“Wow ! Put this on your bucket list”

Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur
Ranked #1 of 100 Hotels in Jodhpur
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Wow ! Put this on your bucket list”
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

From your first glimpse of the palace you will be enchanted, and as you get closer you will be blown away. Such an interesting building. The welcome as you arrive sets the tone. Service in all departments is excellent. I don't want to say too much as the enjoyment is in exploring, and experiencing it all for yourself. Absolutely first class, do not miss this rare gem.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WilliamRose2000
VincentRamos, General Manager at Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Sir,

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest during your recent visit to Jodhpur.

On behalf of the entire team at Umaid Bhawan Palace, we are so pleased that you were able to experience our hotel and enjoy the high service and quality levels upon which we pride ourselves.

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future!

Vincent Ramos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed March 7, 2014

One of the largest and grandest private residences in the world, recently renovated by the Taj Group. In 26 acres, the gardens are beautiful and the swimming pool sits above the surrounding countryside with great views across to the Mehrangarh fort.
We booked a Palace room which was excellent until we saw the view across partial gardens and the car park area. This was changed for a far superior room with two balconies one of which faced the main gardens and a bathroom to die for. In fairness the change was made with no fuss and good grace - appreciated.
The museum is well worth a visit and there is a small collection of vintage cars.
Service and food were both excellent and the welcome of drums, trumpets and rose petals was something else. A must stay if you're in Jodphur.
A major wedding celebration took place while we were there where the gardens were transformed by hundreds of workers with a centre stage of flowers, live statues and thousands of candles. We were excited to see it but were glad we experienced the gardens before the work began. Take a visit to the Bishnoi village if you have time. A fascinating people and very welcoming.

1 Thank JamesRH
VincentRamos, General Manager at Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, responded to this review, March 7, 2014

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

Thank you for taking out your valuable time to share such wonderful feedback with the travelers. I am so happy that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us.

It is feedback such as your which enables us to measure and improve our performance in our quest of providing you luxury hospitality and motivates us to achieve higher levels of service.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have stayed at the Umaid Bhawan Palace twice (first time only over night and for dinner and the second occasion and most recent for 5 days) during our tour of Rajasthan.

During our tour (Delhi, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur then Mumbai) our levels of delight and enjoyment just kept getting better and better.

Of special mention is the Umaid Bhawan Palace in Jodhpur... a truly magical experience. The beautiful sandstone buildings with wonderful art deco touches are surpassed only by the better than the best guest relations and customer care. From your personal butler through to the gardeners and waiting staff the Palace staff are discreet, unobtrusive but always always there to attend to your every wish.

My partner and I were travelling on our 25th anniversary and as part of our planning the trip we wanted to ensure that the night of our actual anniversary was spent at the Palace. Unknown to use the Palace organised a very special dinner - that will be listed as the most romantic experiences we have ever shared.

I cannot commend strongly enough the beautiful gardens, luxury of the Palace and the hospitality of all the staff at the Palace.

Our hesitancy in revisiting has only been fuelled by not wanting to forget the wonderful memories of our last visit.

Being well travelled (and now in my forties) I have come to appreciate a very small number of hotels around the world where I can honestly say I enjoy and look forward to visiting. The Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur is most certainly top of this list, and we will revisit again soon, and in the meantime I recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

I am so humbled and delighted to hear your fantastic review from your most recent stay with us. As General Manager it makes me so happy to hear that not only our location and services were a success, but that our staff could make your stay go above and beyond.

Thank you for choosing Umaid Bhawan Palace as the venue for an occasion as special as your 25th Wedding Anniversary. It is our constant endavour to make guests feel special like a Maharani/ Maharaja during their stay and we hope we could achieve the same with you.

We look forward to being your home away from home for many more years to come.

Abu Dhabi
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed at The Umaid Bhawan Palace as part of our tour around Rajasthan. All our other properties were Oberoi but as there is no Oberoi in Jodhpur, we chose this Taj property & we are so glad we did as it was simply superb. The website photos just don't do it justice. You have to experience it to believe it - it was that good.

Our arrival was beyond impressive - welcome band, flower garland & a glass of champagne as you are whisked off into the stunning domed reception hall whilst a member of staff takes a photo that you are later given as a gift. Check in is effortless & done in your room by the wonderfully friendly & helpful staff.

The public areas are totally gorgeous with gentle music playing & the aroma of scented candles & flowers. We were upgraded to a Heritage Suite which was very large & with an enormous marble bathroom. The suites are all slightly different & feature original Art Deco furnishings. For us, Art Deco is our least favourite design style but that is just a personal thing & to be fair we couldn't fault the quality & space.

The service is simply second to none and not at all stuffy. Bhopal (in the restaurant) was an absolute delight, going out of his way to make sure we were all taken care of. Nothing was too much trouble - he even packed us a delicious picnic box because we had a long journey on our departure day.

The restaurants were both excellent. Having dinner on the terrace at the top of the magnificent steps overlooking the grounds was a magical experience as was dinner at the speciality Indian restaurant. We felt that the prices were very reasonable compared to the Oberoi but that the quality of food was far better. Breakfast on the terrace (with complimentary Champagne) whilst surrounded by peacocks & listening to a flautist playing in a neighbouring pavilion is a great start to any day!

We swam in the indoor pool in the vaulted basement but not the outdoor pool which was too chilly for us. The grounds are immaculate & the view of the distant Meherengah Fort is very special.

We were with another couple that were celebrating their Silver Wedding anniversary & we were all treated royally (I won't say exactly what so as not to spoil the surprise) but you will not be disappointed if you are celebrating something special. Their generosity was nothing short of incredible.

Having stayed at many of the very best hotels worldwide, we were still totally unprepared for our experience at Umaid Bhawan Palace. It really is in a league of its own. Our thanks to all the wonderful staff that made our stay so special & we look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: If you like Art Deco you will be in heaven in any room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Viincent R, General Manager at Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, responded to this review, March 5, 2014

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

Thank you so much for taking out your valuable time to share such a great review with everyone. I am really happy to know through your comments that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here and were able to take advantage of all the amenities offered, be it the Zodiac pool, the early morning breakfast at picturesque Pillars or celebrating the special occasions.

I have taken the liberty to communicate your feedback to my entire team at the hotel. I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence. Nothing can delight us more than a satisfied guest. We at the Taj continuously strive and try to improve ourselves in order to provide the best experience to our guests every time they stay with us.

Looking forward to your continued patronage and assuring you of our best attention and service at all times. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to our lovely hotel once again.

Larkspur, CA
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Breathtaking, where every guest is treated like royalty. Greeted with trumpets and drums, rose petals on the red carpet, and champagne in the rotunda while waiting to be escorted to our room for check in. Our room was over the outdoor restaurant with a balcony with lounge chairs and a stunning view of the lawns and magnificent landscaping. One morning when I opened the drapes I found a peacock sitting on the wall of the balcony! And each morning I opened the window to hear the flautist playing from the lawn. What truly impressed me was the intuitive service we received in every area: I had moved the tissues from on end of the vanity to the middle so it easily accessible to both my friend and me. When we returned from breakfast, the tissue was moved back to it's original place, but another box had been placed at the other end--we each had our own. At breakfast one morning, I had pulled a tissue from my pocket to blow my nose. Within seconds, a box of tissue appeared on the table. When I shivered in the cool morning air, a shawl was placed around my shoulders. Needless to say, everything is spotless, beautiful and cared for. I could not see a single thing that was missing, or a single improvement that could be made. PERFECT!! a truly amazing place.

Room Tip: I saw only the rooms we had, but I cannot imagine that they are not all superb.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarinTraveler0
Viincent R, General Manager at Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Ma'am,

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

I would like to thank you for taking out your valuable time to write such an amazing review for the fellow travelers.

It gives me immense pleasure to know that you had such a beautiful experience and all your needs were anticipated before you could ask for them. I am really proud to have such a caring and hard working team for the guests with me.

I have taken the liberty to share your compliments with my team and they are equally happy to know about your experience.

We hope you will give us another chance to call you our guest in the future as well!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

A Royal Experience

When we arrived at the Umaid Bhawan Palace we felt like we were Royalty arriving to visit the Maharaja. We were greeted to the sound of trumpets and drums, rose petals were sprinkled on the red carpet as we walked in. It is the Maharaja’s traditional welcome for his visitors for more than 200 years. This is just the start of the spectacular service you are going to receive throughout your stay.

The Palace is a breath taking grand building of enormous dimensions and tasteful design, the Art Deco style runs throughout the Palace. We had a seamless in room check in experience.
Our Royal Suite had the most exquisite Art Deco furnishing and fixtures, overlooking the beautiful landscape gardens and swimming pool. The suite was as grand as the Palace with a spacious separate sitting area, copious dressing room, huge bathroom and a luxurious bedroom leading on to a massive balcony with two sitting areas. The air-conditioning system throughout the suite was very effective, the shower was both big and powerful. The whole suite was kept spotless and always smelt nice during our stay.
As we strolled around the Palace we noticed that all areas were kept immaculately clean and polished with a wonderful aroma of jasmine.

The Palace museum is well worth a visit if you are interested to learn more about the Maharajas of Jodhpur and the history of the Palace.If you are an antique car enthusiast don’t forget to ask for your private tour inside the garage of the Maharaja were you will see the inside and details of the most exquisite old cars.We would advise you to book an extra night in Jodhpur to have a full day taking photos and enjoying this magnificent Palace, you won’t be disappointed.

The staff in all areas of the Palace will do absolutely anything for you to feel like a real royal guest, they are all extremely friendly, efficient and very well trained to anticipate all your needs. We couldn’t possibly fault the service provided at this Palace, worth mentioning Mandeep Singh Ahluwalia, housekeeping, security guards, restaurant staff and the pool staff.

The food at the Palace is fresh and is very well prepared, their attention to details is next to none. vegetarians and people who are intolerant to spicy food won’t find any trouble, as the chefs will go an extra mile to cater for your specific needs.

If you want to go somewhere unique, then choose the Umaid Bhawan Palace and feel like a Maharaja...

1 Thank Tamara-Chris
Viincent R, General Manager at Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, responded to this review, March 2, 2014

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

Thank you so much for sharing your outstanding experience at Umaid Bhawan Palace with fellow travelers. I am pleased to note that the experience at the Palace met your expectations and that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us.

I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and effort in sharing such a detailed and thoughtful feedback as it enables us to measure and improve our performance in our quest of providing you luxury hospitality.

It is comments such as yours that make me proud to be a member of this team. I will make it a point to share your review with the team as I am sure they would love to know about how fabulous your experience was.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Southend-on-Sea, England
Reviewed February 28, 2014

What more can I say other than that this hotel must surely be one of the most stunningly beautiful properties in the World - and my wife and I have stayed at quite a few of the very best !

From the moment the musicians greet you upon arrival, the petals are thrown over you as you walk up the steps, and the garlands of flowers are hung around your neck (I know it sounds tacky but it's lovely once in a while !) you will feel like Royalty.

The service is excellent the setting and ambience of the entire hotel - particularly the outside restaurant is just amazing and the pool areas both inside and outside are lovely.

Nothing else to add - just don't hesitate to stay here if you ever get the chance because you won't regret it and definitely try to stay in a room overlooking the gardens if possible.

Room Tip: Stay in a room overlooking the gardens if possible
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Viincent R, General Manager at Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Sir,

Greetings from Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur!

We are glad to note that the service and facilities rendered by our team were to your satisfaction and we met your expectations.

It was a pleasure to receive your valuable feedback. We have conveyed your gratitude to our whole team and we are certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for us in achieving higher standards of excellence towards guest satisfaction.

We look ahead to have many more moments like these at Umaid Bhawan Palace as it is a privilege for us to be of service to guests like you,

Warm Regards,