“Sit Relax and Enjoy the Heaven”

Hotel Garh Jaisal Haveli
Ranked #7 of 113 Hotels in Jaisalmer
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Well what can I say, The Place is absolutely amazing and great Panorama, the hosts are tremendous. The services levels are second to none,

Mukesh ( Owner ) and Nepalis Staff were an absolute pleasure, they know exactly what customer service is and always go that extra mile for the guests 24/7 and with willingness and a smile. I really do not know where they get their energy from. Make Phone Call in India at no cost and no deposit, absolute trust is given to their guests. They provided details of an excellent taxi driver ( Dharmu ) , who was always polite, well presented, informative, on time and available, even at very short notice.
Hotel also provide food, cook at next door and Boys sets up the table. After dinner all you need to do is deposit the crockery and cutlery into a sealed box outside and in the morning its gone, can't be any easier and no dirty pots to wash or laying around. The food is fantastic, so much so we availed of this service for 2 of the 3 nights of our stay. Well worth the money, and still cheaper than a standard restaurant meal in India.
The Hotel was a dream, the interior design was amazing and carefully thought out, if I had any slight concerns it would be the clothes storage, which was a challenge for us as we had brought far too much clothing, for those visitors packing sensibly the storage would be sufficient I am sure.

We will definately return for a quiet break, probably each year. Well done to both Mukesh and Nepalis for achieving such incredibly high standards of service and care. You deserve this review and No disappointment or no complain. Just Perfect

Angel Maria
Visited 4th Aug
California.

Room Tip: Chose Green room or Sweet Purple room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 12, 2012

The location is unbeatable - inside the fort, with fabulous views. All the local sights are within walking distance, as are great restaurants.

The hotel only has a few rooms, all different, but very nicely decorated with local fabrics and artifacts. The rooftop terrace is a fantastic spot for breakfast, sunset or a late night drink under starry skies.

The staff is simly amazing - we arrived on a 6 am train, and they gave us a room when we arrived, and went out of their way to make a shower available before our 5 pm train a couple of days later. They also arrange well priced camel safaris with a local company.

(Of course lonely planet says to not stay inside the fort because of the water problems; not sure that boycott will solve the problem)

One thing that is really annoying is that the view is so good that local guides take their groups up to the terrace while you are having breakfast. Not sure whether they pay commission or what the deal is...

Room Tip: All the rooms are online - each slightly different. With kid(s) the purple room is great, for a roma...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I wish I had read more of the reviews...and not just the positive ones, before booking a room here. I agree with what much of the other "terrible" reviewers have said.

I will also add that I found the owners to be very unaccomodating. I ended up having to shorten my stay by one night, and the owner was not willing to do anything to reimburse even a portion of the money I had spent on the room for the night. He told me more than once on the phone that he would talk to me about it later. The one time I actually was able to talk to him in person was when he came stumbling into the hotel one evening having had so much to drink that he could barely speak. Needless to say, it wa not an effective conversation.

This was by far my least favorite hotel in all of India - and one of the more expensive.

Yes, it was cool to sleep in a fort, but had I known ahead of time that the hotels and other inhabitants were doing great damage to the fort, I would never have booked a room there.

• Stayed: August 2012
9  Thank Missytraveler75
mukeshkila, Owner at Hotel Garh Jaisal Haveli, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

We only allow refunds for cancellations when we are notified one month before. We believe this is a fair policy which is exercised by most hotels around India. Furthermore, this customer made the booking through an online travel agent, so any issues with cancellation and refunds should rightfully be brought up with the agent. It seems unreasonable to demand a refund when the hotel has not received its payment from the agent.

As for the allegation of being drunk while dealing with customers, the conversation was had over the phone, so its unlikely the customer can fairly judge the mental state of the owner. One only has to read our numerous excellent good reviews to see that behavior like that is highly uncharacteristic of the Garh Jaisalmer staff.

We hope that our future customers take these facts into consideration when planning a stay at Garh Jaisalmer.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a room at Garh Jaisal on recommendation from a close friend who stayed here a few months back. We are extremely happy for that reco because this was our favorite stay in India hands down, and definitely one of the top 5 we have experienced on a global scale. Sounds like a big title to give, so here is why: 1) the location is top notch, at a quiet and quaint courtyard inside the fairy tale-esque fort in Jaisalmer, which looks like a sandcastle and has charm beyond words. That means more relaxed, excellent views, and hello! you're in an 800-year-old fort; 2) the facilities are authentically built and styled in traditional Jaisalmer haveli fashion, which felt like sleeping in a carved stone palace. Everything was clean and beautiful, lovely jewel toned cushions to relax on, and the rooftop terrace felt comfortable and inviting like a second home; 3) the staff are simply amazing and accommodating in every way, with one goal in mind: to ensure your stay is as wonderful as possible. They aren't there to squeeze every last rupee out of you (free bottled water, coffee, and tea anytime, plentiful and delicious made-to-order breakfast, etc), and they absolutely aren't going to push a camel safari or anything else on you. Puri and Mukesh (the owner) personally went out of their way to make us feel at home, even helping us with the rest of our India travels; 4) the food is superb, some of the best Indian dishes we have had, and their sister property Lal Garh (outside the fort) has a comparably delish restaurant too. This place infused a sense of love for India for us, after the hustle and craziness that exists in the country, Garh Jaisal is a sanctuary. If we come back to Jaisalmer, this is the only place we will stay, and recommend to our own friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed at Garh Jaisal for 4 nights in March and simply loved the experience that we had. Jaisalmer Fort is a really interesting place to explore, but the experience of staying in the Fort itself, and enjoying the stunning rooftop terrace that they have, is second to none. We spent much of our four days up there and were even able to order food in from a nearby restaurant so that we could continue to enjoy the rooftop.

The staff there are willing and eager to please and made our stay really very enjoyable. The building itself is beautiful and because it is inside the walls of the fort itself, the stone keeps the whole place really cool.

The only complaint I would have about Garh Jaisal is that it is such a stunning rooftop that you get quite a few tour groups during the course of the day visiting it - which isn't really a problem - as once they leave you can feel very smug in the knowledge that you are staying there and get to enjoy the rooftop all day, not just for an hour!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sarahlrhodes
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I returned to Garh Jaisal after a couple of years to find it pretty much unchanged. I had a great time again and still highly recommend this hotel. The one addition has been a beautiful gazebo added to the rooftop which provides a bit of shade and fanned cooling on those hot sunny days. The rooftop patio and gazebo are a beautiful place to just relax, read, search the net using their wi-fi or to simply take in the feel of this gorgeous city. The staff, both new and old, are as accommodating and helpful as during my previous visit. There was a wedding in the family and the party in the square outside the hotel was an amazing experience! The family are very warm and welcoming. Highly recommended once again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank Ardent_Traveller_11
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This little boutique hotel inside the old fort is one of my most favorite hotels in the entire world! My best friend and I only planned on staying 2 nights and ended up extending our stay to 5 nights. We could have easily stayed well over a week. The guys that run the hotel, Puri and Mukesh became close friends and made us feel at home immediatly. They were so hospitable and proud of their jewel of a town, Jaisalmer.

The location is inside the "living fort" and looks over the top of the golden city with views that draw in many travelers just to hang out and photograph the vista. Breakfast is served on the rooftop terrace and because it was low season we were able to request each morning what we wanted to eat and they would make it for us. I am pretty sure if you really wanted something specific, they would make it happen! In the evenings we would have drinks and dinner on the rooftop while watching weddings parading through the streets. It was quite memorable.

The rooms were clean and comforting with AC that offered quite the respite from the desert heat outside. Many rooms have balconies with plush cushions for relaxing and hanging out.

The service was always superb. Anything we needed or requested was attended to right away. The boys take so much pride in their hotel and were always wanting to share the history and local highlights of their town. Puri took us on a tour of the town the first day and made sure we had an authentic experience rather than hitting only the touristy places. Not to mention, they know EVERYONE in the town of Jaisalmer, which was so fun because we got to meet many locals we wouldn't have met if we hadn't stayed at Hotel Garh Jaisal.

They will organize anything you want to do. In fact, I would hold off on booking anything until you get to the hotel. If you want an authentic experience - wait and they will advise on what you should see and do. They booked us on a camel safari that was unbelievable. We pulled up in our jeep to the side of the road near the dunes with just two camels waiting for us and no other tourists. This exemplifies the style of activities they would book you on.

I am a designer and expressed interest in seeing and buying some textiles. They made sure I visited some of the best spots in the area and even went as far to reach out to some of their friends that knew of some factories outside of Jodhpur. They are EXTREMELY accommodating and genuinely care about their guests having the best and most authentic experience possible.

I will absolutely be back to the hotel and cannot wait to bring my family!

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice. We stayed in the Purple room. The view from the balcony is amazing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends