“Great location, fair lodging, bad service”

The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Angel Fire
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We spent a week for spring break at the resort lodge. The location was excellent for access to the lifts. The room was large enough to accomodate all four of us. The lighting in the rooms are aweful. The only lighting are dim lamps around the room. There were only three small drawers in the tv stand, although the bathroom had a big pantry for putting clothes away. On two days of our stay we were not given wash cloths. We requested wash cloths on the first day they went missing four times and were told that they would check with housekeeping. We never did get wash cloths that day. The days we did get wash cloths we got four wash cloths.

The coffee shop in the lobby was good and service was good. The pizza place took FOREVER the three times we eat there. On the last night we were the first to sit down and have our order taken and the last table to get our pizza. A few tables actually got their pizza before we got our drinks. The Legends restaurant was were we got the best service, by our waitress, Sue.

We would probably stay again because of the location to the lifts. I would recommend it, just don't expect the Ritz.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank hilliardtx

Reviewed March 10, 2011

The location couldnt be better, located at the base of the slopes. However, we were told we had reserved one of their nicer king sized rooms with a balcony but what they gave us was a room over looking the indoor swimming pool that reeked of chlorine and reverberating with the sounds of shreiking children. Not exactly the room we expected over looking the pine forest and mountains of NM. When we went to the front desk to request a different room we were told there were no others available. We told the clerk that the parking lot was empty and there had to be other rooms. Aftere a lot of haggling we had to pay nearly double for a "suite" that over looked the main road. All in all, the service on all levels (restaurants, staff, maid service etc) was substandard. Compare it to a Holiday Inn. We would definitely never stay here again

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sharmyn077
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Please be careful with this offer:

----Family Condo Package
Receive a 10% discount off lodging in any condominium and receive two days of lift tickets for four people. Minimum 2 night stay required. -------

We tried to book it for two nights in a 2 bedrooms/2 baths lodge. The price that we supposed to get was $517.00 Well when I called I spoke to 3 different people. Even a manager and the price was over $750.00. I asked why and the answer was that the lift tickets were "NOT FREE". So I asked them why does it says that we will receive the lift tickets without saying that they will charge to us for them? They didnt want to honor the advertising that they had. This add misleads the customers. Please report this add when you try to book it. Report it to Chamber of Commerce or any other places that you could report it. I already did.
Thank you.
HDE

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank da_erazo
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I stayed at the Angel Fire Resort on July 01- July 03. We arrived in Angel Fire around noon. We parked our motorcycles in front of the hotel. We walked to town to visit the shops. We cooled off in the visitors center. At 2:00PM we walked back to lobby at Angel Fire Resort.

Upon checking into our room the hotel clerk told us we had to fill out an inventory check-list. We had 24 hours to fill out the form and bring it to the front desk. I've never had to fill out inventory forms at other timeshare resorts.

We arrived early and we're in our room around 2:30PM. Our room was on third floor with no AC. I didn't like carrying all my luggage up the stairs. I had known that we probably wouldn't have AC, but I thought it wouldn't get hot in the mountains. My husband found a box fan in the closet. He put the fan on the patio to blow fresh air in the room. We had the fan on 24/7.

Bathroom items and Toiletries
The five bath towels were soft and new looking. We had 5 hand towels, 4 wash rags and one floor towel. There were samples of Frizz-Ease hair products, Boire face scrub, Rusk body lotion, tooth paste and Men's Degree deodorant. We washed our clothes in the washer and dryer. There was one box of Tide for a single load of wash. We used less detergent and washed three loads of laundry. There was no maid service for a three night stay. We washed our towels too.

Condition of kitchen and living room
The room was clean. The couch was comfortable to sit on and watch TV. The TV had a DVD player and tape player built in the set. We had brought our Netflix DVDs and watched them. The kitchette included a small dishwasher, narrow stove, full size refrigerator and one sink. The kitchen towel, wash rag and pot holder were wrapped in plastic wrap. The sheets in the closet were also wrapped in plastic. We both slept on the murphy bed. There was a velour blanket and a quilt in the closet. The top sheet and velour blanket were adequate for us.

There is a community center we walked to from the resort. We didn't know how far it was up the hill. People drove their vehicles around us because we were walking on the road as there is no sidewalk. They were having a flea market inside the building. The items at the flea market were mostly used clothing and dishes. We were tired from our walk so went to rest by the playground. I took pictures of the surrounding area below us.

The first day in Angel Fire we went grocery shopping at Valley Market. We bought tortillas and salsa from there. Valley Market closed at 7:30PM. The mini mart had a some groceries, pop and liquor. The 12 packs of pop were expensive. The next day, we drove to Taos to see the shops and go grocery shopping.

We biked the "Enchanted Circle." We drove through Eagles Nest, Red River, Taos and back to Angel Fire. The road from Taos to Angel Fire is very curvy. I wouldn't recommend driving to Angel Fire at night.

I probably won't stay at the Angel Fire Resort again. A skier would probably have more fun in the winter staying at the resort. If you plan to vacation in Angel Fire, NM during the summer bring your hiking boots and a bicycle.

Tips: Only the pool side rooms have air conditioning. The left section of the building we we're staying in didn't have elevators.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mplswoman
Reviewed July 15, 2010

First of all my husband and I traveled 800 miles to get here. Tired from a long trip we go to check in. Walking inside we a wild animal eating out of the trash by the door. We tell the clerk and she says that its not her job to take care of situations like that. (Can't remember her name...short hair, heavy set.) We never insinuated that it was, just wanted to let her know for guest safety. This girl was very unpleasent; couldn't even smile at us or say hello. She tossed our map at us and walked to the back. Offended, I asked her if it was to much trouble to show us where we were going, parking, etc. I also asked if she had a guest complaint card. She said they did not have any.
Once in our room it was quit lovely. I had stayed in the exact room a little over a year ago and the room had definetly been renovated since. Obviously there have been many changes from rooms to the hotel lobby. Housekeeping was friendly, a woman from east Texas. She was more friendly than the front desk clerk by far! She gave us information on places to visit, resturaunts and more.
Over all I would rate this a lot better, if my initial greeting had been friendly.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank humankindess28
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Stayed here with my wife, teenager, and 10yr old and we had a blast. The rooms were very nice and confortable. The resort is right at the base of the mountain so when we were tired we could go back to our room instead of traveling to a different location. The staff at the ski resort and on the slopes were fantastic. They helped us everywhere we went and suggested we ski "heading home" even through we had only been skiing twice before. Heading home starts at the summit and winds it's way down 2-1/2 miles very gradual to the base. I would not hesitate to stay here again. We enjoyed this ski resort better than the one in Colorado in 2008!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We just got back from our last ski trip for the season and we stayed at the Angel Fire Resort. The place is a bit old and outdated, but still cozy and welcoming. The beds are nice and comfy but the carpets are old and a bit smelly (but what can you expect at a ski resort with wet boots coming in and out). Our main complaint is the lack and availability of good food. Even at their upscale Caliente Grill the food is not great and it comes at a high price. I can't really say we had a good quality and affordable meal the whole time we were there. But the snow was great! I'm definitely coming back, but I'm definitely not expecting a good meal or a first class resort. The staff is friendly and helpful - so that makes up for the lack of other amenities.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#3 of 4 in Eagle Nest
Sagebrush Inn & Suites

Been to The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort? Share your experiences!