“Brilliant!”

Ranked #8 of 104 Hotels in Jaisalmer
London
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed November 2, 2007

Based on previous reviews, my husband and I decided on Garh Jaisal. I'm very glad we did as it was a highlight of our time in Jaisalmer. The moment Mukesh greeted us at the fort gate, we knew we were in for a treat. The crazy ride on the rickshaw into the heart of the fort was exhilarating! The moment we arrived, we were greeted with yummy chai and met Raj, who was a brilliant guide and general pleasure to be with. Can't recommend this place enough, great nights spent on the roof watching the stars overheard, looking out into the town and it's festivities below, playing cards with Raj and drinking chai! It was the most relaxing place (having no TVs was a plus), really recommend it. We arrived with no guidebook, no preconceptions, and it turned out to be fantastic - thanks to Raj who took us to all the hotspots!

• Liked — The romantic balcony
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheJadedTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2007

This hotel was really one of the most comfortable that we stayed at in all of Rajasthan and I would highly recommend it.
The views from our window seat - sunrise over the city- were exquisite.
Free tea, coffee and bottled water were a nice little "extra" , the breakfast was delicious and the Nepali waiters were delightful as was the ubiquitous Raj.
We had a nice big clean bathroom and plenty of hot water and free internet access .
This was one of our "treat" nights and cost around AUS $130.00

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, hospitality. Unique.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank harryhill
United States
Reviewed August 30, 2007

Knowing India a bit, before I got to Garh Jaisal I started thinking, can it really be as good as the reviews? (I have to say, I wondered who was actually writing them as well). And then we went there and I knew it was true. The hotel is in the corner of the old fort, with wonderful rooms with amazing views (we had the sweet purple and the green rooms), and the rooftop is excellent to just watch the town below. I can't say enough of Moukesh and the staff-- they are so excellent! The desert is golden and dry, and it was hot the first day we arrived, but the rooms were cool with the a/c. The first morning there I awoke and it looked dark out, so I went to the window and say a huge sheet of rain heading our way. As it only rains like this once every few years, it got very interesting. The power was gone, and the water poured into our rooms, flooding the floors. It could have been stressful, but Moukesh and the boys said to stay on our beds and relax, and they would bring us tea and we could have breakfast by candlelight. I thought it was amazingly well handled. And by the afternoon the room was dry and clean and all fresh. It was a lot of fun.

This is probably the best place we stayed on our trip, and I couldn't recommend it more highly. Other hotels in Rajasthan should take note of how Garh Jaisal is run.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank trientalis
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 22, 2007

While I have been a frequent user of TripAdvisor, this is the first time that the quality of a hotel has made me actually write a review! The hotel itself is very charming - very well kept, on a quiet side street with great views. However, it is the hospitality of Mukesh, Raj and their colleagues that really made this the highlight of our stay in Northern India. I am a frequent business and leisure traveller (currently on a 6 month assignment to India from the US) and I can say that I have never felt as welcome as at the Garh Jaisal!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bradfordplip
Marseille, France
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Generally, hotels as so cheap in India that you can afford once in your trip to elect an upper class hotel to spend the night. We decided to go for this one and we have been fully satisfied. Excellent location, the whole haveli is spotless and views from the rooms are fantastic. This is really something to live. A rooftop is accessible and allows to have all the city roofs in a glimpse. The manager told us that a stone roof will be built next year and that is the only thing that was missing. The personel is helpful, and the manager even helped us to book our move to the next city. Thank you Mr Mukesh....

• Stayed August 2007
3 Thank FrancoParis
Connecticut, USA
Reviewed May 4, 2007

This hotel is great is all respects. The rooms are beautiful, with great views, western style bathrooms, and many have air conditioning.

Raj and Mukesh are attentive hosts. Raj became my personal tour guide, including rides around the city by motorcycle. The camel safari through the hotel is not to be missed! The restaurant next door will deliver dinner to the hotel's rooftop patio which makes for a memorable evening.

Garh Jaisal is a hidden gem. If I return to the area, it would be my first choice for it's beauty, excellent service and location inside the fort. Special thanks to Raj for introducing me to the best lassi in Rajasthan.

• Liked — The views were incredible
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank CathyinConnecticut
Philippines
Reviewed April 15, 2007

The best hotel, and not the most expensive, of our whole trip around India.
The staff there is what actually makes the difference.

• Liked — staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple