the maid service was very poor.

All in all, it was a decent trip. Just know that this is a 2.5 or 3 star lodge, not a true luxury resort that they think they are. And the town is the same way. There aren't a lot of good places to eat. Everything closes very early. There isn't even a pizza delivery place in town. Or a movie theater. Or other things that you'd expect in a true vacation town. But it's certainly quiet and the people seem nice for the most part. Again, if your expectations are appropriate, it's worth the money. JUST GET A RENOVATED ROOM!

Room Tip: It's imperative that you get a renovated room. If you can't, don't go.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the departments you have mentioned. We are always looking at ways to improve processes and communication and your feedback will help us learn and grow as a team.

I hope that you will decide to make another trip to Angel Fire and stay with us here in the Lodge.

Happy and Safe Travels,
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband & I went skiing for the 1st time as a couple w/our five year-old son & toddler (we're from Albuquerque) in Durango this past New Year's. Ever since, we've been bitten by the "ski bug" & have been hitting the slopes ever since back & forth to Durango & Ski Santa Fe. While my husband is a seasoned skier, my son & I barely begun to learn, so we were eager try Angel Fire as it was touted as "family & beginner friendly." Unfortunately, I fell a little under the weather & my son & only hit two slopes before we were done. From what I gathered from those two bunny slopes, they were surprisingly kinda challenging but totally skiable. My husband said the expert black trails were great, especially the "hike-to" trails on the backside - a 20 minute hike was rewarded with 10 inches of fresh "pow". Didn't realize how many folks came from TX & OK! Encountered that Southern hospitality!

Pros: The skiing. Loved the "ski in/ski out." Legends Grill as well as the Coffee House were delicious! The pool/jacuzzi area. Although, I didn't use it, fitness center looked good. Staff were friendly & helpful. Unbelievably, spacious room w/a fridge a nice flat screen. Clean. Friendly childcare staff at the daycare & my daughter was happy when she was picked up. Rates very reasonable for room quality.

Cons: Didn't care for policy of having to pay for childcare up front (find this business practice sketchy). Didn't learn about the 8 day reservation cancellation policy til after the fact. So it was a "use or lose it" b/c I barely called two days in advance. It worked out on this occasion, but for our needs we require more flexibility. Place could use a "face lift." Decks, rooms, & lobby are bit tired & worn looking. Have to walk up four flights of stairs to get to slopes.

All & all, we look forward to returning next season!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank anelizk26
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with the on-line community. It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback. I am happy to hear that the childcare concern was worked through.

I look forward to sharing your feedback with the venues you have mentioned. I am happy to hear that you are planning to return to Angel Fire and stay with us here in the Lodge.

Take care and Happy Travels,
Texas
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

No matter what may be negative about this the positives outweigh any bad. However, I will continue to beg and plead for the owners to ADD SOME LIGHTS! Closets dark, room areas dark... it just needs a bank of some fluorescent lights on a separate switch overhead. Great place to stay and ski otherwise.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank PilotFlyer
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate constructive feedback, which helps us achieve our goals.

I do hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Angel Fire
#1 of 8 in Red River
Alpine Village Suites
Alpine Village Suites
#2 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!