“Must stay here to see what is meant by good servie”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Victoria

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #4 of 103 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Durgapur, India
“Must stay here to see what is meant by good servie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Great hotel to stay. Outlooks may not be very attractive but as I stepped in my thoughts were redefined. Beautiful rooms with grand decorations, very few hotel offer Dove soap as accessories but this hotel gave pepsodent toothbrushes, Dove soap. Nice people all around, great view of the fort (Sonar Kella), roof top restaurant awesome, staffs are very co-cordial and responsive & caring. Good food. Manager Sushil is a great person, always available and affable. Felt like staying in a close relative's house. Packed food for our onward journey on his own onus as a surprise to us. So loving and caring. Wish to be once again with this people and very hotel should have staffs like this. Thanks to Mr, Pankaj Purohit the owner also for all this.

Room Tip: room no. 7 or 5 both are great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights in this magic little hotel on a recent trip to India. The room was incredible looking over the old city. A little window balcony a great place to experience sunrise at the walls of the old fort and the swooping kites as the city wakes. A real experience set off by evenings and mornings on the rooftop with some home made food and a drink. The staff were more like family than workers and our every need was happily provided. Would be back there in a flash.

Room Tip: The front room overlooking the city if you can
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kim L
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed here with a friend last week for 2 nights and had a fantastic time. Nestled in the back of the fort the views from the rooftop open air lounge is incredible and a great place to watch the sunset. The hotel is set up like a home and the rooms are authentically decorated. The rooms are clean and comfortable and our room had a great view of jaisalmer.

The best part of this hotel is the manager, pankaj, and histeam of hard working staff. Anything you need can be catered for. Cold drinks, a takeaway from a restaurant if you dont fancy the tasty indian thali dinners they provide. Pankaj was great and we had a couple of great chats with him and he is very friendly and down to earth.

I loved the breakfast pancakes. Overall i would highly recommend this hotel with a homestay style experience. The stairs are quite steep in the hotel so i would suggest it isnt suitable for the very young or aged guest. Wouldnt change a thing about it though as it added to the character of the place and created some character.

On my return to jaisalmer i will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 1 had a great view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I never felt away from home when staying at this hotel... When it comes to their hospitality you will not regret a penny. They were on their toes to be at your service. Firstly I booked a smaller room worth 2500 through internet but after arrival they upgraded me free to a larger room worth 5k(with options of 3 rooms to select from!!!!). Rooms have great views of Golden city and desert. Their roof top is so fascinating.... viewing sunset from their roof top will make you feel that you are in right place in jaisalmer.

Room's interior are unique and tastefully decorated.. Their breakfast menu is western and it was yummy... I arrived at their hotel by 12 noon still they managed to provide me breakfast.
Then I had my day at leisure and sat on roof top sharp 6 for sun set, followed by dinner. Dinner was Indian thali with roti, rice, 2 vegetable and a pappad.

Sushil was excellent host and he gave me travel plans and arranged a excellent desert safari. Initially I had plans for khuri but sushil told me he can get me to a private sand dunes near sam.
Yes desert safari to Quiet dunes (4-5 Kms insides sams) was excellent and only we 3-4 guys were on sand dunes for sun set.

Finally on my day of return my train was by evening 5 but they managed to give me a spare room even after check out. I am very much touched when Sushil told me food in Jaisalmer-Delhi intercity is bad and packed dinner for my family. And room boy bijay doesnt talk much but serves you whatever asked, such a nice guy.....

So I would strongly recommend this hotel for their hospitality, location and great views.....

Room Tip: I booked room number 3 but I was given room 5 (kohinoor suit).... Kohinoor suit is excellent.. go fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for two nights. The guys there were absolutely amazing. They couldn't help us enough even sending a Rickshaw to meet us off the train and taking us to the hotel for free. We felt so welcome and the room we had was great. Small, but perfect especially as you have the rooftop to sit on and don't want to go to India to sit in a room.

We were able to leave our bags when we went on a camel tour and come back and take a shower in the hotel the day after we had checked out. Then the guys organised a Rickshaw to take us to the bus station.

Finally my Girlfriend left her dress in the hotel when we went to Jaipur. We called them to see if we could pay to send it to the UK. Within two days the had sent it to us in Jaipur and for absolutely free of charge.

I can't speak highly enough about this place. Really loved it.

Room Tip: We had room near the top so you can go out on the rooftop. Nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben A
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel is absolutely beautiful - it's an old Haveli building with stunning stonework and lovely interior spaces. It has been decorated perfectly, and it has a wonderful atmosphere thanks to the well chosen antique furniture in each of the rooms and reception spaces.
It's just inside the walls of jaisalmer fort, and although its a bit of a maze to get through, dodging cows, tuktuks and scooters, you wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in the city. The hotel offers wonderful views from the rooms and roof terrace through the fort wall to the city below.
The food in hotel Victoria - breakfast (on the rooftop), lunch and dinner - was the freshest and tastiest we had eaten on our holiday. The service was impeccable, and the staff were friendly and accomodating. They sorted out a camel safari for us, which we would highly recommend, and was especially useful being picked up from and returned to the hotel.
As we were the only guests in the hotel we were offered a complimentary room upgrade. A/C worked like a dream and although the room didn't have a TV we didn't have any need for one. The shower was a bit of a letdown, but this was probably due to desert water pressure and not the hotel's fault, though it was also pretty cold!
We would highly recommend hotel Victoria to anyone, and can't wait to get back there ourselves. We stayed in a number of hotels during our trip to India and this was by far the best.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank CameronClarke89
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

The hotel has a great hospitality . Pankajji is just a good host and the food and service is brilliant. I still can be reminded of the aloo parathas and masala chai.
The rooms are a bit small and may not be worth the price u pay for but the thrill of living in a fort is just too good. Overall even the desert safari which was organized was great. Might be slightly overpriced but the ten stay was great.
With regard to travel with Rajasthan would advise a good driver and guide as he is a gentleman.His name is papsa ji.He is from jodhpurs and a great guide.He took us to kichaan as we'll where the Siberian migratory birds cme in dec
Drawback of the stay is u need to take a Rick up and down from the city

Room Tip: Room 2 is the best, have given a rating of 3 for rooms based on the size of the room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family