“Taj but Wah Taj missing”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Ummed Jodhpur

The Ummed Jodhpur
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Jodhpur
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Taj but Wah Taj missing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a Taj property so I sort of blindly booked it for my Rajasthan Holiday but after staying I really feel whether I can really say Wah Taj ?

Don't get me wrong..the hotel is good, rooms are nice but you would expect something more from the Taj Brand.

Check in was smooth. We had opted for Superior Rooms but honestly the superior room felt like the ordinary room (floor had no carpets). On checking with the reception they said the difference between ordinary room and superior rooms was in superior room they provided cookies and fruits...So when asked where are the cookies and fruits...they said it would be sent shortly. On the 2nd day and 3rd day of the stay, no cookies no fruits placed in the room....

Bathroom was small. They only had a bathtub but that was too cramped it is good for kids only. No separate shower area. Water from bath tub once spilt would leave the entire bathroom wet and slippery...on the 2nd day we called the housekeeping just to clean the bathroom as the water was not draining /drying

In the name of indoor games they had one table chess placed below the staircase with chess pieces missing. Same was for the carom. No kids play area.

They had a huge lawn and garden but broken swing. The swimming pool was non function during our stay of 3 days. The water in the pool was dirty.

Food was ok. Other Taj properties have better food spread. The staff / waiter in the restaurant were polite, helpful and gracious but unfortunately the staff vs guest ratio resulted in delays.

The Noodles were marked as Vegetarian in their buffet but on checking whether we can get Jain noodles, they informed us that the Noodles have egg in it ! So when we asked why is the Noodles displayed with a green dot... they said it was a mistake... The same thing happened on the 3rd day and again when I pointed this out they changed the display with a Red Dot. Not expected from TAJ brand.

The way leading to the restaurant has a magician seated who is actually rude to you and the kids if you dont shell out handsome tips... a mood spoiler in the 5 star hotel....

So overall not worth the money spent. I am sure Taj can do better and not let their standards and reputation down.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
GatewayJodhpur, General Manager at The Ummed Jodhpur, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Jodhpur!

I would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. At the outset please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I was extremely perturbed to know about the points mentioned by you and have taken the matter very seriously with the concerned departmental heads especially pertaining to the noodles on the buffet station, the non availability of amenities in the superior rooms, the pool and the swing as well as the recreation facilities I have also commenced a revisit of our brand standards and checklists to ensure these lapses on our part do not occur again.
was aghast to note that there has been a behavorial issue that has come to light, irrespective
that as a hospitality major that emphasises greatly on courtesy , responsiveness and warmth amongst its training for the associates, especially thefront line team,this kind of an issue is simply unthinkable. owever, I would greatly obliged if you could elaborate a little more on thesubject especialy the interaction and the apearanceof the associate so that it could aid us in our quest to identify the root cause .
It is of great importance to us when a guest takes time to let us know about our product and services which you recently experienced. It is only in this way that we are able to step back from our day to day operations and look at any comments-both constructive and positive to ensure that we make the necessary changes in our operations and that this does not happen again.

Indranil Ray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was without doubt the worst hotel on our recent trip to Rajahstan.Its advertised as 5star,not whilst I live and breathe.Holiday inn quality at best.Rooms ok but not 5star.The welcome was cold and uninviting.Restaurant poor,order off the a la carte,we waited 45mins one evening and 1 I/4hrs following night.Service patchy evening and breakfast.Pool service was non-existent.The hotel has no ambience and is just a drop off for group tours.There are Havelis and genuine5stars in Jodhpur,why stay there?Be warned,keep away,it tones down your holiday.Just to let you know that the problem there is bad management,we stayed at the Gateway in Varanasi having a different experience.They even allowed people in the grounds harassing you for tips,as though you haven't had enough during the day.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GatewayJodhpur, General Manager at The Ummed Jodhpur, responded to this review, November 25, 2013

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel, Jodhpur!
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronizing The Gateway Hotel, Jodhpur in course of your short stay during your brief stopover at Jodhpur.
We are in receipt of their feedback and are quiet disturbed at the inconvenience caused and would like to offer our sincere apologies for the same.

I was extremely perturbed to know about the points mentioned by you and have taken the matter very seriously with the concerned departmental heads and have initiated corrective action. I have also commenced a revisit of our brand standards and checklists to ensure these lapses on our part do not occur again.

It is of great importance to us when a guest takes time to let us know about our product and services which one has recently experienced. It is only in this way that we are able to step back from our day to day operations and look at any comments-both constructive and positive to ensure that we make the necessary changes in our operations and that this does not happen again.

Your patronage to The Gateway Hotel Jodhpur is extremely important to us and I request you to kindly treat this incident as an aberration. I look forward to meeting up with you during your next stay with us and assure you of our finest services at all times.
Surat, Gujarat, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

this was one of the best hotel in rajasthan. pure 5 stars facilities. awesome hospitality specially by the GM Mr Indranil Ray, I've traveled through world, but what respect he gave through out the stay was amazing. i was not keeping well one day, he had a concern & asked the chef to make khicddi for me specially. that was wonderful . my kids loved the place. its a huge property.

Room Tip: swimming pool side are awesome.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Jodhpur!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing The Gateway Hotel Jodhpur for your recent stay.

I sincerely hope that along with the entire team we met your expectations in accommodation and services and were able to serve you with the highest degree of professionalism.. I truly wonder whether we were actually able to delight you with a seamless service experience.

It has been our constant endeavor to provide consistent service in order to exceed your expectations.

I, along with my seniorgreatly value your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, in the near future and assure you of our best attention and services.
Indranil Ray
Please share your feedback with us.
Surat, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights last year..the hotel is 6-7 kms far from jodhpur...but it is very big and good for stay..they have big gardens and a large swimming pool..the food is good too...the rooms are large and maintained quite well...overall no complaints...one can easily pick it for stay...

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GatewayJodhpur, General Manager at The Ummed Jodhpur, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear sir,
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Jodhpur!

I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Gateway Hotel Jodhpur for the stay that was undertaken one year ago. I would als like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us

We hope we met your expectations in accommodation and services and were able to serve you with the highest degree of professionalism.

While perusing through you review,I was delighted to note your appreciation pertaining to our landscaped greens, the magnificience of nature especially thebeauty of the presence of peacocks , the quality and taste of food. Have conveyed your compiments to the entire team and the were thorouglydelighted.
Have also noted the observations pertaining to the placement of amenities and fresh flowers.

I greatly value your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, in the near future and assure you of our best attention and services.
Kindest Regards,
New Delhi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

5 star prestige is fading away. all the staff needs to be changed. hotel needs renovation. i have been to several 5star hotels in Rajasthan, and the only thing which i take back is great hospitality. however, this has been my worst experience overall and that's because of the poor attitude of restaurant staff. whatever you ask for.. you get but a feeling of disrespect you get every time, like things are being thrown at you. after having word with the Supervisor our last two days were up to the mark in terms of services & food. Location is great & very peaceful with lots of peacocks at pool area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Gurgaon, Haryana, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Excellent hotel to have peaceful holidays,spacious rooms..provides all amenities from gym to pool table to sports gear. The food in this hotel is excellent; i suggest to leave it to chef… they made special effort to ensure children’s get what they like and adults can enjoy the traditional meals..
ofcourse Hotel has has huge ground if you wish to have some outdoor activities. Nice size pool.

I will have to give it to General Manager as everyone in the hotel were courteous and seems to enjoying welcoming and serving guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GatewayJodhpur, General Manager at The Ummed Jodhpur, responded to this review, November 12, 2013

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Jodhpur!

I hope we met your expectations in accommodation and services and were able to serve you with the highest degree of professionalism.

Kindest regards,
Vadodara, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Excellent Location Spacious and Elegant Rooms and Services . Good family Hotel and within proximity to Jodhpur City . Next Choice definitely for family vacations . and location is definitely better than Taj Harimahal for stay with all amenities.

Room Tip: All Rooms are having Excellent Locations
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family