“Great place and potential, poor service, maintenance and cleanliness”

Hotel Garh Jaisal Haveli
Ranked #8 of 106 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is a pitty that this interesting hotel complex at a great location with great views inside the fort is so badly maintained and dirty. It is not the fault of the very friendly but incompetent staff, but of the management, if there is a mess at the reception, bed linnens are spoiled, bathroom installations are loose and staff members are sleeping in the guest premises. No wonder we did not get the sweet purple room we had booked. So how is it possible, that the hotel got a trip advisor award for 2012? The web page of Garh Jaisal is misleading and of no help to the Jaisalmer tourisme.
Edith and Ulrich Kull, Switzerland, 29-30 January 2013

Room Tip: Do not trust the reservation system
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had booked the Sweet Purple room for 2 nights long before my dates of travel. The pick up from the railway station was smooth and efficient. However upon reaching the place I was told that my choice of room was not available for that day. I was assured that I would be shifted to the Sweet purple room the very next day. The air about the place and the first appearance had already won me over. I got a choice of the available rooms and selected the Rising Sun room more for the fact that it was on the ground floor and easily accessible. The room was well laid out, well furnished and had a spectacular view of Jaisalmer town. Sitting in the hanging balcony and sipping the delicious masala tea made my day. The very next morning I was shifted to the Sweet Purple room and what a room it was. Spacious and attractive, we fell in love with the room at the first instant. The bed was huge, the mattress was comfortable and the blankets clean. The extra bed too was comfortable. The bathrooms of both the rooms were efficient and served their purpose well except that there was a problem with the adjustment of hot and cold water.
The service was fantastic. The Nepalese boys seemed adept at their work without being intrusive. All the tasks were well adhered to and were done satisfactorily. I also took the Safari to Sam from them and a guide for the fort tour next day. The experience was good except that I came to know later that I was charged a premium for this. However not much complaint on this front as the same was compensated to some extent by providing me with a wonderful car at reasonable rates for drop to Jodhpur.
This was one little nugget for us. The food was inconsistent in that at times it was extremely tasty but at other times it was bad. The same was the case with masala tea also. At times it was very tasty but at some times it was bad.
Over all experience
What a wonderful place. Sipping on to the tea at the terrace or at the balcony looking the sun rise at the horizon was an unforgettable experience. The resort has an unbeatable location and extremely cool and stunning ambience. Will return to the place again and again.

Room Tip: I loved the sweet purple the most. However one may not be so finicky as all the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for 4 nights in early December. We arrived by train at midnight and were picked up by one of the hotel staff. Upon arriving at the hotel we were asked if we were hungry, the cook had stayed up to make us some delicious fresh paranthas and masala chai. We didn't get charged for these extra services. All the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The service was extremely good and personal.
The hotel has a very good location, beautiful clean rooms, roof terrace and amazing views. We slept very well. Breakfast was also very good, far above average and a good selection. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to have dinner here.
I would definitely stay here again !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I knew Hotel Garh Jaisal was a good choice because I had that vibe, you know, the one you get when you travel a lot. Even still, I was pleased beyond my wildest dreams. The room was dreamy, the chai was divine, the bed was comfortable, the food fantastic, the views were out of the world and even though I went alone, not once did I feel lonely.The owners decision to leave the guests in the hands of his trusted employee, Papu, is a good one. If you need help with anything, my guide and friend Papu, can help you get it done. I am very grateful to the staff, they were all so kind and generous. I look so forward to returning.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are different and they are all beautiful. Some have a sunrise view, so if you want...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Perfectly located, tucked away in a quiet corner of the fort, this small, charming hotel has a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Our room was modestly sized and simply furnished but it was clean, comfortable and it had style. It also had a balcony with a great view across the city.

The rooftop restaurant boasts an even better view, and its wide, comfortable seats make it easy to while away the time there.

We enjoyed a quiet, chilled out New Year's Eve supper on the roof of Garh Jaisal, grateful of no compulsory 'banquet' or other organised fun that seems to be almost ubiquitous at this time of year.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Garh Jaisal is situated just at a corner of the fort, inside the fort. Thus you can have a view of the two sides of the Jaisalmer town. While the rooms give you view of any one side, but you can get a nice panoramic view from the terrace. Each of the rooms have a unique decor, thus you have a red room, a blue room, a green room, etc. The toiletries provided were of good quality.

Being within the fort, the tourist vehicles and taxis will have to stop outside the fort. One can either walk to the hotel, or take an auto rickshaw (tuk tuk) to reach the hotel.
The stay there was memorable, because that gave me the experience of staying in a living fort, sharing it with about few thousands residents of the fort. Staying in the fort, I could reach the tourist attractions within the fort quite easily, each being within a walking distance of a few minutes. Also, I could cover the few other attractions outside the fort by walking. The inside of the fort may not be as clean as you would like it to be, and be prepared to find occasional cow dung around. There are also a few dogs along with the cows within the fort. You might get those on your way to the hotel. But once inside the hotel, none of these irritants come on the way of your relaxation.
This hotel provides you with breakfast, but doesn't have a restaurant of its own. Thus, you will need to go out for lunch and dinner. You can go to restaurants within or outside the fort. However, you can get tea or coffee as many times you want, and you are not charged for the same. Same was the case with supply of mineral water. Anit, Padam, and their friendly team, is always around to take care of you. The best part is that you would always find them around with smiling faces. They can also get you food from nearby restaurant, if you want them to. We preferred to go outside the fort and have our meals at the different restaurants there. You need to walk just a few minutes to come out of the fort. That also allowed us to steal a glimpse of the fort from below, which looks magnificent every time.
The rooms are clean, and quite well maintained. Some of the rooms provide you with the view of the sunrise. However, don't expect any TV or phone in your room. In fact, they make this clear in the very beginning. I didn't find any requirement for the same other. There was very good supply of cold and hot water through out the day, even at early mornings. The have a boiler for the purpose, and thus you don't have to switch on a geyser and wait for the water to get warm.
I had requested the hotel for one night desert safari, and they arranged for the same. It included pickup, drive to Sam, visiting Bada Bag and Kuldhara en route, camel ride to sand dunes to view the sunset, camel ride to a desert camp, and return drive next morning. I had read lost of reviews about the sand dunes being littered with plastic bottles, and other junk by the tourists, and wanted to visit a less-touristy area. As promised, they took us to a comparatively non-touristy area,which was pretty clean. There were around five groups there, and the camp was just near the dunes. This camp, Prince Desert Camp, was the only one in that area. Mukesh, the owner of Garh Jaisal, arranged everything very nicely, and didn't give me any reason to complain. On my way to Sam, I could see a lot many desert camps, one after the other. Thanks to Mukesh, our one was solitary allowing us to enjoy the stay to the fullest. I could also walk into the dunes next morning to catch a glimpse of the sun rise.
Book in advance to get the room of your choice. The photos of each room is available in their website, and you can choose accordingly. We stayed in the Green room on the upper floor, and had a wonderful view of both the city and sunrise. There was a nice Jharoka too to sit on and watch the life below.

Room Tip: Take the Green room, it is of good size, and gives a wonderful view of sunrise, and the town below...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just loved this place, and left feeling as if we now have family in India. Property manager Mukesh is a man of big-heart, and his influence shows up in the wonderful staff, including Padam, Amit, Papu and so many others. Great service, excellent food and coffee - gorgeous old-stone rooms. Originally, I was told that they only had space at their hotel "next door" and was concerned that these rooms wouldn't be as good, however I took a peek at these rooms while I was in Jaiselmer and they are absolutely wonderful.

Lovely place! You won't regret it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family