“Fun cooking in Jodhpur”
Review of Spice Paradise

Spice Paradise
Ranked #7 of 76 Shopping in Jodhpur
More attraction details
Owner description: Family-operated spice shop that offers daily cooking classes, featuring homemade recipes and spice mixes that showcase the cuisines of India. Become part of our family while you learn about Indian food, traditions, and culture.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

During our recent trip to Jodhpur we participated in a good cooking class offered by Spice Paradise, just a few minutes walk past Sardar Market towards Manak Chowk. We enjoyed our experience here and would gladly recommend this activity to visitors spending a few days in the Blue City.

The class started with a short Ayurveda lecture by Anil, followed by a cooking class by his wife Reika in a kitchen/food preparation area that was created in the back room of their family shop, called Spice Paradise. Our class started around 10am and lasted just over 5 hours, during which time we learned to prepare Masala Chai tea, a special Makhani Lassi, a fantastic Briyani dish, an Indian dal, a very yummy Shahi Paneer as well as chapati and naan bread.

This was more a group cooking class except for the chapati which everyone had the chance to make. Ingredients were all fresh and we used filtered water preparing all drinks, dishes and breads. Obviously, there was much sampling and eating of everything made during the course and we left with rather full bellies.

There were a few ways the Spice Paradise cooking class could have been improved that are worth note. First, we were 6 in the class which was less ideal for maneuvering in the kitchen area as it was relatively small. Also, there was only a small toilet facility, also located in one corner of the kitchen, not ideal when the kitchen area is full and potentially a cause for hygiene concerns. Finally, the kitchen doubles as additional shop space for their spices, so interruptions by shop buyers were not uncommon. This contributed to the course running over 5 hours when it probably could have been done in just 4 to 4.5 hours if being conducted more efficiently.

Still, we thought this was a fun and enjoyable experience and something we'd recommend to fellow travelers and we'd be happy to try again as well. Plus the Spice Paradise version of makhania lassi (which they taught us to make) was our favorite of the makhania lassis tried in Jodhpur!

Reservation Hint:
We made walk-in reservations two days prior to the class. We did notice that during the course, several sets of walk-in visitors arrived hoping to sign up for a class on the day or the next, but could not be accommodated for the proper class, indicating the popularity of Spice Paradise. So best to make reservations at least 2-3 days in advance if you want to ensure your spot in one of their cooking courses.

4  Thank BradJill
in 5 reviews
"lovely family"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The teacher is a kind woman named Reika. The cooking lesson is at her home, which is not big or lux but very warm. I felt I was her guest rather than her student. The price is 1000 rupee a person for about 5 hours. The menu include raita, lassi, curry, biryani, dal fry, 2 teas, 4 breads. In my lesson, 6 students shared one cook but everyone has enough chances to try, so you are sure to learn and remember. The finished foods is so delicious that I think they are better than in restaurant. Maybe that's because Reika's material is fresh and good.

Reika also sells various spices in her house.

Reika said there is very few Chinese customer in her lesson. I promised her to tell more Chinese friend there is a wonderful place in Jodhpur, Spice Paradise.

If you go, you'd better make a reservation before 1 or 2 days.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I came in here with my sister and husband to buy some spices to take back home and ended up sitting down while she taught us how to make real chai masala, and chatted for a while! I came back again the next day to buy some more spices and each time Reika was so lovely. She's the most gentle, warm person you can ever meet. Next time I'm in Jodhpur I'll definitely do a cooking class here! She has so many spices for you to take home (all sealed so customs - even in Australia! - don't have a problem with them), with instructions on how to use them. Their masala chai is amazing!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The food is the most delicious, and the hosts are delightful! I took the cooking course after having known and loved Rekha and her family for a few weeks while interning in Jodhpur last year. I was truly charmed by Rekha and Anil's shop, and their family. While I'd tasted some of her food before, I hadn't realised just how subtle and flavoursome it was until I took the cooking course, and was just blown away by the experience.

Even further to the taste of the food, the hospitality and kindness they show to everyone who passes through, and their children felt like my sisters by the time I left the city. Rekha is a strong, ambitious, talented and yet humble woman, with a great sense of humour and the desire to share her love of food and passion for cooking with everyone. Her recipes and spices are creative and original, and the teaching is informal, accommodating and involves plenty of sampling! :)

2  Thank T R
See more reviews
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Had a fantastic day with my husband and a lovely young man called Andrea from italy cooking up a storm with the delightful Reika. We always try to fit in a cooking experience wherever we go in the world and this one was great fun. We shared laughs, stories, cultural tit bits and most of all had a cracking time. Reika is a lovely person who made us feel very much at home in her company and was a great teacher. We learned to make a number of indian delights and got to eat them all too which was a great bonus. I was so touched with the warmth and hospitality at this place and we were soooo pleased that we took the time out from forts and temples to go here in Jodhpur!!! Thanks to the Kumars for making our day special :)

1  Thank milbster