“Amazing house”
Review of Hem Guest House

Hem Guest House
Ranked #37 of 194 Jodhpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2012

After 3 weeks in India, we can say that this was the best place we've come across with.
rooms were extremely well decorated and clean.
It's run by a very friendly family.
It has a lovely rooftop with amazing views to the fort where you can eat and relax.
Food was also very good, homemade.
To sum up we strongly recommend this guest house if you are visiting Jodhpur.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ACG187493

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here at the end of August and it was a truly wonderful experience. The family that owns and runs the B&B are very friendly and try very hard to make you feel right at home, which I did. The room was very comfortable as was the bed. The a/c worked very well and bathroom even though small had a good shower (there was no shelf to put your stuff on), and like the room, was very clean. They have a roof top area for dinning which had the best view of the fort. They are a Jain family so they are strict vegans, so don't expect even eggs for breakfast. I also had dinner there and it was very excellent and was a reasonable price. It is not a far walk to the clock tower/market area and to the Fort, however, it can be confusing as the streets are very winding with no street signs. I did walk to the Fort but took a tuk-tuk back to save time and it was hot. Bring water!! I highly recommend the guest house for either solo or couple, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank songoflife
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at Hem in early March as a solo traveler on two separate occasions of a total of 2 nights. I greatly appreciated the very personal experience offered by the family and the location of the guesthouse. Needless to say, the view from the roof terrace of the Fort is magnificent. In a nice day, you could just seat up there marveling the view and watching the day go by through the change of shades over the Fort. But there is more, you can do so while sipping chai and ordering drinks and snack food from the kitchen. Yes, this is where you can enjoy three meals a day, cooked by Rishi's mom. The room may be basic but tastefully decorated and bed is very comfortable. The location is excellent, surrounded by shops and markets, and 10 minutes walk to the main market. I walked from the house to the Fort twice, going through narrow lanes and receiving VIP attention from local kids, all so beautiful inside out. The host family is a true embodiment of the lovely city of Jodhpur, simple, warm, unpretentious, proud, and full of energy. The stays at Hem Guest House made Jodhpur my favorite city in Rajasthan!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank desertsprings
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Just a quick night here between Delhi and Jaisalmer, but we enjoyed every bit...Vipin and Rishi were such friendly hosts, whom we loved talking with. They helped us to make the most of our day in Jodhpur and then welcomed us back with a delicious dinner on the rooftop terrace, with beautiful views of the fort. We had a 5 am train the next morning, but they were up and had chai and a small breakfast ready for us. True hospitality!

Just an FYI if it's important: Wi-fi access was spotty but they did make an effort to get me connected.

Room Tip: Our room was very nice...they didn't have any rooms with two beds but it was fine for a night...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Hem Guesthouse for 3 nights in feb 2012. Rishi and Vishnu and their family made our stay wonderful.. Especially cute baby, Ladoo! We really liked the family run aspect of the guesthouse. The food made by Rishi's mother and wife was delicious and so was the chai which they gave you in nice big mugs! Rishi took us to his factory outlet stores and showed us where to buy good souvenirs. He even helped me with organizing shipping things home. I can't praise this family enough for running such a great guest house. I would go back to jodhpur just to stay there!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Ahbehrens
Reviewed July 2, 2012

i highly recommend this as a place to stay in Jodhpur. The family are so kind and helpful and will look after you really well! The roof terrace has probably best view of the fort and we ate at the guest house both nights of our stay and had delicious home cooked meals on both occasions.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dee P
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is one of those instances, where the business is dependent more on foreigners than locals as , although the hosts were very nice, but they did not deliver as promised.
First the good - room is excellent, bathroom very clean, you have some view of the fort from the tiny balcony.
The stay included breakfast, we explained to the family that we would be leaving at 8 AM to see the fort and needed the breakfast before 8 AM, the family went out for a wedding party the night before and did not come back until late,hence when we left the house in the morning, everyone was asleep and we had to buy our breakfast from elsewhere. They did not even apologize or make up for it in any way.
Second instance which bothers me still is, My trousers got wet, as their bathroom did not have a stopper for water and it can leak out of the door, I left the trousers on the suitcase to dry, in the afternoon when we came to pick the suitcase, the trousers were not there, probably moved by someone who came to clean the room etc. the owner promised to mail me the trousers to an address in Mumbai. but never actually sent them. I was really unhappy about it, but overall great place.

One more thing. Its very painful to get here, the house is in the middle of the old city, cars cannot come via the narrow lanes, so something to keep in mind when travelling with luggage.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple