“Beautiful charming guesthouse with great views and friendly staff”

Juna Mahal Boutique Homestay
Ranked #15 of 154 Specialty Lodging in Jodhpur
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful charming guesthouse with great views and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

A friend and I stayed at this hotel for one night an absolutely loved it! The architecture and decor of the home alone is worth the stay. The place is completely immaculate with beautiful rooms, great AC, fans and very nice bathrooms and showers. It's a short autorickshaw ride from the clock tower and fort (short walk to the back entrance) and there's a shop on the corner for snacks and bottled water. Rooftop views are beautiful (I saw monkeys on a house across the way) and our stay was nice an quiet. The staff was great, from a warm masala chai tea welcome, to storing our luggage after checkout. They even let us have a shower post-checkout after a log day at the fort. Overall, highly recommended - it made our trip to Jodhpur.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Juna Mahal and can highly recommend. The hotel is in the old city and you need to take an auto rickshaw to get there as cars won't fit into the lane but ride alone to the hotel is an experience! Easy to get auto rickshaws to go around from the hotel for cheap.

My impressions:
- Clean rooms
- Nice decor, good air conditioner
- Modern and clean bathrooms
- Friendly family that runs it
- Beautiful roof top terrace (food is ok and could be better - vegetarian only)
- Good night sleep (not sure about the noise complaints from other reviewers we had no noise problems at all)
- Great value for money

Note
- If you have difficulties climbing stars probably not the best place

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LubnaniLondon
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

The professional photos for this home stay persuaded me to book this havelli for 3 nights, giving us 2 whole days in Jodhpur. What the photos didn't convey was the unpleasant area it was situated in and the shock/horror of arriving through filth-ridden streets and then walking up a narrow alleyway with open drain and the odd rat. Our first impression of this albeit beautiful building was that I'd made a terrible mistake. On arrival a young lad pointed to a chair, we sat down, he didn't speak English (fare enough), but his manner was abrupt and he was indifferent to us. After pointing out our names from his exercise book and us confirming that yes, that was us (and giving us a bottle of water), he left us in the hallway and completely ignored our existence. This was 6pm and we were exhausted after a long drive from Udaipur....and he was in absolutely no hurry to show us to our room. In fact he seemed surprised when we asked to be taken to it. When we finally got up to it he just handed over a padlock and key to the door and that was it...he was off! The room was great. Clean and stylish (just like the photos). Very comfortable beds. We had wooden shutters which had to be kept shut because of mosquitos etc. This made the room dark and claustrophobic. Television didn't work. No room service, even though it was advertised in the room...no telephone. Hey ho, we didn't need those things anyway but I still felt I'd made a mistake. Roof top terrace afforded good view of the fort. Omelettes/pancakes/tea delicious. Abrupt service. We treated the situation and same young lad (who seemed to be doing everything single handedly...waiting, cooking, not welcoming guests!!) with humour until we got a smile from him. Breakthrough!! We stayed 2 nights, leaving a day early. You only need one day in Jodhpur with which to visit the majestic fort. Jodhpur itself is a sprawling dirty mess, not pleasant to walk around so we didn't hang about. If I had to describe this accommodation I would say top-end backpackers joint/guesthouse. "Homestay" has cosy connotations of living closely with a family. We saw no one else during our stay even though we heard them. Never again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SUSEYG
Paris
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at Juna Mahal for 3 nights during a road trip in Radjasthan. If you want to stay in a nice Boutique hotel for an affordable price go for it. The decoration is great and the room equipped with old wooden furniture with modern comfort (LCD screen, clean bathroom with plenty of hot water). It's a clean place renovated recently, with a charming atmosphere and the roof top terrace offers an amazing view on beautiful Jodhpur. HOWEVER I would like to highlight some facts that made that I won't stay there again :

- It's well located in the earth of the old city but I may be very difficult to find as all these small streets look the same and there is no signage. They can pick you up at the station if you ask in advance but make sure that you get a confirmation from them, I had to contact them several times before getting an answer. My train from Jaipur arrived in Jodhpur at 2am with a delay of 8 hours. I managed to inform them through mail about this delay and was met at the station by a tuk tuk. However when I arrived in front of the house all doors were closed and I had to ring for 15 minutes before someone shows up to open me. I was met by one of the owner who clearly made me understand that I wasn't welcome. She literally shout at me "you are late so you sit down and you give me you passport!", not a way to welcome guest even in the middle of the night. This place is owned by an Indian family who live in the same building but which is not behaving as "profesionals": no smiles during the whole stay, they children are screaming in the stairs during the whole days, one of the owner's scooter was parked in the hallway... The hotel in itself is great but the service terrible.

- The second main downward is the noise. I stayed in room Lord Natraj and haven't been able to catch a lot of sleep during my stay. Even with earplug I couldn't sleep : people singing in the streets at 4:30 am, religious processions during the whole night... The hotel is stuck between two streets and has common walls with local houses causing a lot of noise at any time of the day or night. Avoid Juna Mahal if you want some rest.

With a great service and less noise the experience at Juna Mahal could have been perfect but it's a shame to stay in such a beautifull setting and not being able to have a rest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Though a little far from the main bazaar this place has a character of its own. We traveled in the month of March'12 and though we could not get a booking directly from the hotel we got one from Expedia. And all the effort for the booking seemed all worth it when we entered the room. Built in a old haveli with 4-5 rooms, it was so charming. The room was very neat and well maintained. The staff was courteous and humble. Though we didn't eat much, but from what we ate -> the food was simple and nice.
Overall a satisfying experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I choose this haveli based on a recommendation. Although I got messed about a little bit as my booked room wasn't available, I nonetheless had a very pleasant stay. The room was clean and well appointed with some fantastic touches which made it feel entirely authentic; the baubles on the ceiling make sense after your tour of the fort! The restaurant has an unimpeded view of the fort, although its the somewhat less glamorous side of it (i.e. you can't see the palaces, just feel the imposing scale of the walls). The food was really good and the service polite. There was an autorickshaw waiting for me despite my 5.30am arrival on the day, and someone woke up to greet me at the door, can't ask for more really.

You are an easy walk to either the main tourist haunts and the rear entrance to the fort. It was a relatively peaceful location though by Indian standards and it was so much more pleasant being away from the primary tourist traps.

Room Tip: The Ganesh suite has the best views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank XanderLexington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

The people that runs this little boutique hotel did a REALLY good job!i travelled the world and this place, for his price it's really well worth it. In a little alley of chaotic Jodpur you'll find this old charming building away from the noise.only 5 very nice room, super clean, new with nice furniture and tasteful details.the bed is very comfortable and I had one of the best sleep in my long trip to India.
A lot of places are nice and then they have a awful sterile lighting, this place has a beautiful romantic and cozy light and you really feel like at home. Nice rooftop with amazing view and the food is soooooo good (and clean).The owner is a very nice man with a lovely family.he will help you with everything you need like he did with us.and hey, for those that are annoyed but some beautiful religious chanting and slightly noise from some local traffic, go on holiday to south of France not to Jodhpur! I ensure you everybody that this place is very quite and I had an amazing sleep.
So if you stay in the old city, this is the place!

• Stayed March 2013