“Relaxing oasis with friendly service”
Review of Devi Bhawan

Devi Bhawan
Ranked #5 of 96 Hotels in Jodhpur
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing oasis with friendly service”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

After a hairy night train ride we arrived at Jodhpur airport at 5am in the morning, and our hotel manager met us in the berth of our train and took us straight to the hotel to make sure we were safe after we had contacted him to let him know we were a bit worried - already a level of service that astounded us! We arrived at the hotel and didn't have to check in, we were taken to a room to get a few hours sleep (until 10) and then we went and had a lovely breakfast out in the gardens before check in. Here we could begin to fully appreciate the beauty of the hotel. The gardens are stunning, with swing seats, water lily ponds, spreads of grass to run around on, beautiful flowerbeds and a fabulous pool where we spent many an hour swimming. It was so quiet, and it smelt of nature and incense. Every room opens onto some kind of private sitting area in the garden which was idyllic.

The service in the restaurant was with the best of intentions, although at breakfast each morning lots of items were forgotten, and cutlery not brought etc, but it was more endearing than annoying. We handed in our keys to get the room serviced each day, but were always perplexed by not being given many towels (one each, plus a hand towel) which was odd considering there was a swimming pool and most hotels provide a few hotels and automatically give you more if you ask (we were told we could not have more).

There was good free wifi connection and TVs in each room, which was a blessing when it rained for 3 days straight! There is a nice lounge to relax in, and you can get snacks from the restaurant throughout the day. We ate a couple of nights in the restaurant, where there was a good thali. I would suggest, however, that the hotel should really make the most of the setting, and perhaps expand the outside area of the restaurant onto the small grassy area by the lily pond, and adorn tables with tealights and flowers and really work on the quality of the food. I believe that this way they would attract people to eat here that are not guests at the hotel. It would be a simple and inexpensive thing to do and the night experience at the hotel would be wonderful.

We had a day trip with a driver and guide organised by the hotel, which was a really great experience!!

The room we were in was big, but very very dark, with poor lighting. Also, when it rained, the rain leaked through the walls of the room and there were very large damp patches on the walls. This does need sorting out and it meant we didn't want to spend much time in the room because it was damp and dark.

I would say that for the quality of the room the price of the hotel is a little high - we stayed in similar and better hotels with similarly nice settings for less money. It was also a little way out of town, so you had to organise means of transport in. However, the gardens and the effort the staff of the hotel put into making it a nice stay for us meant we weren't too worried. Perhaps the hotel should offer more towels and a slightly lower rate and then it would be perfect :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Serbian first
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed October 18, 2013

If you like to stay for a nice and quiet bungalow experience, this is the place to stay. Really liked the property. Rooms are quite hidden in the garden and a very nice sit out just outside the room. Quite well located from the main market and the fort. Decent food and moderate price. Try getting a room in the first floor if possible. Room is very spacious and the toilet is as big. The owner welcomed me by my first name the moment I entered the reception, he does his homework well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was a cool oasis in a very hot climate. Our room was tucked away at the back of the property and initially there was building going on next door - sledge hammer non stop! There were also ants in the bathroom, but I was able to get a staff member to spray them and they weren't a problem after that. Apart from that, the staff were friendly, the gardens and pool beautiful and the bed comfortable. Quite a good place overall - quaint is a good description!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
India
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Devi Bhawan is located a short distance away from the main market area of Jodhpur which is a huge advantage as you are spared the noise. Its location amidst lush gardens is something which has an added advantage. If you like greenery, you can spend a good amount of time in the garden. It is a small family run property so you get your moments of solitude. We stayed in the standard room but as we were there only to sleep, we did not face any problems. The pool is an added delight especially in summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Avid1_Traveller
Gießen
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I already wrote I revise for this hotel. But today a wired story happened there.
After 9 days I was checking out and paid my bill cash. After paying I still had a bundle of Rupees in my pocket. I went back to my room and took a nap because I had still some time before I had to leave.
On my way to the airport I got a call from Rekesh (the manager) that I left money in the room - the boy found 25.000 Rupees. I was confused and thought this must be the money which was still in my pocket after I had paid and it slipped out during my nap. What honest guys! I told the driver to turn back, took the money and gave the boy a good tip.
In the evening I counted my money and came to the conclusion that I have much more than I was supposed to have. I called Rakesh and wanted him to ask the boy once more where he found the money, if it was really in my room and so on. We found out that the boys found the money in my room already the first day after my arrival under my pillow. They let it there each day when they made the room and thought that this was my vault (good one!). But it was not under my pillow. It was under the pillow of the second bed which I never have touched… The guest who had the room before must have left it there.
25.000 Rupees is a lot of money and you can imagine the temptation the boys had to stand each day. In any hotel in the world this money would have been gone - at latest after I had left. This is a proof that you can absolutely trust the guys from this hotel and a new reason why I book there again and again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stefan_Foster
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 9, 2013

After looking a loads and loads of places we settled on Devi Bhawan in Jodhpur. And we are so glad we did. It's a quaint little property with the perfect number of rooms, which helps maintain the calm and peaceful surroundings. The rooms are very clean and the lovely. Brightly decorated keeping with the Rajasthani style. The staff is extremely helpful, we arrived at 6 am from Jaipur and they had the room ready for :) The food is lovely and we had a nice quiet candle lit dinner one night and that has to be my favorite dinner from our rajasthan travels. If I go back to Jodhpur, I would definitely stay at Devi Bhawan again. It has the nice old world charm of a family run and personal guest house and the staff and facilities are that of a hotel ! perfect blend! It is a little far from the main Jodhpur area and the market and the fort but its so peaceful that we really didn't mind it! Awesome awesome value for money!

Room Tip: We stayed at the Standard rooms and it was really nice, but the deluxe room looked lovely :)