“Second visit”

The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angel Fire
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is our second visit to Angel Fire. We stayed here the first time by chance on our first visit to Taos. This time staying at Angel Fire was a destination after our time at the Balloon Fiesta. We had a very relaxing time. On the advice of the hotel staff we stayed in a renovated room that looked out to the mountains. Although the room could use an extra chair or couch it was very nice. We also enjoyed eating at Legends and relaxing after dinner in the hot tub by the pool.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank D L
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for returning to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the accommodations! Our rooms are very large, compared to many, and the furnishing could seem sparse depending on the rooms. I home that on our next visit you get to spend a few nights with us so that you can check out the other ventues offered at the Resort.

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here one night while visiting Angel Fire. Had a basic Alpine room looking out onto the chair lift. They have upgraded these rooms they now have new tile in the bathrooms and granite countertops. The hallways have new paint and carpet. We enjoyed our room very much although there were problems wtih keys now working we had to have ours redone twice! The fitness center needs some upgrades. The cardio machines are more of an afterthought with a broken/dangerous elliptical and one working precor elliptical that could have its wheels replaced (due to bumpiness).
I never managed to get the key to work in the door of the fitness center they said it was "tricky" and after trying about six times I said it was "broken". We did not try the restaurant or coffee shop but rather went to the Roasted Clove for dinner (must go there) and to the new Club House over by the golf course for lunch (we are resort members).

Still the place was much improved over our last stay during which time we had a bat airport outside our balcony and bat droppings all over the balcony and a leaky toilet. The bathroom renovations would have fixed the toilet issue.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mybusinesstraveller2
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

It is great to hear from guests that have experienced our rooms before and after the changes. The fitness center and additional room upgrades are on our list. Each time you return you should see common area upgrades that enhance everyone's visit.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

If you're looking for a sappy, overly positive review of a great hotel/resort, You've found it. The Angelfire resort is a great place. It has an old section that will be remodeled soon, but the already remodeled section is fantastic. Great rooms, super beds. One of the best places I have ever stayed. Once it's 100% remodeled I'm sure this will be one of the best ski resorts anywhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Neg F

Dear Guest,

Thank you! Of our 121 rooms, we have completed 46 rooms and are scheduled to complete the remaining 75 next summer. However, we painted the common area hallways, rooms and just installed our flat screens in the remaining 75 rooms. Progress is being made.

Hope that you return soon.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I should have asked for a room upgrade; our room opened onto the swimming pool! It wasn't noisy, but I was hoping for a view of the mountains...why build a hotel with rooms facing indoors?? The hot tub was broken, a definite minus for us, since we had traveled for a relaxing weekend away. The restaurant was mediocre, and I realized that if you're going to a ski resort in the off-season, keep your expectations low...

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am sorry that the hot tub was not working while you were here at The Lodge. We did our best to get the hot tub back up immediately, however a part was needed that needed to be ordered. I hope that you were able to make use of the pool while you were here.
The Lodge does offer many types of rooms with different views of the area. One of our Reservations team members will be able to assit you with this information the next time you visit.

Looking forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at Angel Fire Resort over a long weekend in September and the resort was just okay, nothing great. The best part of our stay was the balcony view from our room and the nice cool weather. We had a great view, although the furnishings in our room were a little outdated. We also upgraded to a room with a fireplace, and were disappointed in the fireplace. We expected a real fireplace or gas fireplace at least. It was a fake one with a little switch on the side to make it light up and a heat knob. Our friends on the 3rd floor had much nicer furnishings and decor in their rooms. There aren't many dining options at the hotel - just a coffee shop and a restaurant on the 2nd floor that doesn't open until 4 pm. We had dinner at the restaurant on our last night and were not at all impressed. The service was fair, but the food leaves alot to be desired. In fact, I started feeling not so well about an hour after we ate and both my husband and I were sick all the next day. We ordered the Surf and Turf, and my steak tasted funny to me. I thought it was actually rancid or freezer burned. After about two bites, I could not finish it. When I told my husband that I thought it tasted funny, he also took a couple of bites and thought it tasted "gamey." I think my reaction was more accurate - it was rancid. A couple of friends ordered the blackened chicken and said it was dry and did not have much flavor. The appetizers were better than the entrees. We were with a group of friends and shared wings and queso, and the queso was especially good. We should have stopped at the appetizers!

Room Tip: Fourth floor with a balcony facing west - great view of the mountains and Wheeler Peak
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lori M

Dear Guest,

Sorry that I haven't responded sooner. When I first saw this review I immediately spoke to the departments mentioned.
In regards to the rooms, it sounds as though your friends stayed in the A Building you stayed in B Building. As you noticed the A building has been refurnished and our B building is scheduled to be refurnished next spring / summer.
Some of our rooms do have great views of Wheeler Peak, especially during spring/summer/fall, and others have great views of the Mountain, during fall/winter.
I look forward to you visiting us in the future.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We rented all the equpment and purchased lift tickets at the mountain. Because of high wind, they closed down and did not refund our money even nowing that we were leaving the next day. Go somewhere else like Colorado or tahoe etc.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Without the specifics of your stay I am not able to address the issue. However, I would like to share that there are many factors that go into compensating a guest; weather, type of ticket purchased, time of day, etc. I do hope that we get another opportunity for you to come visit.

Regards,

Reviewed August 28, 2012

My stay was short - one night. I had a discounted rate through the Music from Angel Fire festival.

The staff at the desk are excellent - friendly and helpful. I arrived around 3 PM, knowing check-in was not until 4. My room was not ready yet, but they took my cell # and called when it was ready.

Apparently my room was one half of a suite. All I knew was that it was Eagle 102B (I think I remember that number correctly...) I found Eagle 102 and used the key card. It opened me into a hallway with a door on each side - not identified in any way. I decided (correctly, as it turned out) that B must be the door on the right, and sure enough, my key card worked in that door. Strangely, the key card was in an envelope reminding me to use the dead bolt - and yet there was no dead bolt on either door. The only security I had was the key card mechanism - I had no choice but to trust it, and didn't much like that.

The room itself was very nice. I made use of the fridge, microwave, and hot tub - all were clean and worked well. I appreciated the extra towels beside the hot tub. Even though it was mid-August the temperatures were not hot, and I did not need AC; the ceiling fan was enough. One thing I found odd was that there were almost no available/reachable electrical outlets. In this day and age you would expect that to be a necessity for recharging gadgets. I had to plug my phone into an outlet in the kitchen area to charge.

The bed was comfortable, especially the pillows. The shower was fine, although there was a bit of peeling wall paint around it. The alarm clock was broken, and the door hinges needed lubing - small details you'd think would be caught in a place of this caliber. The WiFi sometimes worked in the room, sometimes didn't (but was fine in the main building.) I used the fitness center and all equipment there was in good shape.

I did not eat in the Resort restaurants, although I did purchase coffee from a very nice coffee shop employee. In fact, all my dealings with employees were delightful.

I was given printed instructions to strip the sheets off my bed and leave them on the bathroom floor when checking out. It surprised me, but I didn't mind.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay there and would return. I wish they'd install deadbolts, however!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank gdionelli
Joe K, General Manager at The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is nice to read both positive and constructive feedback from our guests.

Your feedback has been shared with our maintenance and IT department leaders.

I hope that you come back and visit us again, soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Angel Fire
#3 of 4 in Eagle Nest
Alpine Village Suites
Alpine Village Suites
#2 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!