“Sub standard compared to other Taj properties”
Review of The Ummed Jodhpur

The Ummed Jodhpur
Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Jodhpur
Bengaluru, India
“Sub standard compared to other Taj properties”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hotel completely lacks the vibrancy and warmth of other Taj hotels.

While we decided to take a stroll in the night around the pool, we walked through the dining corridors to reach there and found the place infested with insects of all kinds. It completely grossed me out and we rushed back to the room.

The plumbing in the bathroom was totally off and I was surprised to see such badly maintained showers in a Taj property!

One particular staff (whose name I didn't bother to note), deserves a special mention for his rudeness. I think his behavior soured up the experience in total for us.

The only feature that was up to mark was the housekeeping.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kirsche47
GatewayJodhpur, General Manager at The Ummed Jodhpur, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Mr Kirsche,
We would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. At the outset please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I was extremely perturbed to know about the points mentioned by you and have taken the matter very seriously with the concerned departmental heads especially pertaining to the insects by the poolside and the plumbing issues that affected the stay experience and have initiated corrective action. I have also commenced a revisit of our brand standards and checklists to ensure these lapses on our part do not occur again.
was aghast to note that there has been a behavorial issue that has come to light, irrespective
that as a hospitality major that emphasises greatly on courtesy , responsiveness and warmth amongst its training for the associates, especially thefront line team,this kind of an issue is simply unthinkable. owever, I would greatly obliged if you could elaborate a little more on thesubject especialy the interaction and the apearanceof the associate so that it could aid us in our quest to identify the root cause .
It is of great importance to us when a guest takes time to let us know about our product and services which you recently experienced. It is only in this way that we are able to step back from our day to day operations and look at any comments-both constructive and positive to ensure that we make the necessary changes in our operations and that this does not happen again.

Your patronage to The Gateway Hotel Jodhpur is extremely important to us and I request you to kindly treat this incident as an aberration. I look forward to meeting up with you during your next stay with us and assure you of our finest services at all times.

kindest regards,
Indranil Ray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Pinhal Novo, Portugal
Reviewed September 9, 2013

A very good but light meal and a very polite employee in the restaurant is one of the best moments we've had in this hotel. After that, a nice walk in the gardens and a good night sleep gave us the relax we needed for the following day of journey in india. The hotel corridors also should be visited, since there are a couple of decoration items that worth being seen and eventually photographed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GatewayJodhpur, General Manager at The Ummed Jodhpur, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
DEAR MR NOVO PINHAL,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. It has been our constant endeavor to provide consistent service in order to exceed your expectations. Your comment about the overall services and staff delights me and it gives me great pleasure to share your kind thoughts with the team members and I am sure they will be delighted to hear it.

It is of great importance to us when a guest takes time to let us know about our product and services which you recently experienced. It is only in this way that we are able to step back from our day to day operations and look at any comments-both constructive and positive to ensure that we make the necessary changes in our operations.
Your review does mention the grand coridors and the worksof at that can be photographed while ona walk through. we thank you once again for a most wonderful review.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, in the near future and assuring you the best attention and services at all times

kindest regards
Jaipur
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Gateway chain from Taj, gives you a higher bar to start with in expectations.
Well I walked into the Hotel with jackedup expectations, but to my pleasant surprise I was in for a much better experience.
The property although a new construction, is built in palatial style and it has achieved the desired effect.
The staff makes the real difference, sharp and courteous, ready to treat the guests like VIPs, is something which I shall remember for a long time.
Food was good and even made to order in the buffet.

Overall I would recommend a stay.

Room Tip: Go in off season
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr Sanjeev,

I have noted your keen observations on the look and feel of the buiding and your appreciation onthe palatial concept of the architecture. In fact,the contruction of the bulding was done keping in mind the palatial monuments that were the hallmarks of the achitectural heritageof Rajasthan owned by the nobility in the era gone by. Hafeez Contractor, one of the legendary architects of modern India designed this building.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, in the near future and assuring you of the best attention at all times,
kindest regards

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel in february 2013 on my honeymoon ;) well from the booking to the reservation must say truly brilliant,the location of the hotel is a bit far from the city, if you have your own vehicle its nice or ensure you tell the hotel to help you on a transfer.
I Got the reservation and got a surprise at the room decorated with flowers (had not asked for it) like i say Taj reads your mind, Room was facing the lawns whereby in the early morning you get to see the peacocks also perhaps in the evening as well, The rooms are well appointed and fantastically taken care of, The in room menu is truly a foodies delight and for those who are health conscious they have good options, the night was pleasant considering it was February the weather is perfect oh forgot they welcome the guests in good way ;) the welcome drinks are a variety , The fact that we stayed for 2 days it was worth it, they have a pool plus gym plus a spa so your all sorted after a good days work, moving onto the breakfast the staff is really at its best the menu was a variety and you can ask for a special out of the menu as well , they make good aloo parathas without oil :p , the staff new that we are going to be on a sightseeing he was helpful enough to pack it for us, so it was good :) moving on we wern't there for lunch so cant comment on it but considering the breakfast was awsome , im sure the lunch would be nice, moving onto the Hotel as a whole it was value for money and a perfect getaway for a weekend :) consider the weather to be at your side cause Jodhpur is best enjoyed in winters from October to February , over all this Hotel is a perfect place to be with family, have a great time with your wife or just spend sometime alone with your self :)

Room Tip: The lawn Facing Rooms are truly a delight :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Dhruv,

On reading through your review , we were delighted to note your kind words of appreciation especially pertaining to the floral decoration in your room as part of the amenities that we specially offer to honeymoon couples, the encouraging remarks on the gymnasium, swimming pool and spa facilities.ou have also mentioned about the oil free aloo paratha that you hd enjoyed for breakfast. all your wonderful appreciative feedback has been conveyed to the respective departmental heads and cascaded down to all the associate level frontline staff.
The team is simply delighted to hear such kind words and this would go a long way in boosting theur morale that would contribute so majorly to our quest for achieving operational excellence and providing seamless serviceto our esteemedguests

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, in the near future and assuring you the best attention and services.

Kindest Regards
Rajkot
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited Jodhpur this August end. And what good our decision to stay in this hotel turned out to be!!!!!

Though finding this hotel was a bit difficult but the same was squared by the warm welcome and smooth check-in process. We booked 2 standard rooms in the Monsoon Package.

The hotel is located at the outskirts of the city but all the necessary items and local transportation is easily available just outside the hotel.

I would like to specifically mention here that the reservation staff (Ms Meena Bishnoi) was very courteous and helpful. At the time of check-in, we got a wonderful surprise that our rooms were upgraded to Suite Rooms on complimentary basis.

The suits were very well furnished with all the modern amenities and gave a sense of sheer luxury. The bed room and the living rooms both had large glass opening to gardens and gave ample light and good view.

The food at the hotel was also good. We had two breakfasts and two dinners there in the three night stay we had there. The overall experience for food was very good. In the breakfast they give ample options and the quality and taste was good. We prefer spicy food, and that is the area where we got somewhat disappointed on our first dinner. there was no issue in the taste as such, just it was not enough spicy to lure our taste-buds!! The second time we had dinner there was the Birthday of my 5 years old daughter and my friend. And they rose upto the occasion by giving us a dinner we would never forget!!!

As regards the recreational and entertainment activities, we used the swimming pool and the same was good enough, i would not say the best we have seen. They need to give a pool bar though. puppet show and cultural dance show was good entertainment.

we have read many reviews about the cleanliness issues due to pigeons, but did not find such issue when we stayed there. the cleanliness in and around the property was very good. house keeping was also decent. We had an issue of phones not working, but the same was resolved promptly at late hours also.

As regards the bar, i would say that it is not the best bar menu and drinks i have seen and had, but then also, there was not anything which i can complain about. they just need to have some more cocktails and drinks. but whatever they had and they gave us was good.

Lastly i would say, a wonderful property, courteous and enthusiastic staff, Good food and nice drinks, what else a person needs for a happening holiday????

Room Tip: Opt for a Ground floor room, as the accessibility to Restaurant, Bar and Pool is better from there...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gpbarai
GatewayJodhpur, General Manager at The Ummed Jodhpur, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Mr Barai,

Your kind words of appreciation especially pertaining to Meena, our reservation executive's interaction and the attentive associates and chefs during your second breakfast experience has been conveyed across to theconcerned staff.
your observtions pertaining to the phone lines not working, the scope in improving the bar and beverage list along with a better spread and presentation while looking a the cocKtail menu and the presentation has been noted, discussed and conveyed to therespective departments and we shall be ensuring tha corrective measures are shortly in placeto ensure that there s .

Kindest Regards
Mumbai
Reviewed September 1, 2013

after having a very average experience at Mapple Abhay I switched to The Gateway on next visit and was quite happy with what I witnessed.

Right from the warm welcome the stay was quite pleasant. The hotel was not at all crowded, room was spacious with most of the amenities. staff - very courteous & helpful. tried the restaurant and bar - no complaints there as well. sit out evening tea near swimming pool was neat.

Pigeons seem to be the only problem in Jodhpur, it's not hotel or loation specific but I found a generous population of pigeons in the city with Gateway being no exception. some folks may find location of this hotel a minus since it's a bit away from downtown but I personally prefer such hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Sagar,

I am extremely grateful for the kind words of appreciation especially pertaining to your experience in savoring the evening tea by the swimming poolside.I have taken note of your observation pertaining to the mess that results in on acount of the existence of pigeons all across the periphery of the hotel building.In fact, we are in the process of shortly arriving at a solution to this long pending problem that is also rampant in other parts of Jodhpur.

Kindest regards
Rajkot
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Before checking in to the Gateway Hotel at Jodhpur, I was expecting sky-high, as it is one of the Taj group hotel. But, on stay of 3N/4D, I realized that I was expecting much less than the reality, whether it is the quality of services or luxury or leisure or the premises or anything else. Me and my family are very much satisfied with the overall experience of stay at The Gateway Hotel, Jodhpur - Rajsthan, of course with a small adjustment or two like not having jet-spray or hand-shower in the toilet or we felt less variety of food items int he dinner. But in all it was a memorable experience to be at Gateway, Jodhpur. We are thankful to the Gateway for making our vacation full of leisure, joy and happiness together with a nice tour which many historical facts known to us which were not known to us before. Thanks team Gateway, thanks again...

Room Tip: Just be prepared to be 12/13 km away from the main land of Jodhpur. Whenever leave the hotel for sig...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GatewayJodhpur, General Manager at The Ummed Jodhpur, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Dear Mr Prashant,
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising the Gateway Hotel Jodhpur in course of your brief stopover at the city.

I have noted your obervations pertaining to the non availability of the jet spray and the hand shower . May assure you tha in the coming months on certain valley dates we are inspecting the rooms and every shortcoming that s neded to rectify in order todeliver a seamless service experience.

I along with my team greatly value your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, in the near future and assuring you with our best attention and services.

Regards